The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jennie.stollar
I thought my motivation would increase when I got BCU but its not, although its made me kinda just wanna get it over and done with but everytime i sit and try and do college assignments my mind gets distracted :P and where willl your insurance be? my insurance is DMU :smile: not too sure if have to do anything for there or if just leave them lol :smile: and nope not heard anything yet :frown: yeah applied for the student finance loan although i dont think its done without the bursary information which we dont get aparently till june or sometime so dont think much else I can do with that until then :smile: Yeah accommodation is what i am trying to think of now, its a toss up between IQ which is nearer and cheaper, or Opal1 which is further away and more exppensive. Not many people I dont think know of IQ because its not on bcu website because its private. I definately prefer the location of IQ though. type them both in google to find them :smile: x

My mind does the same. I always have to do essays last minute at the moment because I have no motivation. I don't know about my insurance because I was thinking MMU but then they are offering BBB which is higher than the BBC that BCU are offering so should I still put MMU as second eeven though it won't matter anyway? I think they might take their time with sending everything though because it seems they're quite busy still with interviewing more people but I hope they don't take too long with sending everything through the post/email! I'll definitely be googling IQ and Opal 1 and comparing later as well so I'll probably talk to you about that too :smile: x
Reply 4041
Hi .... Is there anyone out there who has received an offer from QMU ? If its not being too nosey, would you share what grades they have asked for ?
Just that I received an offer today which is ridiculously low (CC and just a pass in a third subject , when I am predicted AAAB). I was quite keen on QMU as I love Edinburgh, but this has really put me off, as it makes me think that this course is inferior to others.
Any feedback much appreciated.
Original post by jinnytee
Hi .... Is there anyone out there who has received an offer from QMU ? If its not being too nosey, would you share what grades they have asked for ?
Just that I received an offer today which is ridiculously low (CC and just a pass in a third subject , when I am predicted AAAB). I was quite keen on QMU as I love Edinburgh, but this has really put me off, as it makes me think that this course is inferior to others.
Any feedback much appreciated.

How odd - my friend has an offer from there for AAB. Maybe the low offer is the closest thing they can give you to an unconditional? :/
Reply 4043
Original post by Spence_LJS
How odd - my friend has an offer from there for AAB. Maybe the low offer is the closest thing they can give you to an unconditional? :/

Thanks for the info Spence. Its good to know that they do have higher standards .... it freaked me out to think that was all they required academically.

It is very odd isnt it. Wondering if they made a mistake, although it is stated on the UCAS track letter, and also QMU emailed me my offer letter which says exactly the same. Maybe they are just really keen to have me as they may not get many international students, and unis do like a bit of diversity.
Reply 4044
Where are you from Jinny? Maybe the requirement for International Students is lower or something?
Reply 4045
Original post by dapto1
Where are you from Jinny? Maybe the requirement for International Students is lower or something?

Jamaica. We sit Caribbean Advanced, which replaced the Cambridge A level about five years ago, but is essentially the same, but made a bit harder in view of the fact that it was a new qualification and needed to earn, or retain, international respect. So, I would have thought that QMU may have made the offer slightly lower on account of this ...... but not THIS low ! The other offers I have received from other unis have all been on par with UK grades- AAB and ABB.

If qmu did this to make me firm them, its backfired somewhat, as I just feel its devalued the offer. I feel like they are "giving" me the place for some reason other than my own worth. Good insurance though, I would have to really mess up big time to not get those grades !!!
Reply 4046
Dapto - I forgot to ask .... Did you hear back from the eligibility team re fees ? Rooting for you.
i need help, ive got 5 rejections for speech and language
are there any other ways i can get into doing it?
Original post by geek chica
i need help, ive got 5 rejections for speech and language
are there any other ways i can get into doing it?

My back up plan is to do either English BA or English & Linguistics BA and then either transfer onto it when im finally successful or finish the English degree and then do SLT Postgrad (only problem is it will take much longer that way). It seems like such a tough course to get a place on. I was rejected from all my SLTchoices last year and was heartbroken. I know how you feel and it probably wont help you right now but remember you CAN do this and everything happens for a reason :smile: x
Original post by pink_flamingo
My back up plan is to do either English BA or English & Linguistics BA and then either transfer onto it when im finally successful or finish the English degree and then do SLT Postgrad (only problem is it will take much longer that way). It seems like such a tough course to get a place on. I was rejected from all my SLTchoices last year and was heartbroken. I know how you feel and it probably wont help you right now but remember you CAN do this and everything happens for a reason :smile: x

i was just looking on ucas so i can choose a course for ucas extra, i think im going to apply for a foundation course at portsmouth, they have low grade requirements and then i guess do a BSc after that
Reply 4050
Dapto - I forgot to ask .... Did you hear back from the eligibility team re fees ? Rooting for you.

Nope not yet. I sent them another email with some more detailed information so hopefully soon. Appreciate the support :smile:

Regarding the grades, maybe it was just a mistake? Could be as simple as that maybe.

Thanks for the info Spence. Its good to know that they do have higher standards .... it freaked me out to think that was all they required academically.

It is very odd isnt it. Wondering if they made a mistake, although it is stated on the UCAS track letter, and also QMU emailed me my offer letter which says exactly the same. Maybe they are just really keen to have me as they may not get many international students, and unis do like a bit of diversity.

Diversity, yes, and maybe the extra tuition fee money :/ Have you thought about asking them to justify the offer? It'd be a shame to think you're having second thoughts about firming them because of this. Where else are you looking at?
I received a reply from MMU yesterday offering me a place so there must be atleast admissions staff available there. Also most staff are in where my sister goes to Uni so I assume most uni's are open and working so if you are still waiting on Monday (after Good Friday and Easter when they are likely to be closed) I would ring if I were you, even if it only shows some sort of interest... Good Luck xx
Reply 4053
Original post by Spence_LJS
Diversity, yes, and maybe the extra tuition fee money :/ Have you thought about asking them to justify the offer? It'd be a shame to think you're having second thoughts about firming them because of this. Where else are you looking at?

I am holding offers from Sheffield, Reading, DMU. and of course QMU. Still undecided which to firm.
However,my aunt spoke to a friend of hers who is an admissions tutor for Psychology ( Cardiff ) and she reassured me that the very low offer simply means that they really want me ! Apparently they will sometimes even make unconditional offers to students who have yet to complete final exams!!
Hmmmm ....... maybe they do want the extra money like you say, but I really hope my aunt is right, and it isnt just down to money, because I work very hard and hate to think that anyone may think I am given places because I am an overseas student, as opposed to derseving it on my own merit :frown:
I am holding offers from Sheffield, Reading, DMU. and of course QMU. Still undecided which to firm.
However,my aunt spoke to a friend of hers who is an admissions tutor for Psychology ( Cardiff ) and she reassured me that the very low offer simply means that they really want me ! Apparently they will sometimes even make unconditional offers to students who have yet to complete final exams!!
Hmmmm ....... maybe they do want the extra money like you say, but I really hope my aunt is right, and it isnt just down to money, because I work very hard and hate to think that anyone may think I am given places because I am an overseas student, as opposed to derseving it on my own merit :frown:

Yeah its more like what the lady at Cardiff said - they must just really want you! You must've turned in a very impressive application.
Reply 4055
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to The Student Room. I've recently been accepted on the 2012 entry for S.L.T and I'm so excited! I was wondering if anyone knew Birmingham's reading list?

Rebecca
Original post by laureneb10
If i don't get the grades for MMU and end up at BCU, i really wanna stay it IQ instead of the city south accommodation! Looks really nice! Hopefully i will get the grades for MMU tho!

I'm sure you will get the grades :smile: what do you need to get for MMU and what you need to get for BCU? yeah I think I am quite settled on IQ an its cheaper :smile: Opal1 is nice too but longer and means less time in bed in the mornings :P hehe xx

Original post by pink_flamingo
Im SO worried now. Just spoken to DMU and they said the reason they are taking so long is because there is a problem with my application. Apparently the Access to HE I completed (especially in order to do SLT) is not good enough to meet entry requirements as they dont agree with them being used for GCSE equivalents (which was the whole reason I did it in the first place). Apparently they are looking into it and it could take a while. I just dont get it, that was the whole purpose of me doing the access course to gain my GCSE equivalents and it was a proper Access to HE course and not a mickey mouse one. Now im so worried and angry and wont find anything out till after easter. Its states on their entry requirements that its acceptable yet now they are saying it may not count. On top of this ive done An Intro to Health and Social Care with Open Uni which also counts as an Access Course on its own. Im just on such a downer cause they may reject me now. What a HUGE waste of time (2yrs) and money (£800) to do the Access course if it doesnt even count! :frown:

sorry to butt in here but i know someone who is Access to HE and he had an offer from DMU. Good luck with it all. Its pretty unfair if they don't consider you especially as it says on the websites. chin up :smile: x

Original post by 123emily
My mind does the same. I always have to do essays last minute at the moment because I have no motivation. I don't know about my insurance because I was thinking MMU but then they are offering BBB which is higher than the BBC that BCU are offering so should I still put MMU as second eeven though it won't matter anyway? I think they might take their time with sending everything though because it seems they're quite busy still with interviewing more people but I hope they don't take too long with sending everything through the post/email! I'll definitely be googling IQ and Opal 1 and comparing later as well so I'll probably talk to you about that too :smile: x

well my insurance is the same grades.. you don't have to put an insurance if you don't want to. I just put DMU as my insurance just incase BCU decide they didn't like me haha even though i have an offer hehehe :P silly thinking I know ! :P Yeah I think they are pretty busy, they never replied to my email ages ago, and sent them another email the other day about finance and some questions I had and they still haven't replied which is kind of annoying because it will be good to know. and yeah I think I am pretty settled on IQ, I think I may ring them up next week and ask for a viewing and just drive down and have a look... at the end of the day I want to make the right decision. Will hopefully have a look at both IQ and opal :smile: x

Original post by rao433
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to The Student Room. I've recently been accepted on the 2012 entry for S.L.T and I'm so excited! I was wondering if anyone knew Birmingham's reading list?

Rebecca

Have you firmed Birmingham then? :biggrin: x
Original post by jennie.stollar
well my insurance is the same grades.. you don't have to put an insurance if you don't want to. I just put DMU as my insurance just incase BCU decide they didn't like me haha even though i have an offer hehehe :P silly thinking I know ! :P Yeah I think they are pretty busy, they never replied to my email ages ago, and sent them another email the other day about finance and some questions I had and they still haven't replied which is kind of annoying because it will be good to know. and yeah I think I am pretty settled on IQ, I think I may ring them up next week and ask for a viewing and just drive down and have a look... at the end of the day I want to make the right decision. Will hopefully have a look at both IQ and opal :smile: x

Okay, I'll put MMU as my insurance now then :smile: Wow, that is quite annoying that they wont reply to you :/ Hm, maybe you could ring them up? Ooh yeah that's a good idea I think I might go and look round IQ too to see what it's actually like:smile: x
Reply 4058
Have you firmed Birmingham then? x

Hey, Yes firmed with BCU straight away! I'm a "mature" student and have one degree so I got an unconditional offer...although me and "mature" in the same sentence makes me laugh! I'm only 26! :smile: I do remember being offered a conditional offer when I did my BA and it was nerve wracking so I understand how people are feeling!

I'm sure BCU will offer you a place! I was checking my UCAS every thirty minutes for two weeks!

What did you think of the written interview at BCU? X
Reply 4059
I am waiting too, after sending in my application mid October I am now getting a bit impatient. I emailed them friday to see when they may be sending out replies, so hoping to at least get feedback early this week. How about you ?

I got an offer from them months ago and was delighted but I think my heart is still set on Newcastle and since they require the same grade boundaries, there is no point putting Queen Margaret second...but good luck!! You'll here from them soon i'm sure, its such a great uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest