The Student Room Group

Which group is less appreciated: Asian Men or Black women?

This poll is closed

Less appreciated group?

Asian Men 48%
Black Women 44%
Other (specify)8%
Total votes: 199
Aesthetically, which group is less appreciated (at least by mainstream media)?

Now, I'm not implying they're ugly or anything like that; beauty occurs in every race but I've heard some vicious remarks about these two groups in society more than other groups.

Vote on the poll & comment if you wanna.

WTF are you negging me for?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Definitely black women. Asian men are highly valued, particularly in mathematical and engineering circles.
Reply 2
By Asian do you mean Oriental or South Asian?

If you mean Oriental guys, then I would say its us. :sadnod:
:cry2:

Too contreversial a subject. Choose: Get negged by the Asian men on this site or negged by the black girls...

I choose neither. Is that an option? :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Depends if the person doing the appreciating is a white woman or (any) man. Seeing as there's more men than white women in the country I would go with black women. The effects are so pronounced infact that 99% of black women follow white styles in order to be seen as beautiful in the media. When I say styles I don't mean clothing but stuff like the fake hair weaves black women are famous for and the skin bleaching and dying of hair blonde. I have been arguing till I'm blue in the face that the fact that most black women straighten their hair and dye it lighter colours is an obvious symptom of them being unhappy with their natural self. Think about it. How many white women do you see curling their hair as tightly as black hair/wearing afro wigs and dyeing their hair jet black too? White women tan themselves to make it look like they been on holiday to somewhere nice and sunny. What's the motivation for black women bleaching their skin? Even black men don't get off so lightly. We are told any lenght of our hair above a few millimeters is "bad and "messy" and as a result cut it off. Most black men you see in this country have little to no hair, this is why. Growing up if I had hair on my head I was laughed at my peers (called jungle boy, black pepper head etc...by OTHER black people!) and forced to cut it to millimeter length by parents. A white man can have hair on his head and noone will say anything unless it's really long and they look like a hippy/woman/ghost of Charles I. I even remember my grandmother scolding me for pushing my lips out as I would have "big rubber lips". What is wrong with big lips? So to summarize my rant, both black women AND men aren't proud of their natural hair and either straighten it, put a wig over it or just chop it all off.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
:cry2:

Too contreversial a subject. To get negged by the Asian men on this site or the black girls...

I chose none.

:frown:

Go on, speak up and vote.
I'm assuming you mean dark skinned black women?

Both, I guess. I've never heard vicious remarks about either to be honest (maybe get some nicer friends?), but I think both are under represented/poorly represented in the media.
Reply 7
Original post by + polarity -
Definitely black women. Asian men are highly valued, particularly in mathematical and engineering circles.

"Aesthetically"
If you mean east asian/oriental then yep asian.
If you mean indian/pakistani etc then black girls (even though they have amazing bodies!!)
Reply 9
Black women.. in my opinion. Unfortunate though.
Reply 10
Original post by SleepySheep
I'm assuming you mean dark skinned black women?

Both, I guess. I've never heard vicious remarks about either to be honest (maybe get some nicer friends?), but I think both are under represented/poorly represented in the media.

Lol, no, I don't have racist friends, I've just heard a lot of stuff from all sorts of places, internet, media etc.

There are quite prominent stereotypes about both groups...
Reply 11
I think I know who's more appreciated between:

and

:colone:

EDIT: Since everyone is pissed off that I've used Rihanna as an unfair comparrison, I only posted to show how stupid this thread is when trying to compare two different groups (although in this example I still prefer Rihanna :colone: :colone: :colone:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Black (as in skintone) women definitely.
Reply 13
Original post by Kiss

and

Rihanna's not the kind of "black" I was referring to....................................... But your post kinda demonstrates what I'm getting at, i.e. stereotypes.
Original post by Kiss

and

the OP meant black skintone, not ethnicity.
tough one, both are virtually non-existent in mainstream media.
Original post by Newbie123
Lol, no, I don't have racist friends, I've just heard a lot of stuff from all sorts of places, internet, media etc.

There are quite prominent stereotypes about both groups...

Oh, fair enough :tongue: I thought you meant you'd actually heard people saying those things. The media, internet, etc definitely perpetuates those stereotypes. I went with black women just because there's more pressure on women to be beautiful than men. Almost every single famous black woman is light skinned, so it must be hard being dark skinned when light skinned women are idealised so much.
it depends who you mean by asian men...
everyone looks different, some asian men are attractive, some aren't...
the pakistani skinheads who behaved badly, swore, started fights and beat each other up at the slightest provocation at my old school don't rate too highly on the lookometer
in terms of black women, some are beautiful, some are not. it all depends on the individual:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by rosiesaurus
it depends who you mean by asian men...
the many who become doctors and dentists, appreciated much.
the skinheads who behaved badly, swore, started fights and beat each other up at the slightest provocation, not so good.
in terms of black women in the UK, i think they are appreciated too:smile:

"Aesthetically" - i.e. looks-wise

How many global sex symbols are Asian? How about sub-Saharan African?
Original post by Newbie123
"Aesthetically" - i.e. looks-wise

realised that as soon as i clicked post...oops:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest