Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could you kill?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If murder was not illegal, do you think you could/would kill someone? For instance, let's say you were confronted by someone you've despised all your life, has exploited you etc. etc. Removing the aspect of legality, do you still think you'd have a modern morality dictating your actions, or do you think it would be absent in the absence of law?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If they were still acting against me, or it would benefit my emotional health.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think I could but whether I would depends on the circumstances.

But to be honest, I think it's damn near impossible for anyone to give an opinion even remotely close to the truth until they are in the situation.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only if my own life or another's was in danger, and even then, only if there was absolutely NO other alternative.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm killing as we speak..

Spoiler:
    Show
    KILLING TIME THAT IS :dance:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If murder were legalised, I'd be too busy cowering in my bedroom to kill anyone.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it depends.

If religion still existed, then the majority of people still wouldn't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehmoodd)
    it depends.

If religion still existed, then the majority of people still wouldn't.
    Adherence to a religion doesn't equate to having morals, and vice-versa. I doubt there's even much of a correlation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anything to shut a bitch up
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I hate anyone enough to kill them.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tite23)
    Only if my own life or another's was in danger, and even then, only if there was absolutely NO other alternative.
    you say that because we've grown up to believe taking a human being's life is acceptable only to save another life. If murder had never been illegal I highly doubt you'd have the same opinion- killing would just be a normal part of society.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    The best way of looking at it is to look at other societies where life is less valued. There are several headhunting tribes where you take a life at the birth of a child, at becoming a man, at getting married etc, for no reason other than tradition, and people brought up like that rarely have a problem with it.

On the other hand, if murder was suddenly legalised now (possibly what you were asking about), I think the majority of people, including me, couldn't kill. And if they could they would be forcing themselves not to think about the pain and loss they were causing, rather than about themselves, as it should be regardless of puishment.

I think morals are subjective, and I don't believe in God, but I'm still glad we have a moral system and I'm happy to stick by it because pain is not subjective
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I could kill somebody who tried to murder somebody I love, in defence of them. Or in a blind rage if they HAD killed somebody I love. Or in self defence if they were trying to kill me. Otherwise no.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think I could. I feel guilty leaving a lightbulb turned on or stepping on a snail, I wouldn't be able to handle killing a human being.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S23a)
    I'm killing as we speak..

Spoiler:
    Show
    KILLING TIME THAT IS :dance:
    That was a dead joke
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I was pushed far enough to do it, then yes I probably would
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I could, if I had a good enough motive to!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    No, I don't think I could. I feel guilty leaving a lightbulb turned on or stepping on a snail, I wouldn't be able to handle killing a human being.
    You don't think, but you are not certain. Therefore there is doubt, which if seized upon - in the right circumstances i.e. anger, provoked attack, revenge for death of a relative etc. - Then I'm fairly sure you would.

I think this crap about people not being able to kill is just an over exaggeration of the superego in that, you want to have the moral high ground (supposing such a thing exists). Also, one thing that baffles me is

people say, they couldn't kill - but they're okay with people watching others do it? I bet the majority of you were in favour of the so called " iraq and afghanistan war " (even though, neither of such things existed, ... no, stop your fairy tale, they didn't.)

So essentially, you're saying: Killing is okay... aslong as I don't participate in it. Taken to the extreme, it's just the exclusion of obscenity... thus super ego.

Me? I'm fairly sure I could commit, to quote Bill Hicks "unbiased genocide against humanity", ... there are thousands of banal morons that should die (but universal rights, blah blah blah).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I had the opportunity in self defence I can't say 100% that I wouldn't.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would say no but until im in a situation which is like that then i cant say for sure that i wouldnt. I dont think i would be able to cope with guilt even if they were in the wrong.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 6, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.