The Student Room Group

ARE GCSE's too easy!?

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="katrina1;36998166"]
Original post by carpe diem 123
Yeh I agree. I really don't understand how people 30 yrs older than us can say that GCSE's are getting easier just because the pass rate is going up. Surely it's because teachers and students alike are getting better at answering the questions, revising, and because there are ever more materials to further a students learning.

I think GCSE's are quite narrow i.e, you are expected to write in a certain way for the humanitarian subjects, which is quite different, and above all doesn't really prepare you for the way you need to write at A level.

I say give the people that complain a few GCSE papers, and make them go through the education system, and have to endure some frankly appalling teachers - who usually don't even want to be in the job.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with this point. The high school that I went to was deemed to be "outstanding" by OFSTED yet there were still a suspicious amount of awful teachers who could never even control their classes, let alone teach. Consequently, I spent five years wishing that I could have applied to the Grammar School I was hoping to go when I was in Year 6, instead of following my friends and attending the local school.

Yeh exactly.

Also, going back 30 years - when we had the grammar schools, and being a "teacher" was a wholly respected profession for those that had a real passion for their subject - standards were obviously much higher. And it is those that went to these grammar schools, and had bought intensive lessons that are now complaining. The problem, frankly, is not the GCSE's, it's the teachers; it's quite miraculous really that we have such high pass rates given the standards of some teachers!
Reply 161
[QUOTE="123;37004193" carpe="carpe" diem="diem"]
Original post by katrina1

Yeh exactly.

Also, going back 30 years - when we had the grammar schools, and being a "teacher" was a wholly respected profession for those that had a real passion for their subject - standards were obviously much higher. And it is those that went to these grammar schools, and had bought intensive lessons that are now complaining. The problem, frankly, is not the GCSE's, it's the teachers; it's quite miraculous really that we have such high pass rates given the standards of some teachers!

Are you currently in the education system?
Reply 162
Also, are people suggesting A levels have gotten easier?
Reply 163
Original post by matthurry
Also, are people suggesting A levels have gotten easier?

Haven't they?

Look at the core A level maths for example.
Reply 164
Original post by f1mad
Haven't they?

Look at the core A level maths for example.

I agree with you there - the A level has definitely become easier... the material covered in A-level Maths AND Further Maths used to be in the "just" Maths A-level 20 or so years ago. Though I don't think that "subject" degrees or vocational degrees such as Law or Medicine has decreased in quality (at least not in redbrick universities)... it's mainly that the transition between A-level and University is greater and the first term is mainly used bringing people up to speed....
Reply 165
Ok here is a Alevel maths 3hr exam paper from 1971

maths1_0001.jpg
maths1_0002.jpg
maths1_0003.jpg
For me personally, I found my GCSEs fairly straightforward and it was rather easy for me to get the grades I did get. But I wouldn't say that they were getting easier, they've changed which for some people may be easier, but for others it's not.
I did Triple Science for GCSE and some of the stuff covered in Biology and Chemistry was stuff that my parents and step-dad didn't really understand (quite interesting given they have degrees in Biomedical Science, Applied Biology and Biochemistry). They were helping me revise and tried to do one of the papers and would have got a lower grade than they did when they did GCSEs and O-Levels, so I just reckon that GCSEs are just different to how they used to be.
Reply 167
Original post by Harveys
Ok here is a Alevel maths 3hr exam paper from 1971

maths1_0001.jpg
maths1_0002.jpg
maths1_0003.jpg

Thats such an old paper, the point is that if those topics were still taught today ****ers who failed their a levels / gcses would complain about how easier it is. And by the way, that paper isn't particularly difficult, see a FP3 paper / c4.
Reply 168
Like always it will depend on the person. I personally would find Chemistry for 10 year olds hard and it's a miracle that I got the grade I did at GCSE (for me it was nearly impossible). Sometimes though it is a bitter old person moaning or someone who is obviously talented or dedicated enough for them to get 13 A*. I think the system has changed though and whether it has changed for better or for worse is entirely subjective.
Reply 169
Original post by Angry Spartan
Agree with OP.

It can be quite frustrating when you see people criticizing young people for 'not doing anything', yet when they accomplish something like doing well in GCSE's, it's just "Well, they're easier than when I was at school".

*Shakes fist*

My mum said this and she has no qualifications to speak of :frown:
Thats such an old paper, the point is that if those topics were still taught today ****ers who failed their a levels / gcses would complain about how easier it is. And by the way, that paper isn't particularly difficult, see a FP3 paper / c4.

Except they clearly are more difficult. Even if they weren't, that wouldn't mean it wasn't too easy now.
Reply 171
Without a doubt, yes they are far too easy :/ I got 1xA, 6xB and 3xC Without Any revision at all so.. :/
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Also, I got my A* in maths back in November. You needed 80% over all for an A*, which I think is stupidly low, as the papers are also incredibly easy.

:eek: That's it? For the Maths IGCSE I did, you needed 94% for an A*...

Did mine back in November too :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 173
GCSEs are ridiculously easy as are A-Levels.
I dont think they're 'easy' but they do not prepare students for a-level in any shape or form!
Reply 175
Original post by Madmia
Without a doubt, yes they are far too easy :/ I got 1xA, 6xB and 3xC Without Any revision at all so.. :/

... And it shows, they aren't great grades to be honest, if they are so 'easy' and even if they were harder, that would mean you would of gotten D's and E's? so why are you complaining?
Reply 176
Original post by bax121
GCSEs are ridiculously easy as are A-Levels.

Oh, what did you get in your GCSEs and a levels?
Im suprised they let you take every single GCSE and ALevel, as you clearly know everything about every subject?
Reply 177
Oh, what did you get in your GCSEs and a levels?
Im suprised they let you take every single GCSE and ALevel, as you clearly know everything about every subject?

Straight As/A*s at GCSE

As in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics for A-level.

I didn't work hard for it and I don't think I'm particularly smart but getting As at GCSE and A-level is easy.
Reply 178
They're easy so that the majority can pass (providing they put some effort in) and have a chance to succeed(?) in whatever they choose to do after eg sixth form, apprenticeship etc. Having said that, some of the top marks at GCSEs are tricky to achieve, you know..
Reply 179
Original post by bax121
Straight As/A*s at GCSE

As in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics for A-level.

I didn't work hard for it and I don't think I'm particularly smart but getting As at GCSE and A-level is easy.

Depends entirely on the subjects that you study.

Quick Reply

Latest