The Student Room Group

Which group is less appreciated: Asian Men or Black women?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by + polarity -
Wasn't there when I posted

also, see sig

It definitely was there.

I only edited my post to embolden the part after you missed it, so that others wouldn't do the same.
Original post by effofex
Might this just be because there aren't that many of them?

Could be :yes:

I see about 50 dark skinned black girls for every 1 light skinned girl in real life though, whereas in the media it seems to be the other way around.
With East Asian guys (well, British ones :tongue:) there's pretty much just Gok Wan..
Reply 42
Original post by SleepySheep
Oriental guys are hot, stop whining :tongue:

Not to white girls. :frown:
Reply 43
Original post by Mr Smurf

Man up & chin up.
I don't think you could find out which group is less appreciated by media or society considering this matter is too vaque. That being said, I can't give you my personal opinion because if I dare rate somebody, which I don't apart from male actors when I am watching films lol, I will not focus on the colour of their skin That's insignificant to me.

I am white. Girls like confidence, stop being so self-pitying :smile:
I'm assuming you mean dark skinned black women?

Both, I guess. I've never heard vicious remarks about either to be honest (maybe get some nicer friends?), but I think both are under represented/poorly represented in the media.

Hi, I'm a doctor, I earn £70k, marry me?

Are you any clever? Since you're stereotyping, clever guys are always hot. :biggrin:
Original post by Politricks
Hi, I'm a doctor, I earn £70k, marry me?

Enough of your nonsense :nothing:
Enough of your nonsense :nothing:

Please step into the marriage sack, ma'am.

Original post by effofex

Also, Asia is a more vast continent than Africa with all sorts of different facial features and skin tones (maybe slightly more so than Africa - definitely more so than Europe). But Africa is more genetically diverse.

I agree. This is such a ridiculous thread.
Original post by Politricks
Please step into the marriage sack, ma'am.

Okay :emo:
Original post by sexbo
You're everything that is wrong with this planet. Assuming that the Asian guy really is as smart as he looks he is probably 1000000000000000000 times more useful than Rihannas pretty ass will ever be, you know by doing actual useful stuff like trying to cure cancer, fixing the economy, building better computers and software etc.

Shut up. Please.
Reply 53
Original post by effofex
I just realized you mentioned 'aesthetically' - again, I haven't noticed any outright hostility by Dutch men/Dutch women towards me. None have commented on my appearance with the exception of the standard 'mooie haar' which some of the women will say to me.

Also, Asia is a more vast continent than Africa with all sorts of different facial features and skin tones (maybe slightly more so than Africa - definitely more so than Europe). But Africa is more genetically diverse.

? This thread isn't about explicit racial abuse. It's about which group in WESTERN society, is more neglected when it comes to aesthetics.

Yes, of course Asia is larger than Africa, but people of African descent in the WEST generally have much greater diversity in their appearance - due to a bunch of historical factors etc.

It's not about which continent is bigger or even continent is more diverse, I'm strictly talking about Western perception of Westernised people of African & (East) Asian descent.
Reply 54
Try being an Oriental guy growing up in the UK and being into white girls.

Since you do not intend to ask one out, have you considered libido suppression medication?

If you were to be prescribed some, then you would no longer be attracted to these western females, and your problem would be solved.
Reply 55
This is why I want to be known in mainstream media. Call me deluded but I think it's my calling.

The standard of beauty for females from the west are redundant.

I'd like to be the spokesperson for dark-skinned black woman. There are many beautiful dark-skinned women who do not conform to the stereotypes.

Just need to become a well-known British actress first....:erm:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
I am white. Girls like confidence, stop being so self-pitying :smile:

Why do you never come across any Oriental guy-white girl couples then?
Reply 57
Original post by Newbie123
Aesthetically, which group is less appreciated (at least by mainstream media)?

Now, I'm not implying they're ugly or anything like that; beauty occurs in every race but I've heard some vicious remarks about these two groups in society more than other groups.

Vote on the poll & comment if you wanna.

WTF are you negging me for?

What do you mean when you say 'less appreciated'? In terms of what?
You decided that this guy might be discovering a way to cure cancer because he's Asian and has glasses.

Well, unless it's a picture of them holding up a degree in nuclear physics or something.
First sentence: precious. :biggrin: And also, we would have to test both that guy and Rhianna to see who has a higher IQ. Despite the fact that is not relevant to the OP question. :biggrin: But I disagree with the second sentence. They might be holding someone else's degree. :tongue:

Oriental guys are hot, stop whining :tongue:

Agree. One of these days I saw an asian bloke that was way hotter than Hugh Jackman. One does not simply bump into guys that are hotter than Hugh Juckam in the street! LMAO. He was really something. :love:

Its easy to say just keep trying, but its rejection after rejection. I never see any other Oriental guys with white girlfriend either.

Why did I get attention from Oriental girls if that is the main problem?

You care too much about "colours". We said it, asian guys are as hot as any other. :redface:
Original post by sexbo
Depends if the person doing the appreciating is a white woman or (any) man. Seeing as there's more men than white women in the country I would go with black women. The effects are so pronounced infact that 99% of black women follow white styles in order to be seen as beautiful in the media. When I say styles I don't mean clothing but stuff like the fake hair weaves black women are famous for and the skin bleaching and dying of hair blonde. I have been arguing till I'm blue in the face that the fact that most black women straighten their hair and dye it lighter colours is an obvious symptom of them being unhappy with their natural self. Think about it. How many white women do you see curling their hair as tightly as black hair/wearing afro wigs and dyeing their hair jet black too? White women tan themselves to make it look like they been on holiday to somewhere nice and sunny. What's the motivation for black women bleaching their skin? Even black men don't get off so lightly. We are told any lenght of our hair above a few millimeters is "bad and "messy" and as a result cut it off. Most black men you see in this country have little to no hair, this is why. Growing up if I had hair on my head I was laughed at my peers (called jungle boy, black pepper head etc...by OTHER black people!) and forced to cut it to millimeter length by parents. A white man can have hair on his head and noone will say anything unless it's really long and they look like a hippy/woman/ghost of Charles I. I even remember my grandmother scolding me for pushing my lips out as I would have "big rubber lips". What is wrong with big lips? So to summarize my rant, both black women AND men aren't proud of their natural hair and either straighten it, put a wig over it or just chop it all off.

I'm not saying that the points raised in your post aren't true, because they are some of the time, but I'd just like to point out that there are many other reasons why black women do those changes to their hair. Weaves and wigs can be great as protective styles for protecting the hair as it grows and stopping it breaking so much and getting damaged (after all, our hair is quite relatively weak compared to the hair of other races). Natural afro hair can be difficult and/or time consuming to look after, so straightening (whether that's with relaxers or heat tools) can often just make life easier for oneself for maintenance reasons. And tbh with the blonde hair thing, I don't really see why that's necessarily a "white" thing. Plenty of white people have naturally dark brown/black hair that's the same colour as black people's hair, so *shrugs*. Then again, it's probably best that black people stayed away from having full blonde hair anyway cos 99% of the time it just doesn't look good :lol:

If you were ever interested in venturing on to the Long Hair Care Forum, you'd probably be able to see what I mean.

That said, I agree it is quite sad the negative attitudes that many black people have towards their own natural hair. I'm a black woman with natural hair, and any ignorant comments I've had about it are always from black people, even my own family! Heck, the last time they ever complimented my hair was when I straightened it (with flat irons) the other month :rolleyes:. It's also sad that hardly any black woman in the media wears her hair natural, and whilst I have nothing against hair extensions and straightening (I do them sometimes myself in fact), it's a bit sad when wearing natural hair is such a minority. There are plenty of lovely styles one can do with it, it doesn't always have to be a bushy afro (not that there's anything much wrong with that either)! Look at how awesome Janelle Monáe looks!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply