The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you do apply to Institute of Education, put it down as your first choice. I had it down as my third choice (after Kings and Goldsmiths) and by the time it got to them, in early February, they weren't considering further applications. Kings and I of E seem to be the speediest of the London colleges for filling up their places.

In fact, if I were to do it all again from scratch, I don't think I'd have applied to I of E: I'd probably have applied to one of the less competitive colleges, like Brunel or Roehampton.

Come to think of it, if I had the option to, I would apply anywhere but London for secondary English. You have about 1000 people applying for about 180 places. Not good odds.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 861
Hi i am starting an undergraduate degree in september and after that am pretty sure i want to be a teacher, i would quite like some experience in teaching, is it possible to help out in secondary schools whilst i do my degree ? or do schools not really like that. (btw i want to be an IT teacher) Thanks
Original post by _holly_
Hi i am starting an undergraduate degree in september and after that am pretty sure i want to be a teacher, i would quite like some experience in teaching, is it possible to help out in secondary schools whilst i do my degree ? or do schools not really like that. (btw i want to be an IT teacher) Thanks

Check what systems are in place at your university. Lancaster have a volunteering unit [now called LUSU Involve], which has strong links with a range of local schools. Every year, they run a school partnership programme; with their help, I was able to spend two years helping at a school as a 1 day a week TA. :smile:
So, I would check out what is on offer first. After that, you'll have to start approaching secondary schools yourself. Most will want a CRB and you might find it easier to 'get a foot in the door' at schools you have some connection with. :smile:
Reply 863
Original post by affinity89
Check what systems are in place at your university. Lancaster have a volunteering unit [now called LUSU Involve], which has strong links with a range of local schools. Every year, they run a school partnership programme; with their help, I was able to spend two years helping at a school as a 1 day a week TA. :smile:
So, I would check out what is on offer first. After that, you'll have to start approaching secondary schools yourself. Most will want a CRB and you might find it easier to 'get a foot in the door' at schools you have some connection with. :smile:

Thanks alot for the advice, i will look into it :biggrin:
Accepted to UEA today for secondary geography. My advice is to just keep preparing, make sure you know everything you've done, go back over your dissertation thoroughly as well as it came up in both my Cambridge and UEA interviews, seems to be an overlooked area for PGCE interview preparation so get on that. Best of luck to all
Reply 865
Original post by mattmilton
If you do apply to Institute of Education, put it down as your first choice. I had it down as my third choice (after Kings and Goldsmiths) and by the time it got to them, in early February, they weren't considering further applications. Kings and I of E seem to be the speediest of the London colleges for filling up their places.

In fact, if I were to do it all again from scratch, I don't think I'd have applied to I of E: I'd probably have applied to one of the less competitive colleges, like Brunel or Roehampton.

Come to think of it, if I had the option to, I would apply anywhere but London for secondary English. You have about 1000 people applying for about 180 places. Not good odds.

Well, the main reason I am applying to IoE is because they had like 140 places for my course last year (secondary English). Brunel only had 28 and Roehampton 26, so I would assume that those 2 would be most competitive?

I am also thinking of applying to Manchester Met, based purely on the amount of places available. I see posts here and on tes about people who have worked years in a school being rejected because there not being enough places/candidates with more experience. So I wanna max my chances as much as possible.

It would be interesting to see how many applicants there are per PGCE Englsih placement at each uni though.

I did look at Brunel and had my heart set on it for a while, but it is just a bit too far from where I am at the moment and I would have to move into London, really. Whereas for IoE I can just take the train to Kings Cross and IoE have school placements in Herts, so it would be ideal (or of course, staying at Herts).
Reply 866
Hello

I was just wondering how people went about getting experience prior to applying for their PGCE secondary course?

I am currently a second year student at King's College London and would like to apply for my PGCE in Septemer...do I have enough time to get sufficient work experience? How should I go about asking schools for it? I e-mailed some but they seemed to think that the summer term, because of exams, wasn't the ideal time to do work expwerience?

Any tips would be great!!

Many Thanks

Bex
Original post by ooga
Well, the main reason I am applying to IoE is because they had like 140 places for my course last year (secondary English). Brunel only had 28 and Roehampton 26, so I would assume that those 2 would be most competitive?

I am also thinking of applying to Manchester Met, based purely on the amount of places available. I see posts here and on tes about people who have worked years in a school being rejected because there not being enough places/candidates with more experience. So I wanna max my chances as much as possible.

It would be interesting to see how many applicants there are per PGCE Englsih placement at each uni though.

I did look at Brunel and had my heart set on it for a while, but it is just a bit too far from where I am at the moment and I would have to move into London, really. Whereas for IoE I can just take the train to Kings Cross and IoE have school placements in Herts, so it would be ideal (or of course, staying at Herts).

I of E has that many places for secondary English?!! I had no idea!! Feel very, very, very stupid now. If I'd known that, it would have been my first choice, without a doubt. That's more places than all the other London colleges combined. All the other London colleges have around 20/25 places. London Met said they had 700 applicants for 25 places last year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mattmilton
I of E has that many places for secondary English?!! I had no idea!! Feel very, very, very stupid now. If I'd known that, it would have been my first choice, without a doubt. That's more places than all the other London colleges combined. All the other London colleges have around 20/25 places. London Met said they had 700 applicants for 25 places last year.

Here's the link mattmilton- it says IOE have 114 places for 2012/13. The numbers have been decreasing year on year- for history IOE it was 54 in 2010, 50 last year and 48 for this year. London Met says 16 places. Damn you Mr Gove, he thinks student teachers on PGCEs just spend all their time in lectures!

http://jsavage.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Annex-2-mainstream-allocations-1213.pdf
(edited 12 years ago)
aaaaargh, don't tell me that now!

The way I see it, statistically, that means one interview at I of E early on in the application process before the bottleneck of rejectees builds up is worth the equivalent of about three other interviews in terms of applicants per place.

(That's assuming I of E aren't top of everyone's list, of course.)
Original post by BexCairns
Hello

I was just wondering how people went about getting experience prior to applying for their PGCE secondary course?

I am currently a second year student at King's College London and would like to apply for my PGCE in Septemer...do I have enough time to get sufficient work experience? How should I go about asking schools for it? I e-mailed some but they seemed to think that the summer term, because of exams, wasn't the ideal time to do work expwerience?

Many Thanks

Bex

Try contacting your old school first- they would be most likely to take you on. Then after that contact other schools saying you have had experience at whatever Key Stage levels you observed.
Also don't just keep it to classroom experience- they want to see dedication to children/ young adults/ the teaching profession generally.
Try and prioritise your experience mainly to the level you want to teach- primary or secondary. But do try to get experience at every level :smile:
Try and arrange some for the beginning of the next academic year- you can always mention in your statement any experience you have lined up!

Good luck!
Reply 871
Hello

Many Thanks

Bex

That's when I did mine, just meant I didn't see much of year 11+ but there's still KS3
Hello

Many Thanks

Bex

You could look at getting general work experience with children over the summer. I used to work in a summer school and I spoke about that on my application. It would also still be worth your while to arrange work experience in a school for September- at least you'll seem keen and you'll be able to talk about it in your interview!
I just got notification on GTTR - I got me a PGCE Primary place at University of Exeter. BAM!!

So incredibly pleased, I worked so hard for this.

If anyone wants to know about interviews with Exeter, or IoE (which was my first choice, but got rejected from) just quote me.

Feeling over the moon doesn't even cover it. :biggrin:
Original post by Writer_Kitty
I just got notification on GTTR - I got me a PGCE Primary place at University of Exeter. BAM!!

So incredibly pleased, I worked so hard for this.

If anyone wants to know about interviews with Exeter, or IoE (which was my first choice, but got rejected from) just quote me.

Feeling over the moon doesn't even cover it. :biggrin:

Hi, I've got an interview at IoE next week- I'm particularly interested in finding out about the maths test and the individual interview. I had a maths test at another institution and it was only simple sums and percentages (10 questions) yet some people seem to suggest other tests have included questions on conversions, graphs etc. (Also if you got an excel spreadsheet thing to find out which group you were in- how did you get it to work? I typed my name in the space and nothing changes)!
Thanks
Hi, I wrote a post a while ago to say I was applying for the PGCE post 16 lifelong learning pre-service.. well I have good news! I have been offered a place at The University of Huddersfield starting in September, and I'm over the moon! :smile:)
Original post by jonescrcarol
Hi, I wrote a post a while ago to say I was applying for the PGCE post 16 lifelong learning pre-service.. well I have good news! I have been offered a place at The University of Huddersfield starting in September, and I'm over the moon! :smile:)

Congratulations! That's great news!

I just found out that I've got a place on PGCE Secondary English at UEL! :smile:
Ive just found out I have a PGCE Secondary English interview at Oxford University..... eeeek! :s-smilie:
Reply 878
I received an email today for an interview on the 17th of April at University of East London for Primary PGCE. Any of you attending?

For those that have attended one, what does the English and Maths test consist of? And what educational issue were you asked about?
Original post by mr_icecream
Hi, I've got an interview at IoE next week- I'm particularly interested in finding out about the maths test and the individual interview. I had a maths test at another institution and it was only simple sums and percentages (10 questions) yet some people seem to suggest other tests have included questions on conversions, graphs etc. (Also if you got an excel spreadsheet thing to find out which group you were in- how did you get it to work? I typed my name in the space and nothing changes)!
Thanks

Hi the maths test isn't that bad, just mental arithmatic, fractions, percentages, that kind of thing.

The individual interview... you'll get asked about 6 questions read off a form. Make sure you know about EAL pupils and you can think of 'challenges' in teaching and how you can deal with them.

Latest

Trending

Trending