The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fire2burn
Yes I'm coming to London meet, but not Brummie land meet as I'm on the ward Wednesday and I can't really let them down after having said to them sure I'll come in and help out :tongue:

Well, that's fine, I cba to go to Birmingham.

If you don't bring them now I am going to be upset.

What are you doing on the ward?
Original post by avhhs
That sounds interesting. Would be a good idea to go alone, to see how I cope somewhere very far away without my parents :tongue:. But I do hope they listen.

Thank you so much :jumphug:. I'm here for you too, even if I'm not much help :tongue:

:hugs:

Yer it is interesting to go alone and see what its like, but obviously it can be quite nice having the support there! I suppose it depends where you want to look round really, thinking of anywhere other than nottingham?

and its ok hun :smile: you are helpful, as I keep saying its great just being able to talk to someone!

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so paranoid about some things :frown:

Reply 6722
Original post by Phoenix07
Yer it is interesting to go alone and see what its like, but obviously it can be quite nice having the support there! I suppose it depends where you want to look round really, thinking of anywhere other than nottingham?

and its ok hun :smile: you are helpful, as I keep saying its great just being able to talk to someone!

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so paranoid about some things :frown:

Haven't really thought of anywhere else yet.

:console: Like what?
Depression's back. :sigh: Suicidal, the whole shebang.

Original post by forgottensecret
You have me interested :tongue: is there a name for this?

edit: your sig really made me laugh, so thanks for that!

Probably, but I don't know what I'm afraid.

Cheers. I stole it from somebody who posted it in this thread - Noodlzzz I think.

Original post by Meaty_man
Hey all, thought i'd pitch in my share of feeling like crap :tongue:

God i had such a bad night's sleep, i think i had three seperate nightmares, and considering i don't sleep well anyway that's just awesome. Then to top it all off i had an episode of proctalgia fugax. Basically, imagine someone is shoving a hot poker up your ass for half an hour or more. It hurts so damn much it gets hard to breathe, and i had to thrash around against the wall to deal with the pain. Tends to happen randomly in the night once or twice each month.

Now i've got a full day of writing a dissertation for something i REALLY can't motivate myself to do, i feel so burnt out with university, can't wait to finish all of it. Thank god its at least sunny here. I've had so much trouble motivating myself to do anything the last month or so, whenever i try to sit down and work i just end up staring at a screen and go into a depressive spell for a while -.-

Welcome to the house of fun.

I've been having weird dreams/nightmares for about a month now which keep kind of haunting me throughout the day, so you've got my sympathies there. Never heard of the pain thing you've got though - doesn't sound at all pleasant. :console:

Original post by sunfowers01
When do things get better? What is the first thing to do to start getting better? Probably no one answer but I don't know how much longer I can wait

Apart from meds, the only thing which has been at all consistent in making me feel better (albeit sometimes only temporarily) is a change of scenery. I know you've got commitments and stuff, but even if you managed to get away to the country or another town for the weekend it might help a bit.

Original post by Angury
Thank you for your support! It really wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be; the lady was lovely and I found it really easy to be open and honest with her. I really want to get better, but what my parents have said about mental health keeps cropping up in the back of my mind. I know everything they've said is a load of rubbish, and I honestly can't wait to leave the house and become independent.
Thanks again for your lovely replies. :hugs:

Good to hear it went well, and thanks. :h: Be sure and keep us updated. :jumphug:

Original post by SciFiBoy
negative thoughts are overwhelming :frown:

Same. :hugs:

Original post by Sabertooth
Seeing the psychologist went pretty well. :smile: She was really nice and has given me details of all kinds of groups running in the area which she thinks will help me, stuff like self esteem, art therapy etc some of them sound pretty fun and hey it's something to do.

She seems to think a lot of my issues are caused by stress (and drug use :colondollar: ) rather than a personality disorder which is pretty cool, although does make me feel like everything is my fault. :frown:

I will buy you a kilo of yellow-less sweeties if you go to the art class and make a severed hand. :tongue:

It's not your fault dumbass - it's society's! :awesome:

Original post by Alofleicester
Dep Soc Island?

Can it have a funny farm - with pink polka-dotted chickens & sheep with their fleeces cut into awesome hair-styles or sculptures?
And cider - lots and lots of cider.

Yep, the land of hopes and dreams... :moon:

You will have to consult with fire2burn with regards to the chickens, as they are his particular province. Sabertooth is gonna have a goat or two to look after, if that'll do you. There will of course be keg upon keg of cider, some fine stuff imported, and some rotgut made by yours truly down in the Experiment Room. :colone:

Can I just ask how easy it is to get extensions at university due to things like anxiety and depression? Really not coping well at the moment and got loads of work including my dissertation in in the next week and a half! Never tried to get an extension before though so not sure how easy it'll be!

It's pretty simple - I only had to fill in a short form and later provide evidence (doctor's note) for my first extension I had this year, and then for another one I didn't even need the evidence. If for any reason you do find getting the extension difficult I'd suggest getting someone like your personal tutor or someone from the DSO to help you, so that it's one less thing for you to worry about. :smile:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to call the RSPCA if you continue to mistreat your pets! Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 you are required to have duty of care towards your zombies to provide for their basic needs, this includes exercise and environmental needs :cool: Remember the runners and other fast types of zombies may need longer to run around the garden than shambling/stumbling type zombies. Although you could just buy an exercise wheel? Hook up a generator, free electricity.

By all means contact the RSPCA. My zombies are always clamouring for more snacks, ravenous beasties that they are. Besides, I do provide exercise: every once in a while I open the trapdoor down to their basement and lower in a prime steak on a fishing line, and watch them clamber over each other struggling to reach it. The resulting videos I've shot are pretty entertaining, and can be purchased for immediate download for the princely sum of £4.99.
Original post by superwolf
It's pretty simple - I only had to fill in a short form and later provide evidence (doctor's note) for my first extension I had this year, and then for another one I didn't even need the evidence. If for any reason you do find getting the extension difficult I'd suggest getting someone like your personal tutor or someone from the DSO to help you, so that it's one less thing for you to worry about. :smile:

Ah ok, well thanks :smile: I will go in and talk to my personal tutor about it and see if he can help, hopefully it'll be ok! Thank you .... and hope you're ok :hugs:

Original post by avhhs
Haven't really thought of anywhere else yet.

:console: Like what?

Fair enough I found it really difficult to find somewhere to go spent ages picking so enjoy that fun one :smile:

and I imagine sharing a room with someone should be quite easy, but it just means that I have to spend the night listening to their breathing to try and make sure they are still alive and then panicking that they or someone else may come in and kill me, so all in all means I sleep very little! :hugs:

Same. :hugs:

:hugs: next Tuesday can't come soon enough! I can get out of the house and talk to people and distract myself!
Depression's back. :sigh: Suicidal, the whole shebang.

I'm here. That's all.
Reply 6727

Fair enough I found it really difficult to find somewhere to go spent ages picking so enjoy that fun one :smile:

and I imagine sharing a room with someone should be quite easy, but it just means that I have to spend the night listening to their breathing to try and make sure they are still alive and then panicking that they or someone else may come in and kill me, so all in all means I sleep very little! :hugs:

Thanks

:console: That doesn't sound good :hugs: Hope you don't worry too much and get some sleep :smile:.

I would love to talk to you on Facebook right now but I don't know what to talk about, and I'm shy :colondollar:

Original post by SciFiBoy
:hugs: next Tuesday can't come soon enough! I can get out of the house and talk to people and distract myself!

[scroll]:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: [/scroll]

Original post by ViceVersa
I'm here. That's all.

Thanks. :jumphug:
Original post by laut_biru
Well, that's fine, I cba to go to Birmingham.

If you don't bring them now I am going to be upset.

What are you doing on the ward?

Not entirely sure until I see the schedule on the day :tongue: Most likely it will be helping the occupational therapists with the various group sessions and activities.
Not entirely sure until I see the schedule on the day :tongue: Most likely it will be helping the occupational therapists with the various group sessions and activities.

You mean you won't be leading an armed uprising? :sad:

Ah cool.

I assume 'group sessions and activities' is code, yes? :tongue:
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, you don't have to answer anything you don't want to, he will understand.
:eek: Just as I opened this thread a reminder came up on my phone for it! The episode being aired in America today has Stephen Hawking in it :tongue: I've never had soothers, feel like I'm missing out a bit. On the other hand, pop tarts are the food of Gods.

I just realised that what I posted sounded like I'm really controlling what I'm eating. I'm not, just trying to lose a bit of weight. :smile:
I hope they do. Without sounding like a complete nobber/elite TSRian, school was so important to me. I can't see myself being happy without good grades to back me up, I've always thought that.
Self-harm reference

Spoiler

Yay it's all on 4od! Sounds awesome! :awesome:
I've never had pop tarts :lol:
Only discovered what they were about a year ago. :colondollar:
Sleep was rather difficult again, I can no longer breathe through my nose. :colonhash:

Ah right, good luck with it. :hugs:
Can understand that. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. :hugs:

Spoiler

Original post by avhhs
Thanks

:console: That doesn't sound good :hugs: Hope you don't worry too much and get some sleep :smile:.

I would love to talk to you on Facebook right now but I don't know what to talk about, and I'm shy :colondollar:

sorry my laptop battery died last night! I put my head phones in with loud music on though and managed to get some sleep :smile:

sorry about that, would have been nice to have a proper conversation! But seriously just say hi anytime and I am sure we'll get a conversation going, we have been talking on here for like a week or so now so I am sure we would come up with something to say :tongue:

Hope you are feeling alright this morning though huni :hugs:
Worst week of my life.
On Monday night I came home a bit drunk. My mum went mad. There was some fuss about me leaving my laptop on and my family reading my emails. My sister slapped me round the face so I left the house and was obviously upset. I then laid down in the middle of a main road wanting to be run over. Loads of cars just went round me, but one car stopped, dragged me to the side of the road and called the police. The police came and 136'd me. Took me to a police cell and strip searched me. It was horrible. They then transferred me to A&E where I had to wait 6 hours for home treatment and a doctor to come out to see me, they eventually did and did the whole "if you don't come with us we'll section you", so I agreed to go voluntarily. The hospital was horrible, it was a mixed ward and I hated it. I didn't take my medication and ended up smashing the dining room up. I discharged myself against medical advice last night. I was very nearly sectioned but I agreed to a few conditions: that I see HT everyday and take my medication.

:frown:
Reply 6736
sorry my laptop battery died last night! I put my head phones in with loud music on though and managed to get some sleep :smile:

sorry about that, would have been nice to have a proper conversation! But seriously just say hi anytime and I am sure we'll get a conversation going, we have been talking on here for like a week or so now so I am sure we would come up with something to say :tongue:

Hope you are feeling alright this morning though huni :hugs:

Never mind, at least you had some sleep. I only slept about 2 hours ago, and woke up just now :frown:. Did manage to do a little bit of work though :smile:

Thanks :smile:. Have to go somewhere in a bit so it will have to be later :tongue:

I'm feeling OK :/
Reply 6737
Original post by 35mm_
x

:hugs: That is horrific. I was literally :cry: when I read that. At least your safe right now :smile:. Please look after yourself :hugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 35mm_
On Monday night I came home a bit drunk. My mum went mad. There was some fuss about me leaving my laptop on and my family reading my emails. My sister slapped me round the face so I left the house and was obviously upset. I then laid down in the middle of a main road wanting to be run over. Loads of cars just went round me, but one car stopped, dragged me to the side of the road and called the police. The police came and 136'd me. Took me to a police cell and strip searched me. It was horrible. They then transferred me to A&E where I had to wait 6 hours for home treatment and a doctor to come out to see me, they eventually did and did the whole "if you don't come with us we'll section you", so I agreed to go voluntarily. The hospital was horrible, it was a mixed ward and I hated it. I didn't take my medication and ended up smashing the dining room up. I discharged myself against medical advice last night. I was very nearly sectioned but I agreed to a few conditions: that I see HT everyday and take my medication.

:hugs: So sorry things are **** right now. 136s are awful and strip searches when you already feel vulnerable are horrible :frown: Hopefully the HT team will help and maybe they can do a medication review as from the sounds of it whatever you're on now isn't really doing much for you. Have you got friends that could come over and see you? Just so that the only people you see aren't the HT, although having said that you might not really feel like seeing other people I guess. Anyway, I hope you're ok and you can stay safe at home.
Hello
i've just been diagnosed with depression and severe anxiety with my a levels coming up in a few weeks. I've been put on medication but thats probably not going to work for about a month and i'm going to go to talking therapy but not for at least three weeks.
At the moment I feel like I can't do anything and I think that i'm going to fail my a levels, i've looked a special consideration but it feels like cheating and anyway it dosen't seem like they consider problems with depression and anxiety.
I don't really know what to do and have noone to talk to although I probably wouldn't be able to tell them that I felt anything other than fine. I thought for ages I was depressed whilst the doctor bloodtested me for everything because I couldn't tell her I was miserable, in the end my Mum told her.
Thanks for reading it feels nice to have a community out there somewhere.

Latest