The Student Room Group

Motivation in A levels

Im in a bit of trouble at the moment - as im in the last part of my AS levels and i have lost the motivation and confidence in myself to do well. My teachers have told me that i can get good grades but i need to push myself, but i seem to keep 'loosing interest' (not quite like that but i couldnt think of a better decription. Really i just wanted to know if there is anyone else who is in the same boat as me. :frown:

Im doing Chemistry, Physics, Maths and History (yes i know the history is a strange choice) - and i am aiming for an A in Physics, Maths and Chemistry and a B in History - but at the moment its looking to be BBBC with the most likly A being in Physics, then maths.

Also what is everyone doing to motivate themselves? If you have any advice i would be very thankful.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
When you get your grades they will be crap like you have suggested, compare your crap grades to your smart ass friends who get good grades. Jealousy should motivate.
Knowing that your grades are going to be pretty average/****(depending on how u see it) should be enough to motivate in itself. One of the best ways to motivate yourself is too look at some of the University requirements for your subject of choice.

Just become friends with a smart ass arrogant person, he will annoy you so much and make you so jealous that you will just have to sit down and revise.
Btw: When it comes to revision, do it atleast 3 days in a row, once your in the routine it will become second nature to you.
Reply 2
I was exactly the same doing my AS levels. The only thing that worked for me was thinking of uni - admissions always look at AS level results and I pictured going to a really crap uni and it really motivated me to do well. Apart from that give yourself targets like learning a certain number of formulas or historians and when you achieve it give yourself a reward.

Sorry if that's not much help but it worked for me :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by owen1994
When you get your grades they will be crap like you have suggested, compare your crap grades to your smart ass friends who get good grades. Jealousy should motivate.
Knowing that your grades are going to be pretty average/****(depending on how u see it) should be enough to motivate in itself. One of the best ways to motivate yourself is too look at some of the University requirements for your subject of choice.

Just become friends with a smart ass arrogant person, he will annoy you so much and make you so jealous that you will just have to sit down and revise.
Btw: When it comes to revision, do it atleast 3 days in a row, once your in the routine it will become second nature to you.

Heh i guess thats the harsh truth - but the only grade i would hate to get is the C in any of the three Physics, Maths or Chemistry if i somwhow ****ed up that much...
This may sound lame, but everyday i watch a couple of motivational videos of off youtube. they seem to work for me.
and i go through a series of questions in my head like: I have the mental Capacity, then why should i under preform?
Other people have done it before me why cant i? what makes them better than me?
Reply 5
hey, i think i am in the same boat as you i am fed up of A levels>> but when you hear my story :frown: im sure you'll feel better about yourself... :smile: ive failed all three Alevel exams and cried about it :yikes: now i'm resitting all of them :O and i now have 5 Alevel exams like 3 exams wasn't enough in the first place! and i don't think i've revised anywhere near enough to get good grades i really really want to pass my Alevels and go to uni but i feel like a dumbass! i fell i'm really stupid and i can;t think positively at all!! :frown: i feel like im gonna fail agian...>> i really need help!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest