Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Try out the new **iPhone, iPad or Android** TSR App

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

As Easter is a time to think about new life, we're happy to announce the birth of the new TSR App as an Easter present for you.

Along with ChrisN (previously known as CN), we've been busy working on getting a TSR App up and running over the last few weeks. We're now ready with a first release of the app to use on live TSR.

The TSR testing team and Moderation team have already been testing the app for the past few days and whilst there are still a few issues, we're wanting to push the app out to more people to use. So please also encourage other people to give it a go too!

Below is a message from ChrisN about how to get the app and what bugs are known about.

Please use this thread to give us your feedback and report issues.

TSR Mobile App message from ChrisNSo the big moment is here...

EDIT: v1.1 of our Android App is now in Google Play.

Apple Lovers: the iPhone and iPad versions are now available in the App Store

Lovely reviews make us happy, and bring great rewards in future lives

Enjoy

Here's the current bug/feature enhancement status:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Priority 1 - Fixed
    1.Homepage Latest tab - Doesn't work - just continually tries to load and nothing appears to happen.
    5.We use the term “label” instead of “prefix”. Please can you change all instances of this.
    7.Forums tab – the reporting post field is pre-filled with 'it's a spam' – this will many times not be why the post is being reported and the grammar is not correct. Please can this field just be left blank.
    8.We use the term “watching” instead of subscribing for both thread and forum subscriptions. Please could you change all instances of this, and call the tab “Watched” instead of “Favourites”
    9.There is still mention of “topic” in the menu from the forum page. Please can you replace with “discussion”
    11.Search Results don't work as we use SOLR for search.
    14.Please can we add the following links to the list of items on the “more” tab . The UI should indicate that they are links to mobile browser version not within the app. These may not be available on apple due to limitations from apple.
    10.Who's online page doesn't work. This is being removed from the app as it is easy to remove, and not to fix, and not too important.
    6a.Forums tab -Create New Threads page gives options to insert smilies that don't exist on real TSR. Can we provide you with our 18 top smilies to replace these with? UPDATE: They are updating with the ones from quick reply. Animated ones will be static and show first screen.
    2.Forums tab - Forum redirects link to browser not app. All redirects are now showing correctly, but unfortunately they do open in the browser as they are just links in VB. We can look at this in a later release.
    6b.App not displaying all custom smilies in posts. It is now displaying the Top 50 chosen by the mods, but cant do more.

Priority 1 - Being Fixed
    15.If you make a new post on the app a post title is not associated to the post. Any posts created via it should have the default post title that pre-fills the post title field when making new posts the main site. This will usually be ‘RE: {thread title}’.

EVERYTHING BELOW HERE IS ON THE RADAR BUT WON'T BE HAPPENING YET. WE WANT TO GET MORE FEEDBACK IN REAL AND WIDE USE BEFORE DECIDING ON NEXT STEPS. THERE ARE ADDITIONAL ISSUES/REQUEST REPORTED WHICH NOW NEED CONSOLIDATING WITH THE POINTS BELOW SO THEY CAN BE CONSIDERED.
    Italic comments are from the Tapatalk developers

Priority 1 - Awaiting Feedback
    3.Sometimes redirects don't always appear.

4.Forums tab – Announcements - Clicking in to announcements doesn't show the content of the announcement.

12.Moderation – in the mod queue there is no ability for moderators to see who anonymous posters are either in queue or within forums.

13.Moderation – Post reports. There is no ability for moderators to see the reported content and deal with it. Moderation of Report post is currently not supported on serverside but we do have the API documented and it is supported in other forum system. If your developer is keen he can follow our API document to add this support We will investigate as soon as we get a chance, but internal developers are currently tied up in other projects.

Priority 2 - Large
    These are larger items of functionality that are quite key to TSR usability but we would like get to post launch if reasonably priced.

We are awaiting feedback on ease and pricing for all these.

1.Add “who quoted me” - This is turning into the most asked for request and likely to be first.

2.Reputation - Giving/receiving rep. There is no ability to “thumbs up” or “thumbs down” posts, or to see how many thumbs ups or downs a post has received.

3.Forums tab – Warnings. There are no options to give a warning, or view a member’s prior warnings.

4.Forums tab – Polls - Threads with polls do not display the polls for voting, nor the results.

5.In the postbit there is no indication of the usergroup/status of the user – are they are a moderator? Admin etc? On the site, one way we show this is through different colours and bold formatting of usernames i.e. Admin are red,bold etc...

6.Profile Visitor messages – there is no option to use/view these. Profile Visitor Message is currently not supported. I think we can add a new button in Profile as "Visitor Messages" but it will also requires serverside programming too. I think you are at least looking at 25 hours of work to get everything setup. This doesn't seem good value at this stage.

7.Pictures – Albums – there is no ability to create or view albums. For Album, we do not have built in support. Are you running the vB Album or is a custom-made one? We recommend you to make a mobile web version of it and we can somehow include it in the app for you. We will investigate when we get a chance, but internal developers are currently tied up in other projects. This is feeling like one for later at the moment.

8. Push Notifications - can these be extended to WQM and watched threads?

Priority 2 – Small
    These are smaller items of functionality we would like to fix post launch if reasonably priced. Again we are getting estimates.

8.Forums tab – when reporting a post there is no ability to use our drop down list of reasons why you're reporting it either - they show up as 'unknown' reason.

9.Forums tab – announcements - A lot of emphasis is placed on usernames within announcements - could this be changed to prioritise the title of the announcement?

10.Forums tab – “Ordered by name” tab is of no value on the student room – Is it easy to remove this?

11.Forums tab - On “new thread” the Prefixes option is weirdly listed behind the camera. This seems strange UI. Please can we remove that prefixes option from there.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just downloaded the app and have been playing around with it. So far I like it - it loads a lot quicker than accessing the site via my internet app. I'll let you know if I spot any bugs.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    That awesome moment when an app is released on Google Play before the App Store. :smug:
    • 40 followers

I've updated the status of fixes in first post.

Also FYI we expect to have the first draft of the iPhone App for internal testing by the end of next week too. There will be some rounds of fixes and then a week to get it published, so it's a little way off wider release yet, but thought you'd want to know it was making good progress

We are also planning to push the Android app into Google Play very soon too - hopefully early next week. Exciting stuff!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzini)
    That awesome moment when an app is released on Google Play before the App Store. :smug:
    :awesome:

Subscribing to keep up with messages here
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisN)
    Also FYI we expect to have the first draft of the iPhone App for internal testing by the end of next week too.
    Any chance of an iPad app?
    • 40 followers

(Original post by Akiraryuu)
    Any chance of an iPad app?
    Yes indeedy. That will be next. Not too many weeks away
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisN)
    Yes indeedy. That will be next. Not too many weeks away
    Whoop whoop! Can't wait!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't connect to that apkinstall website
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    If anyone else can't get onto the apkinstall website, download the .apk file from this thread, then email it to yourself. Then download Apk Installer from Google Play onto your phone (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....apkinst&hl=en). Then just open/install the email attachment on your phone, and it should install.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Erm...have you made a TSR app that doesn't let you see who's quoted you?
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    Erm...have you made a TSR app that doesn't let you see who's quoted you?
    You need to look at the spoilered section of the first post in the 'Priority 2 - Large' section for what's happening with WQM

The app is not built from scratch, but based on the Tapatalk app with customisations made to work with TSR and it's many customisations. As the 'WQM' widget is mostly custom code for TSR it's not a part of the app by default. But it's high up the list as one of the most important parts of the site we'd like to see included if possible

The route we're taking with the app is to keep things simple and get a working version out there. Then we can start adding in other key things as and when it's possible and based around how people want to use the app. No doubt WQM will be something people really want to see in there soon, so hopefully we'll be able to make that happen.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    You need to look at the spoilered section of the first post in the 'Priority 2 - Large' section for what's happening with WQM

The app is not built from scratch, but based on the Tapatalk app with customisations made to work with TSR and it's many customisations. As the 'WQM' widget is mostly custom code for TSR it's not a part of the app by default. But it's high up the list as one of the most important parts of the site we'd like to see included if possible

The route we're taking with the app is to keep things simple and get a working version out there. Then we can start adding in other key things as and when it's possible and based around how people want to use the app. No doubt WQM will be something people really want to see in there soon, so hopefully we'll be able to make that happen.
    Would it not be possible to make it so that the TSR website can detect when it's opened by an Android device (it is possible :P), so that people can click on the buttons in WQM, and be given the option of whether they'd like to open it with Browser or TSR? Just a suggestion
    • 108 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right maybe I'm being a technology fail but my QR reader refuses to scan that barcode...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey -

tried this app and its great - i have noticed however it crashes everytime I try to read my Private messages I get.

Odd thing is it was working fine before but seems to crash.

I noticed this yesterday when I installed it but havnt tried it today but thought I would give this feedback!
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Super excited for the iphone version! Thanks guys!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Found a bug - on http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1966361 the app shows latex equations as the smiley. I understand it would probably take time to get them to render properly but in the meantime perhaps it would be better to just show the raw code?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't connect to that apkinstall website:mad:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignativs2012)
    I can't connect to that apkinstall website:mad:
    I used tufc's method to install it in post 10.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Subscribing to hear for news on the iPhone version!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: November 22, 2013
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.