The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Failing a Dissertation

I'm currently in my last year at Aberystwyth Uni and my dissertation is due in 20 days. I know that i'm having far too much trouble with it to achieve a decent %.
I've been wondering what happens if I fail my diss. I know i'm allowed to fail 60 credits but I don't think that includes the diss.

If I do fail, can I re-submit?

Please help, i don't really want to enquire at the university.
Original post by shkbop9190
I'm currently in my last year at Aberystwyth Uni and my dissertation is due in 20 days. I know that i'm having far too much trouble with it to achieve a decent %.
I've been wondering what happens if I fail my diss. I know i'm allowed to fail 60 credits but I don't think that includes the diss.

If I do fail, can I re-submit?

Please help, i don't really want to enquire at the university.

Lol i'm in the exact same position as you!

got 19 days left and done only 2500 words :frown:

I really think i'm going to fail it too, everyone i know on my course is waayy ahead of me.

I don't know what to do either, sorry for being no help at all.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Ask the uni.
I think it really depends on your course and university policy. There is no harm in asking the uni, but phrase it in a way that doesn't scream "I'm going to fail", just as a general inquiry as to the procedure if someone were to get a fail mark on their dissertation.
I can't speak for dissertations in general, but I know that for psychology you have to pass your dissertation as well as achieving a 2:2 for BPS accreditation. This probably doesn't help you much (unless you do psychology) but we still get our degree, just not the BPS accreditation.
I would look at the uni's website or something, I'm sure it says it there at my uni. Otherwise, just ask someone.
I don't think anyone will have been in a worse situation than me when it comes to dissertations. I actually had to hand mine in the day after the deadline. Trust me when I say that 20 days is enough to do well in your dissertation, mine was done in less than half of that. Gives me mini heart attacks even thinking about what I went through now and wondering what grade I'll end up with.

Be a bit more optimistic, don't think you've failed. If your struggling I'd really advise you to see your dissertation supervisor/tutor, they really do help.
Reply 6
Thanks for your help :smile:

I would ask my tutor but he's completley useless, it's only due to him that i've had four failed proposals now. He basically told me to go away with a tonne of data he's given me and now I have to pull statistics out of a hat. I'll ask the university, since my coursemates are also unsure. I've completed most of my literature review and i've written 5,000 words in 3 days before so i'm sure I can hand in something. It was more of a what if question as i've done well in my other modules so far, I just don't want my whole degree ruined by this. Thanks anyway to all of you :smile:
Reply 7
Are you doing an honours degree? I think if you fail your dissertation it usually just makes it into an ordinary degree.

I'd check with your uni though.
Reply 8
Original post by Ice_Queen
Are you doing an honours degree? I think if you fail your dissertation it usually just makes it into an ordinary degree.

I'd check with your uni though.

Yeah i'm doing a BSc single honours. I've checked the module information on the uni site and it states as supplementary assessment that re-submission of dissertation is 100%. I'll email the co-ordinator nearer the hand-in date to see if thats an option if needs be.
Reply 9
I imagine you would be able to retake though, my friend did. She got an ordinary degree (not sure if she passed or failed the retake).
Reply 10
Just ask your dept. staff, whether that's the reception or whoever else? Why be scared to ask them? That's what they're there for. 0_0.
Hi guys, seeing you discuss dissertation trouble, I was wondering what is your general opinion on dissertation experience? I'm just about to make the decision on whether or not to take one next year instead of a module and I really don't have any clue if a dissertation is going to be useful for masters/phd/job opportunities. So I'd greatly appreciate your insight.
Reply 12
Original post by Irrepressible
Hi guys, seeing you discuss dissertation trouble, I was wondering what is your general opinion on dissertation experience? I'm just about to make the decision on whether or not to take one next year instead of a module and I really don't have any clue if a dissertation is going to be useful for masters/phd/job opportunities. So I'd greatly appreciate your insight.

WELL..I this time last year it was dissertation proposal time and I was dreading and I mean DREADING starting and completing the thing for real....due in part to my tutor who wasn't the most approachable or helpful. :eek:
HOWEVER..its been a really enjoyable experience. My original tutor left the department, and so I requested in the summer holidays, my tutor of choice and I got her! :wink:
The key is to start as soon as possible..(summer holidays). There were people on my course on their analysis chapter a week before submission. SMH. Make sure you see your dissertation tutor every week and chase any queries you have whenever you need to as that's what they're there for. They are always there to help. Submitted last week and I did the dance of joy back to my car :colone:. My only annoyance of the whole experience is the cost associated with printing and binding 2 copies..cost me over £50 all in!
Original post by Alexis_axx
WELL..I this time last year it was dissertation proposal time and I was dreading and I mean DREADING starting and completing the thing for real....due in part to my tutor who wasn't the most approachable or helpful. :eek:
HOWEVER..its been a really enjoyable experience. My original tutor left the department, and so I requested in the summer holidays, my tutor of choice and I got her! :wink:
The key is to start as soon as possible..(summer holidays). There were people on my course on their analysis chapter a week before submission. SMH. Make sure you see your dissertation tutor every week and chase any queries you have whenever you need to as that's what they're there for. They are always there to help. Submitted last week and I did the dance of joy back to my car :colone:. My only annoyance of the whole experience is the cost associated with printing and binding 2 copies..cost me over £50 all in!

Hi Alexis_axx,

Thanks for your contribution to this thread. However, it is over 12 months old so the original poster will have (hopefully) graduated by now. If you wish to contribute in other Aber threads, your experience going through the system will be useful to new applicants. :smile:

The Optimistic Ram.
Reply 14
How long was your dissertation? Did you do the full thing in less that 20 days?
Reply 15
Hey peeps,

I was wondering if anyone knew whether a student who fails their dissertation (for the degree of MSc) is notified by e-mail in advance, before the dissertation results come out?
I am a wrecking ball, and I am on edge till the results come out. I am not confident of my thesis, and I feel my thesis is going to bring my Merit (for the coursework and exams) down.
Results for the dissertation should be out soon, since enrolment for graduation starts from the first week of October and ends in the last week. Should I expect my notice of failure when all the results come out together, or will they notify me before they post the results?

Thanks
Original post by loshki93
Hey peeps,

I was wondering if anyone knew whether a student who fails their dissertation (for the degree of MSc) is notified by e-mail in advance, before the dissertation results come out?
I am a wrecking ball, and I am on edge till the results come out. I am not confident of my thesis, and I feel my thesis is going to bring my Merit (for the coursework and exams) down.
Results for the dissertation should be out soon, since enrolment for graduation starts from the first week of October and ends in the last week. Should I expect my notice of failure when all the results come out together, or will they notify me before they post the results?

Thanks

Hi,

This thread is almost a year old.

You'd probably be better off making your own thread on this in the correct university forum (this is Aberystwyth so if you're there then it's just a case of going back to where you found the thread and clicking "Start New Thread" at the top.

Hope you can manage to get some help that way.

Thanks
minimarshmallow
Reply 17
Hi Guys, what you could do is go to your doctor and tell them your finding university very challenging and tell them you feel pressured and perhaps are suffering from some anxiety related behaviours. You may have to pay around £60, however they will write you a medical note. Take this to your institutes office and they should grant extra time with your work.
I understand what you are going thru. I felt this way about two years ago, when I did my dissertation. I cried and felt stressed and depressed over it. But, I survived with the support of my classmates. Please don't give up.
I feel like my Geology dissertation is going to go horribly, my work seems so much simpler than others, eg 7 rock units when other have 12, not enough structural data...I'm at the point of being embarrassed of it being a massive failure when I haven't even started the report writing. I don know what to do if it means I get an overall 2:2 degree because of it when I'm in line for a 2:1.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest