The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ree69
Probably a silly question, but do any halls permit smoking?

Absolutely not. There are designated areas for smoking outside each block (however, so long as you are out of the way of the entrance, they don't particularly care).

For the love of everything, DO NOT try to smoke in your room, or even out of the window. The fire alarms are sensitive to the point of crazy. If someone finds out that they were scared ****less awake by the alarm and then had to walk in a sleepy, grumpy haze in the wet and cold at 4am because someone was smoking, you WILL be lynched (and fined by the uni. Trust me, the fine is the lesser of the two evils :tongue:)

EDIT: I would say, if you are awake enough when this happens (when, not if), seeing some people's attire is fairly amusing :lol: . Still doesn't make up for the fact that you have a 9am lecture to get up for, but it lightens the mood considerably :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 4521
Original post by Nirgilis

For the love of everything, DO NOT try to smoke in your room, or even out of the window.

Ha, I was just thinking this! Ah well, guess I'll have to go outside like everyone else...

What about stuff like smoking in the bathroom? (in your own ensuite room)
Could that work? :cool:
Original post by Ree69
Ha, I was just thinking this! Ah well, guess I'll have to go outside like everyone else...

:nah: . As I said, the fire alarms are super sensitive. If you leave your bathroom door open in an ensuite while you take a shower, the water vapour could even set it off! :lolwut: :lol: . The security guys know exactly which room sets off the fire alarm too, so it's best just to avoid the hassle (and the fine) and go outside :yep:
I'm a prospective student, and thinking about accomodation for 2012/13.
I was just wondering for the Halls that do not have integral laundrettes, how do those students get their laundry done? Is there a communal launderette on campus, or do most of them live close enough to home to get it done by their parents?
Cheers.
Original post by apgreen ppe
I was just wondering for the Halls that do not have integral laundrettes, how do those students get their laundry done? Is there a communal launderette on campus, or do most of them live close enough to home to get it done by their parents?
Cheers.

Yes there is a communal Laundrette.
Original post by Ree69

The cleaner would notice the smell of smoke when they clean your bathroom. Don't be selfish, just go outside.
Cheers.

that made me lol
Cheers.

Very few of them don't have integral laundrettes, but they will have communal laundrettes. I've never been in any of the communal ones, but the integral ones have 2 washers and 2 dryers to serve the whole block of 100 or more, so there can often be a wait if you do your washing at peak times.
Original post by KittyKattyKaity
It's not on the price list for this year tho.

Where did you get the price list?:confused:
Reply 4529
Original post by ms.brightside
Where did you get the price list?:confused:

Someone linked to it on the previous page of this thread. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=36990624&postcount=4524
Choices so far -
1. AV/JM (just can't decide, too little in between :s-smilie:)
2. Westwood
3. Cryfield/Lakeside

Thoughts?
Updated the thread a bit.

Includes the new prices for 2012-13. At the moment we don't know the complete accommodation distribution for freshers/finalists/PGs or if Benefactors has survived.

I've also finally redone the map for the first time in over a year:
Check it out here or in the full guide.
Cheers.

There are communal ones, Rootes Launderette is massive and covers most halls - I had to use it last term when the AV2 one was locked out of use! :hmmm:
hey may i know what's the difference between the old and new rootes? do first year undergrad get to choose between those two? thank you!
Original post by Ree69

There's no fire alarms in the kitchens. That's where everyone smokes.
Original post by Callum828
There's no fire alarms in the kitchens. That's where everyone smokes.

All the smokers in my halls last year smoked outside, and if I saw someone smoking in the kitchen I would've happily reported them.
What's lakeside like?
Original post by matt2k8
All the smokers in my halls last year smoked outside, and if I saw someone smoking in the kitchen I would've happily reported them.

And that's why I chose Rootes
Reply 4538
Does anyone know anything about the new accommodation, Sherbourne, opening 2012/2013?

Any information is helpful xD
Reply 4539
Original post by XstreaMoon
hey may i know what's the difference between the old and new rootes? do first year undergrad get to choose between those two? thank you!

It's two different styles of building within the same group of halls. When you apply, you would just put 'Rootes' as one of your choices and if you get it, they'll put you in either old or new. Usually you wouldn't make this choice yourself, although I suppose you could put down a preference in your personal description but there's no guarentee that they would follow it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending