Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where do you get your motivation?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As it says on the tin - I need some inspiration please!

Never used to have to try to work out as up until a year or two ago I was a fairly competitive athlete and it's ever so easy to stay fit when you're doing it for and with a team! But I got injured a while back and despite physical therapy I am no longer fit at all. I still look deceptively thin as I'm a healthy eater and I walk and stuff but I'm flabby. I know (from experience) that all it would take is a serious week of training and I could be lean and mean again but I SERIOUSLY lack motivation to push myself - I've always had a trainer screaming in my ear to motivate me before! I feel like a knob when it's just me in the gym, and also I find myself tentative because I'm a little afraid that I'll injure myself in some way or other again. Help please..?
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a good work ethic.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apricotblue)
    but I SERIOUSLY lack motivation to push myself - I've always had a trainer screaming in my ear to motivate me before!
    Record yourself shouting encouraging cliché slogans over some motivational music and put it on your Ipod.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stand naked in front of a mirror and take a really long look at yourself.

Always makes me work twice as hard in the gym with that image in my mind.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the program im doing motivates me as everytime i'm lifting more than the last time
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Never used to have to try to work out as up until a year or two ago I was a fairly competitive athlete and it's ever so easy to stay fit when you're doing it for and with a team! But I got injured a while back and despite physical therapy I am no longer fit at all. I still look deceptively thin as I'm a healthy eater and I walk and stuff but I'm flabby. I know (from experience) that all it would take is a serious week of training and I could be lean and mean again but I SERIOUSLY lack motivation to push myself - I've always had a trainer screaming in my ear to motivate me before! I feel like a knob when it's just me in the gym, and also I find myself tentative because I'm a little afraid that I'll injure myself in some way or other again. Help please..?
    personally I think that one should only attempt to motivate oneself only very gently, otherwise just accept that you don't want to do it. I mean, there are a million different things to do - different activities or lifestyles and most of us can't be bothered to do most of them, most of the time. Why try to change that? If you're basically happy as you are, and clearly have no real reason to get back into top shape (what will you do with it?) then just take it easy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    I have a good work ethic.
    Yes of course, but what I meant was what's behind the work ethic? As in, you're working towards what? And why? I thought I had a good work ethic too but it turns out that I was only working out because I didn't want to let down my teammates and not because of any benefit to myself, clearly. Was quite a shock ha. You have good work ethic when working out because... you want to look good on the beach? You enjoy pain ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    personally I think that one should only attempt to motivate oneself only very gently, otherwise just accept that you don't want to do it. I mean, there are a million different things to do - different activities or lifestyles and most of us can't be bothered to do most of them, most of the time. Why try to change that? If you're basically happy as you are, and clearly have no real reason to get back into top shape (what will you do with it?) then just take it easy.
    Oh that's a good question... what WOULD I do with it?! Carrying on as I am sounds quite nice actually, would require quite a bit of self-acceptance and it's a bit bizarre that it didn't occur to me. This has turned quite philosophical. Thanks!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://youtu.be/obdd31Q9PqA
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    My motivation is that I love food too much not to exercise!
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Stand naked in front of a mirror and take a really long look at yourself.
    this just gives me a boner
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    this just gives me a boner
    Yeah I think if I looked like you it would do that to me too.

As it is, I slap my belly and watch it jiggle instead. :sad:
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Yeah I think if I looked like you it would do that to me too.

As it is, I slap my belly and watch it jiggle instead. :sad:
    keep working at it my friend, theres nothing to stop you getting there too
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    The vending machine.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    The remaining fat on my body reminds me of my childhood - I was the chubby kid who no one wanted to be friends with...i think no one wanted me lol
    I was constantly called fat by friends and cousins until i started secondary school and from then until this time last year my dads sister would call me fat. I've gone from a size 16 to a 10 and finally, everyone has shut up. I've still got some fat I wanna lose because it reminds me of the horrible comments and treatment I recieved in the past - that's my motivation.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

Like most people who work out, I get my motivation from seeing results, and that motivates me to keep going and see even better results.

I also get my motivation from the fact 99% of people fail with fitness (stopping and starting, giving up after a few months, never sticking to New Years Resolutions), so I feel special not being in that majority
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looking in The mirror and seeing what I can improve
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    1) Set a goal/goals (e.g. I want a 70kg squat by September/I want to be able to run 5km in 25min by July/whatever)
    2) Work out how you are going to achieve that goal (write or find a programme/do couch to 5k)
    3) Start out on the programme.
    4) Achieve or surpass goals. Be happy.
    5) Set new goals. Repeat forever.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    At the beginning I was motivated by the fact that my weight had shaved about 20 years off my life expectancy, and a weight related condition I had developed was threatening to shave off even more.

So then I lost the weight recommended by the doctors, still obese but no longer dangerously so (in the short term, anyway) and then I realised that actually I liked losing weight. It made me feel fitter and better about myself, so why stop now.

Six and a bit stone (at least, I didn't weigh myself for a year at the beginning of my weight loss, I might have actually been over 20 stone at one point), now at 11st 12, I get tremendous satisfaction from the knowledge that I have extended my own life by almost 25% just by getting off my backside.

Knowing my luck I'll get hit by a bus at the age of 25, but never mind.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 9, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.