Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What to do before Gym?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    OK so i'm 6'1 and kinda skinny but I wanna go to the Gym and get ripped

So obviously I plan to put on some weight before I go but what should I be focusing on before I start Gym , or should I just head straight to the gym?

Cheers
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    head straight to the gym and dont look back..... dont worry about making your diet 100% perfect b4 u start.....it'll probably only de-motivate u...with all the effort gta put in..... and slowly try and improve on your diet (cos thats really the only hard part).... took me about 2 years..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BSc.Pro.Logic)

So obviously I plan to put on some weight before I go but what should I be focusing on before I start Gym , or should I just head straight to the gym?

Cheers
    Knock one off.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Read Starting Strength.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Set a routine or go with starting strength.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice all. I will try to sign up to the gym near the University I plan to go to. I'll also read up on the starting strength you suggested and take it from there.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catjaum)
    head straight to the gym and dont look back..... dont worry about making your diet 100% perfect b4 u start.....it'll probably only de-motivate u...with all the effort gta put in..... and slowly try and improve on your diet (cos thats really the only hard part).... took me about 2 years..
    Well the first step before gym is to ignore anything Catjaum says. He might have a massive upper body but he has literally no core and I dread to think of what his legs are like. He probably has a bicep:thigh ratio of 1:1 and if you're 6'1'' that will look pretty bad. You need to be balanced to actually look good and it sounds like you're more concerned about aesthetics.

It might be worth investing in supplements like whey protein to give you a bit of a boost seeing as you're trying to add mass.

Cheers
    I wouldn't head straight to the gym just yet. Start off easy with exercises that require the use of your own body weight. Push-ups are great and seeing as you're skinny, you will see quick results to start off with, provided you stick to it. Set yourself targets and whatnot and for a few weeks you can build your strength so you're in a position where you can last a proper lifting session in the gym.

Also, identify weaknesses your physique and work on the body parts that are disproportional to the rest. As I said, since you're tall you're more likely to look quite weird if your body isn't balanced. Don't forget legs and core.

All this is vague but it's a decent starting platform.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zangoose)
    I wouldn't head straight to the gym just yet. Start off easy with exercises that require the use of your own body weight. Push-ups are great and seeing as you're skinny, you will see quick results to start off with, provided you stick to it. Set yourself targets and whatnot and for a few weeks you can build your strength so you're in a position where you can last a proper lifting session in the gym.

Also, identify weaknesses your physique and work on the body parts that are disproportional to the rest. As I said, since you're tall you're more likely to look quite weird if your body isn't balanced. Don't forget legs and core.

All this is vague but it's a decent starting platform.
    Sounds like good advice. I was expecting a reply like this rather than heading straight to the gym to be honest. I'll probably start off with the easy exercises as you said (push-ups etc). Would it make sense to take the supplements as I do these or should I wait till I'm at the Gym?

Anyone have a basic plan that I could follow for the next few months?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like good advice. I was expecting a reply like this rather than heading straight to the gym to be honest. I'll probably start off with the easy exercises as you said (push-ups etc). Would it make sense to take the supplements as I do these or should I wait till I'm at the Gym?
    But why wait to head to the gym?

Start light with just the bar, it'll be easy so you can get your form sorted and then get to heavier weights sooner.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bax121)

Start light with just the bar, it'll be easy so you can get your form sorted and then get to heavier weights sooner.
    I feel like I can build a decent amount of strength before I go so when I do head to the Gym I don't have to start off right at the bottom - that itself might put off me off even when most people are lifting heavy stuff and i'm struggling with the light ones . Also I can save a bit of money.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well the first step before gym is to ignore anything Catjaum says. He might have a massive upper body but he has literally no core and I dread to think of what his legs are like. He probably has a bicep:thigh ratio of 1:1 and if you're 6'1'' that will look pretty bad. You need to be balanced to actually look good and it sounds like you're more concerned about aesthetics.
    no core??? err....i do planche pushups for fun mate.....and i weigh 80kg..... thats some serious core right there....

and my legs are not huge...buts thats out of choice....they're big enough to fit in with my body.....

dont come on here saying crap like you know what your talking about..... add protein for mass is what you said...LOL.....the most important factor for mass would be carbzzz.....if u actually tried getting big and achieved your goals you would realise how important carbs actually are....

you talk about identifying weaknesses in your body to a n00b......BEFORE ANYONE CAN EVEN BEGIN LOOKING AT WEAKNESSES OR ANYTHING ELSE THEY WOULD NEED TO HAVE BEEN IN A GYM FOR A WHILE...

you clearly dont know much about training other then the generic bits of information you've picked up from the net....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like good advice. I was expecting a reply like this rather than heading straight to the gym to be honest.
    Good.

I'll probably start off with the easy exercises as you said (push-ups etc). Would it make sense to take the supplements as I do these or should I wait till I'm at the Gym?
    Start taking supplements as soon as you can. These supplements will aid recovery and seeing as you're just starting, they will help with quicker recovery and mass gains from an early stage.

Anyone have a basic plan that I could follow for the next few months?
    I could help you with a basic plan but not as far as the next few months.

(Original post by bax121)

I disagree.

Remember, this guy says he is skinny and has barely any experience. It may be a bit intimidating and demoralising to put him in an environment with other more experienced and more muscular people where he has no clue what he's doing.

And besides, it's a waste of time and possibly money because at such an early stage where you've never lifted weights, you'll probably be doing basic stuff anyway; stuff so basic that it's not even worth shelling out cash for a gym membership.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    no core???
    Yep. Not even the slightest sign of abdominal muscle or definition.

err....i do planche pushups for fun mate.....and i weigh 80kg..... thats some serious core right there....
    Awesome.

and my legs are not huge...
    They are in fact, pitiful.

buts thats out of choice....they're big enough to fit in with my body.....
    Ok.

dont come on here saying crap like you know what your talking about..... add protein for mass is what you said...LOL.....
    When did I say this?

the most important factor for mass would be carbzzz.....if u actually tried getting big and achieved your goals you would realise how important carbs actually are....
    :troll:

you talk about identifying weaknesses in your body to a n00b......BEFORE ANYONE CAN EVEN BEGIN LOOKING AT WEAKNESSES OR ANYTHING ELSE THEY WOULD NEED TO HAVE BEEN IN A GYM FOR A WHILE...
    I was talking about proportions which are due to past lifestyles or our natural body shapes. You don't need to be at the gym for a while to notice imbalances in your physique. For instance, I always had really skinny arms and I had practically no chest and my calves were small. However, I had good abs and good thighs so I started working to improve my weaker areas.

If this doesn't make sense to you then you need help brah.

you clearly dont know much about training other then the generic bits of information you've picked up from the net....
    I didn't use the internet brah. Not to be smug, but my intellect is far superior to yours and I am more knowledgeable in this subject than you will ever be.

Go back to chugging your protein shakes, curlbro.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Good.

Start taking supplements as soon as you can. These supplements will aid recovery and seeing as you're just starting, they will help with quicker recovery and mass gains from an early stage.

I could help you with a basic plan but not as far as the next few months.
    Alright, I'll try get the supplements when I can then. I wouldn't mind your basic plan then even if it's for a week or two - just anything to get me started
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Not even the slightest sign of abdominal muscle or definition.

Awesome.

They are in fact, pitiful.

Ok.

When did I say this?

I was talking about proportions which are due to past lifestyles or our natural body shapes. You don't need to be at the gym for a while to notice imbalances in your physique. For instance, I always had really skinny arms and I had practically no chest and my calves were small. However, I had good abs and good thighs so I started working to improve my weaker areas.

If this doesn't make sense to you then you need help brah.

I didn't use the internet brah. Not to be smug, but my intellect is far superior to yours and I am more knowledgeable in this subject than you will ever be.

Go back to chugging your protein shakes, curlbro.
    you seem like an embittered little kid....LOLLLLL.....pics or gfto..... seriously.....whatever you wanna accomplish with your physique iv'e either already accomplished or could accomplish if i could be bothered.....

its easy to try an criticize someone else's body....but i dont see you upping any of your pics.....

and b4 you get on some stupid high ground about how u dont need to prove anything...blah blah....insert lame excuse and try to come off as intelligent here...i dnt wana hear it ....cos u wont upload anything.... cos your most probably not that built yourself...

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    you seem like an embittered little kid....LOLLLLL.....pics or gfto..... seriously.....whatever you wanna accomplish with your physique iv'e either already accomplished or could accomplish if i could be bothered.....
    Embittered? That's a pretty big word for you to use, Catjaum. I hope you didn't injure yourself thinking of that word Mr. Meat For Brains. It probably stretches the very limits of your mental abilities.

I'll admit, you have bigger arms, bigger traps and a bigger chest but that's pretty much it. My body is much better proportioned than yours and I have far better definition. My thighs, hamstrings and glutes are pretty impressive and I have excellent definition on those. My back is pretty ripped and my abs, lats and obliques are immensely chiseled.

You carry a few more kilos of bulk than I do but aesthetically speaking, size isn't everything. And besides, I'm a proper athlete and whenever I lift I actually have an objective in mind which is to improve my performance and not just the way I look.

You Sir on the other hand, are just a meathead who when all else fails, turns to his body to settle a dispute rather than attempting to do so in a sophisticated manner.

its easy to try an criticize someone else's body....but i dont see you upping any of your pics.....
    Does this mean if I upped my pics you would be more open to criticism?

and b4 you get on some stupid high ground about how u dont need to prove anything...blah blah....insert lame excuse and try to come off as intelligent here...i dnt wana hear it ....cos u wont upload anything.... cos your most probably not that built yourself...

Okay... Well as I said earlier curlbro, it seems that getting built is your main concern and you're just gonna talk down to everyone who doesn't walk around the nightclub with their arms out to the side wearing a t-shirt 10 sizes too small as you do. You obsess too much about being built which is why you have that flabby one-pack and thighs the same size as your forearms.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'll admit, you have bigger arms, bigger traps and a bigger chest but that's pretty much it. My body is much better proportioned than yours and I have far better definition. My thighs, hamstrings and glutes are pretty impressive and I have excellent definition on those. My back is pretty ripped and my abs, lats and obliques are immensely chiseled. My weakest areas are my calves and chest but I'm not too fussed about getting a massive chest because I run.

You carry a few more kilos of bulk than I do but aesthetically speaking, size isn't everything. And besides, I'm a proper athlete and whenever I lift I actually have an objective in mind which is to improve my performance and not just the way I look.

You Sir on the other hand, are just a meathead who when all else fails, turns to his body to settle a dispute rather than attempting to do so in a sophisticated manner.

Okay... Well as I said earlier curlbro, it seems that getting built in the upper body is your only concern and you're just gonna talk down to everyone who doesn't walk around the nightclub with their arms out to the side wearing a t-shirt 10 sizes too small. You obsess too much about having a big chest and arms which is why you have an awesome one-pack and thighs the same size as your forearms.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll admit, you have bigger arms, bigger traps and a bigger chest but that's pretty much it. My body is much better proportioned than yours and I have far better definition. My thighs, hamstrings and glutes are pretty impressive and I have excellent definition on those. My back is pretty ripped and my abs, lats and obliques are immensely chiseled. My weakest areas are my calves and chest but I'm not too fussed about getting a massive chest because I run.

so your back and legs are bigger...the parts of mine which you've never seen :rolleyes:

i dont care if your a wannabe athlete.....im a bodybuilder.....my only objective is to mould the way i look

you sir have nothing to base that on....do you feel threatened by looking at a pic of me or something

so this was your lame reasoning to try and get out of upping a pic... 1/10 for effort

Okay... Well as I said earlier curlbro, it seems that getting built in the upper body is your only concern and you're just gonna talk down to everyone who doesn't walk around the nightclub with their arms out to the side wearing a t-shirt 10 sizes too small. You obsess too much about having a big chest and arms which is why you have an awesome one-pack and thighs the same size as your forearms.
    and i dont have a big chest.....and if you think my chest is big...you clearly have a tiny/non existent chest yourself.......my awesome one pack---ive actually nearly got a six pack right now...LOL....once again you aint seen the size of my legs...so your comments are just stupid......do u want me to have small legs or something so you can feel better about yourself? :facepalm2:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Zangoose what are your sprint times?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Cheers
    Read up on Starting Strength... Apply it... Success.

Bodyweight exercises dont translate for **** to weights. I can do many a push up (50/60 easy), but when i first benched, i could just about do 35kg... start from the bar on all lifts on starting strenght and you're good to go
Updated: August 2, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.