The Student Room Group

University acceptances

Could some universities be completely ruthless by not confirming your place if you just miss a grade? So for example, I have an offer at AAB, but I get AAC, what are the chances of being accepted and not having to go through clearing.

Thanks!
Reply 1
No clear cut answer for this - depends on a variety of factors. The uni, the course, how much you missed your offer by, how many other people met their offers, how much the uni actually want you (from you application/interview) etc.

So even places where you hear that last year they did/didn't let people in who missed their offer, no guarantee it would be the same this year.

You may have a uni and course which is competitive, they will give out a slightly higher number of offers than places on the assumption that not everyone will actually end up going there. If many people meet their offers, but you don't, you are likely to be unlucky. If quite a few people miss their offers and you have only missed it by a little bit - and were a good applicant other than that, you may be lucky.

No straight forward answer I'm afraid!
It happens. My friend last year missed her grade by 2 UMS and they wouldn't accept her.
It just depends on the university, course, how competitive it is & how much they like your personal statement/interview etc.

Edit: it may also vary depending on if you miss one grade but do better on another (if that makes sense?) like someone else I know last year had an offer of ABB and got in with AAC. Just depends on the uni :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Gawjuz.x
Could some universities be completely ruthless by not confirming your place if you just miss a grade? So for example, I have an offer at AAB, but I get AAC, what are the chances of being accepted and not having to go through clearing.

Thanks!

This is generally what they do. Sometimes they may be leniant but they don't have to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending