The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6260
Original post by PJ991
you first asked about second and third years. and for those, the vast majority of accommodation won't include gas, electricity, water rates, TV licence etc.

of course, in halls, it is all included.

sorry you probably got me mixed up with someone else.
I'm going to be entering my first year this September, if i applied to houses rather than halls do i have to pay anything more?
or is it that you pay what you see on the link below and no more?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/residences/fees
:/
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 6261
Original post by jayy1994
sorry you probably got me mixed up with someone else.
I'm going to be entering my first year this September, if i applied to houses rather than halls do i have to pay anything more?
or is it that you pay what you see on the link below and no more?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/residences/fees
:/

well it's because you quoted me answering a question from someone else about 2nd and 3rd years.:rolleyes:

UCL call their self-catered accommodation houses and catered accommodation halls, they're all halls really. You pay the fees on there. Why would you pay more in a UCL 'house' rather than a UCL 'hall'?
Reply 6262
Original post by PJ991
well it's because you quoted me answering a question from someone else about 2nd and 3rd years.:rolleyes:

UCL call their self-catered accommodation houses and catered accommodation halls, they're all halls really. You pay the fees on there. Why would you pay more in a UCL 'house' rather than a UCL 'hall'?

ahh ok cheers :smile: don't suppose you know about catered halls? just wondering if you felt peckish n wanted a quick snack or a cuppa what would you do with no kitchens :/
Reply 6263
ahh ok cheers :smile: don't suppose you know about catered halls? just wondering if you felt peckish n wanted a quick snack or a cuppa what would you do with no kitchens :/

they have small kitchen type spaces shared between however many rooms. then it depends what building you're in as to what is in these kitchens. Cupboards, fridges, you could put kettles or toasters in etc. (they weren't supplied in any halls I went to, including self-catered)
Reply 6264
Hi, a friend and I are thinking of sharing a room at an intercollegiate hall, and we've got a few questions to ask.

1) I understand from previous posts that there is a space to put someone's name as your preferred roommate, but will they definitely put you with that person? Is there a way of declaring firmly I really only want to share with one person (eg in the "most important factor to you" part)?

2) What is ensuite double? Does it mean one room with two beds, or a room with a large bed for two? In the same vein, are there any rooms for sharing that are ensuite in the intercollegiate halls?

3) Does anyone know what the intercollegiate halls are like and which ones would you recommend (eg cleaner, nearer to grocery stores, etc.)? So far no one posting seems to live there.

Thanks!
Original post by Calmeni
Hi, a friend and I are thinking of sharing a room at an intercollegiate hall, and we've got a few questions to ask.

1) I understand from previous posts that there is a space to put someone's name as your preferred roommate, but will they definitely put you with that person? Is there a way of declaring firmly I really only want to share with one person (eg in the "most important factor to you" part)?

2) What is ensuite double? Does it mean one room with two beds, or a room with a large bed for two? In the same vein, are there any rooms for sharing that are ensuite in the intercollegiate halls?

3) Does anyone know what the intercollegiate halls are like and which ones would you recommend (eg cleaner, nearer to grocery stores, etc.)? So far no one posting seems to live there.

Thanks!

when you're on the application form it does explain a lot of this.
in most halls, you chose between single, single ensuite and twin en suite. Somewhere else it says that twin is seperate beds.
Reply 6266
Hi, the reason why we're asking these questions is because we can't access the application form right now and wish to be more informed before we start filling it in. I read a few posts back that the online form is very unforgiving to mistakes and that you can't change your answers on the previous page without deleting the whole application, so we'd like to get it right on the first try.

Thank you very much! Would you happen to know which intercollegiate halls have twin ensuite?
(edited 11 years ago)
Planning to firm UCL tomorrow but do you have to wait for anything (post or email) before filling out the accomodation form?
How big are the wardrobes in Ramsay ?
Reply 6269
Original post by Heroesorghosts
Oh right I see. So what does the form include?

are you applying for accommodation? you'll find out if you are.

personal details. preferences. little bit where you put your interests. put a photo on it.
Reply 6270
Is anyone else being put off insuring a UCL offer due to their policy for accomodation for insurers :/ ? Im confused as to if you insure you are even allowed to apply for any accomodation on the off chance of a space or just have to automatically find your own by own means of site they suggest!?
Original post by emma mw
Is anyone else being put off insuring a UCL offer due to their policy for accomodation for insurers :/ ? Im confused as to if you insure you are even allowed to apply for any accomodation on the off chance of a space or just have to automatically find your own by own means of site they suggest!?

most unis only have accommodation guaranteed to firmers? Just meet the grades of your firm :L

Who did you firm over UCL, just out of curiosity ?
Reply 6272
Original post by emma mw

tbh im sure most unis have the policy, they can't offer you an accommodation place if you might not even go there, when that room could've gone to someone else who firmed it.
But I can imagine that you feel stuck if you had no-where to live! There's the student housing i think. This threads a bit old but check it out : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=555285
good luck
Reply 6273
Original post by Moiraclaire
How big are the wardrobes in Ramsay ?

Not big enough! :smile: They are quite deep and narrow so I found it difficult to get my stuff from the shelf - sometimes it simply got lost somewhere in the darkness, out of my arm's reach... and there's not enough space for hanging clothes which I found frustrating, especially with smart clothes or dresses.
Original post by lilys
Not big enough! :smile: They are quite deep and narrow so I found it difficult to get my stuff from the shelf - sometimes it simply got lost somewhere in the darkness, out of my arm's reach... and there's not enough space for hanging clothes which I found frustrating, especially with smart clothes or dresses.

I'm really going to struggle :L
Are there draws ? or just a hanging space ?
Reply 6275
Original post by willmarks
Planning to firm UCL tomorrow but do you have to wait for anything (post or email) before filling out the accomodation form?

Heya, you will probably get a letter or email (I got a letter) confirming your offer and there was a little booklet about the UCL experience and financial support generally.

Though you do not need to wait for your userid as you can enter your own email address which will allow you to access your userid if it has been issued or it will allow you to register your own personal email address if you don't have a userid, which will allow you to access the Accommodation online services:

https://residences.ucl.ac.uk/StarRezPortal/Default.aspx?Params=L9ezxPcQnQsDuaBX%2bLFbaS7g8dqK9e0T

Entering your own email address:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/our/regForm.do

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 6276
most unis only have accommodation guaranteed to firmers? Just meet the grades of your firm :L

Who did you firm over UCL, just out of curiosity ?

haha yeah i know! I haven't firmed or insured yet but I think I'll firm Durham for Natural Science its just its A*AA im quite confident of the grades but with an A* if the final modual doesnt go well its a little risky anyway that is all :smile:
Reply 6277
tbh im sure most unis have the policy, they can't offer you an accommodation place if you might not even go there, when that room could've gone to someone else who firmed it.
But I can imagine that you feel stuck if you had no-where to live! There's the student housing i think. This threads a bit old but check it out : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=555285
good luck

yes most Unis dont guarantee accomodation to insurers but for my possible other insurance for instance bath you can apply for accomodation from results day if you are definatly going there with preferances and its most likely you will manage to get some form of student accomodation where as it just sounds like for UCL its a very slim- nil chance :/ and London is a bit of a scary option for me anyway having been for the first time on the open day and living in the countryside etc I will check out that thread thankyou for the responce :smile:
Reply 6278
I'm really going to struggle :L
Are there draws ? or just a hanging space ?

The wardrobe is divided into two halves: a hanging space and several shelves. In addition to this, there is a set of 3 drawers but I mainly used it for stationery and books, although you have two hanging shelves as well (so you can use the latter for your study stuff and drawers for clothes - I just always end up with loads of books)
Reply 6279
How is it like to live in a twin room? Will your partner come from the same department? Is there a way one can choose with whom to live?

Latest