The Student Room Group

Greenwich vs. UEA vs. Lincoln

I'm an American student so visiting the campuses ahead of time will prove to be difficult so I'm looking to TSR for opinions. I wanted the London experience but I didn't make it into King's or St. George's for Biomedical sciences (my top two choices) due to my American Associates Degree being rather (inaccurately IMO) poorly viewed in the UK.

I did get into Greenwich, UEA and Lincoln though. I realize that UEA is ranked MUCH higher than the other two schools which appeals to me a lot, but I'm not sure how the Norwich area is. I have been to King's Lynn, which is close by -- and if Norwich is anything like it, could not live there (No offense to anyone who lives in King's Lynn!).

I always hear nice things about Lincoln, but their entry requirements are rather low (even compared to Greenwich), which worries me.

Greenwich appeals to me as they're willing to give me direct admission into year two (so I'd only have two years of school left, like in the US versus starting over at year three). I haven't heard nice things about Medway though. It's tempting as it's relatively close to London though. I could perhaps find a place to rent in the middle of London and Medway (Greenwich even?).

I just don't know what any of these areas or schools are really like. Any sort of input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Reply 1
If you want the London experience and you would be going to university in Medway, I would recommend living in Medway and visiting London. The other way around would be prohibitively expensive.

Lincoln is a really lovely old city - castle, cathedral, lots of cobblestones - but not a very good university. If that doesn't matter so much to you, and you want an old England kind of environment, Lincoln is a fine choice. However, it sounds like Greenwich might have the best combination of an okay academic reputation, proximity to London and financial impact.
Reply 2
Original post by ebee
If you want the London experience and you would be going to university in Medway, I would recommend living in Medway and visiting London. The other way around would be prohibitively expensive.

Lincoln is a really lovely old city - castle, cathedral, lots of cobblestones - but not a very good university. If that doesn't matter so much to you, and you want an old England kind of environment, Lincoln is a fine choice. However, it sounds like Greenwich might have the best combination of an okay academic reputation, proximity to London and financial impact.

Thanks! I appreciate your response. I realize living in London would be quite a bit more expensive, not only due to housing but also transportation costs. I'm used to commuting up to an hour for work by car at the moment, so that wouldn't be too much of a change for me.

Do you know how Medway area is? I haven't read too many favorable things...
Reply 3
My undergraduate degree is from a university in Canterbury, so I visited the town reasonably often - also, a friend was stationed there for a while. It's not the nicest *town* in the world, but the countryside and coast nearby are quite good. It has really good transport links to other, better places :smile: if you wanted to sightsee, you are within quick travelling distance of London, Canterbury and Eurostar stations, meaning you could get to Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam etc quite easily.
Reply 4
Norwich is a lovely city in my opinion. Vibrant enough (plenty of clubs and pubs), friendly people, warm weather :smile:. UEA is also a very good university with the best reviews on whatuni.com - I also liked it when I visited there.

I have firmed UEA for biomedicine for these reasons :smile:
Reply 5
I live in Lincoln, and its a nice place! Got plenty of shops, fairly good nightlife for the size of city, and is generally a nice area. The uni however is not the best, and if its between UEA and Lincoln, you would be foolish to not choose UEA espically for life sciences. I also have a biomedicine offer from UEA, and its facilities are top notch, and its right next to a research center aswell! The only reason why i'm not firming UEA is because the course is not accredited, so i would struggle to get a job in the NHS after graduating. I've heard that Norwich is an awesome city for students aswell, so if i was in your position, i would choose UEA 100%. Also, your much more likely to get employment with a Biomedicine degree from UEA opposed to Lincoln. Can't say much about greenwich, sorry :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ebee
My undergraduate degree is from a university in Canterbury, so I visited the town reasonably often - also, a friend was stationed there for a while. It's not the nicest *town* in the world, but the countryside and coast nearby are quite good. It has really good transport links to other, better places :smile: if you wanted to sightsee, you are within quick travelling distance of London, Canterbury and Eurostar stations, meaning you could get to Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam etc quite easily.

Thanks again for your reply and everyone else's. I'm looking now between Greenwich and UEA. UEA is a much better school and everyone has nice things to say about it... Greenwich looks like I'd be able to work out with the whole London experience I'm looking for - and only a 2 year course versus 3 years. Argh! I'm going to keep researching but if anyone else has input who has gone to either of these schools (especially the Medway campus), it'd be appreciated! Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending