The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by oxymoronic
That's normal though (heating not going on until mid Oct, putting on jumpers instead of the heating, always ensuring you have the cheapest deals etc) but everywhere I've lived in Edinburgh and elsewhere in the UK (for the last 7 years and I've moved every year so I've lived in 7 properties) then you're looking at Β£1 per person per day for gas/electricity and this is pretty constant regardless of the provider or the people you live with. Given very few places in Edinburgh have double glazing and have very little in terms of wall insulation I find it odd that you claim to have spent Β£140 less in the last 7 months in your 4 bed Edinburgh flat than I have managed to spend in that period in my current 2 bed flat in London which has double glazing, is less than 5 years old and has a lot of energy saving devices. All credit to you if you are getting a quarterly bill of about Β£120 between 4 of you for gas and electricity - you must live in a magic flat and I would advise you never to move!

That said I always used to kid myself in second year that bills were actually about Β£10 a month each but when you actually look at the figures it was never the case so I don't know why I used to try and pretend that all of my bills combined were around Β£20 a month on top of my rent as I was only lying to my own bank balance :s-smilie: I think it was because I had to convince my parents that Edinburgh was affordable and Β£320 a month rent plus about Β£40-45 a month on electricity, gas, phone and internet is much closer to Β£400 which sounded expensive so I told myself what I wanted to believe :s-smilie:

My bill is what is. I'm the person in charge of it so I know exactly what it is and I'm not going to post a screen cap of it so I'll stop discussing it since it's not actually very interesting :tongue:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by BKS
My bill is what is. I'm the person in charge of it so I know exactly what it is and I'm not going to post a screen cap of it so I'll stop discussing it since it's not actually very interesting :tongue:

I don't require a screen shot - I'm really not that bothered about your personal situation beyond pointing out to prospective students that they should definitely expect to spend more than you on their bills. You clearly have a very excellent deal and live in a very energy efficient flat but that's not representative of costs in Edinburgh or generally. Ensuring people have accurate information to guide them is my job on TSR, at the end of the day, so that's what I'm going to do with my replies.

Which company and plan are you with though, out of interest? Then other people can sign up to the same cheap deal as you :smile:
Reply 242
Yeah, I have said a few times it's as cheap as you will get. I can't offer info beyond my own experience and didn't claim to so it is important other chip in to give a rounded view because cost of living varies from person to person. But I was getting a bit bored of the implied doubt that I'd hang around forums to lie about my energy bill

Npower's Go Save
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 243
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone knew how many people there are per flat in Turner House?

Thanks in advance!
Amy
Original post by Ajay13
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone knew how many people there are per flat in Turner House?

Thanks in advance!
Amy

0. Turner is in Pollock Halls, so everyone lives in single study bedrooms which are on corridors in a hall of residence.
Reply 245
I've read somewhere that accommodation services select your flatmates according to similar interests, but when I applied on-line for accommodation there was no where to put down my interests, do they send another form to fill out or something?
Original post by dizzeedollee
^
hmmm, that's what i thought too but wouldn't they just call it a ucas number if i was meant to enter my ucas number?

It is your UCAS number. :smile:
Reply 247
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
0. Turner is in Pollock Halls, so everyone lives in single study bedrooms which are on corridors in a hall of residence.

Sorry I meant per corridor - I'm trying to work out how many in the same corridor - thanks
Reply 248
Original post by persov
I've read somewhere that accommodation services select your flatmates according to similar interests, but when I applied on-line for accommodation there was no where to put down my interests, do they send another form to fill out or something?

Nope. When I applied for accommodation (this time 2 years ago) I got to put down whether I'd be willing to be in a co-ed flat, and whether I was a non-smoker. My flatmates & I were all roughly the same age, having done gap years etc, so I wondered if they partly matched us that way, but it mostly comes down to luck who you are put with.
Going to apply for the 57 quid shared.

Partly because it's the cheapest but also cos I'm a chatterbox :tongue:
Original post by daeonica
Nope. When I applied for accommodation (this time 2 years ago) I got to put down whether I'd be willing to be in a co-ed flat, and whether I was a non-smoker. My flatmates & I were all roughly the same age, having done gap years etc, so I wondered if they partly matched us that way, but it mostly comes down to luck who you are put with.

When you say about age, do they match people who will be 17 for the first few months?

I can't think of anything worse than being the only person from the flat that can't go out properly.
Reply 251
Likewise, I can't think of anything worse than being trapped with a bunch of kids that can't go out or drink, let alone be immature and not be able to handle their drink or do the washing up.

Do they bunch the slightly more mature students together?

How come 17 year olds are going to university anyway? surely it would be better to take a gap year first.
Original post by persov
Likewise, I can't think of anything worse than being trapped with a bunch of kids that can't go out or drink, let alone be immature and not be able to handle their drink or do the washing up.

How come 17 year olds are going to university anyway? surely it would be better to take a gap year first.

Wow. You're going to make friends quickly with that attitude.
Original post by persov

Try not to write off all 17-year-olds before you meet them, some can be quite mature :wink: And you can always have friends other than your flat-mates!
Original post by persov

Meh. It's just the natural progression from the completion of secondary education onto university.

We all have our own needs. Hell I drink, I just can't buy it myself using my own ID.

Re: gap year. According to my careers adviser, universities like you to apply when you're ready. I'm ready.
Original post by Gales
Do people who insure Edinburgh apply for accommodation too?

Yes, but they would only get shared accommodation, possibly bunks!

www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.85309!/fileManager/undergradleafletfinalproof.pdf
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 256
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Meh. It's just the natural progression from the completion of secondary education onto university.

We all have our own needs. Hell I drink, I just can't buy it myself using my own ID.

Re: gap year. According to my careers adviser, universities like you to apply when you're ready. I'm ready.

I understand what you mean, just from my experiences hanging out in halls at UCL this year, a lot of the guys and gals that didn't take gap years act a lot less mature than the ones that did....of course there are exceptions to that.

I also understand what it's like moving away from home for the first time, and that you can go a bit wild on the hygiene and drinking front because you don't have anyone telling you off for not doing washing up or leaving dirty plates on your room or drinking so much that you throw up in your bed.

It's just I've been there and done that now, and the fact that I lived like that for a year kinda grosses me out now, so I'd just like to be with some like-minded individuals. I'm still really open minded and up for everything, just with a bit more responsibility and maturity this time, so maybe being stuck with people straight out of school wouldn't be the best, I think I would form better friend ships with people that have taken gap years or are a bit older.

Just my two-cents. What I said in my original post was a bit of an over-exaggeration.
Can someone clarify something for me?

I was at the applicant's day on Wednesday and at the accommodation talk, the guy said that if you change your mind about anything on your application once you've applied, you can just apply again and it cancels out your last application.

Is that definitely right? I put Fraser Court as my first choice but after doing a bit of a Google about it (I know, I shoud've done my research first :rolleyes:) I've decided I don't want to live there, because a. people have said some very grim things about it, and b. I've realised I'd like to be more central.

Currently got down New Arthur Place as 2nd choice and East Newington Place as 3rd, I'd ideally like to change to NAP, ENP and Hermit's Croft (but maybe shuffle my choices around a bit).

Heeeeelp! :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 258
Apparently it's quite rare that you would get one of your choices anyway
Original post by persov
Apparently it's quite rare that you would get one of your choices anyway

I know, but to be fair, I think seeing as there's very little demand for Fraser Court (from what I gather at least...seen plenty of threads with people getting put there when it's not one of their choices), I probably would end up being put there because it's not high demand. So my logic is, may as well try and get somewhere better and if push comes to shove and they put me there because my choices are full, then I'll just have to deal with it, rather than immediately be put there out of choice! If that makes sense :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest