The Student Room Group

Do you floss every day?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Sazzy890
Once a day is still good :yep: If I lack time I will just make sure to do it at night because that's after I have had food during the day.

You should only floss once a day otherwise you might agitate the gums which can lead to further problems.
Reply 61
I don't floss at all, the idea of it makes me shudder, isn't it painful???? I brush and use mouthwash and I only have 2 fillings and am normally in and out the dentists in 5 mins with a checkup so I dunno if floss is even really necessary?
Reply 62
Original post by abc:)
I don't floss at all, the idea of it makes me shudder, isn't it painful???? I brush and use mouthwash and I only have 2 fillings and am normally in and out the dentists in 5 mins with a checkup so I dunno if floss is even really necessary?

Why would it be painful? Is it painful when you touch your gums? If not, then there shouldn't be a problem because all you are doing is gently rubbing along the teeth and gum to coerce remnants of food out.

The very fact that you have 2 fillings would suggest that something is, or was, wrong with your oral hygiene routine.

I spend:

5-7 minutes brushing my teeth
10 minutes flossing
3-6 minutes cleaning my tongue

Whenever I go to the dentist they always comment on how well I look after my teeth, which is an endorsement for my regime.
Hi,
Yes, you can prefer floss when required i.e., when you feel that small bits of food in your teeth. Not required daily.
Reply 64
mate i dont even brush them everday
Reply 65
Original post by Infallible
Why would it be painful? Is it painful when you touch your gums? If not, then there shouldn't be a problem because all you are doing is gently rubbing along the teeth and gum to coerce remnants of food out.

The very fact that you have 2 fillings would suggest that something is, or was, wrong with your oral hygiene routine.

I spend:

10 minutes flossing

Whenever I go to the dentist they always comment on how well I look after my teeth, which is an endorsement for my regime.

I'm sorry that is just mental... the dentist also tells me that my teeth are fine, and I spend no more than 7 minutes doing my teeth each morning and evening

I spend:

10 minutes flossing

:eek: Do you have OCD?

No it's not painful :smile: unless you have gingivitis then you'll agitate the gums. But if you've got a healthy mouth (which you seem to) then it's fine :smile:
Reply 67

do it carefully and no it isn't painful.
Reply 68
Original post by rac1
do it carefully and no it isn't painful.

Hm maybe not I spose if people actually do it every day it can't be that bad, it's just one of those things that gives me the creeps, like nails on a blackboard u know?
Reply 69
Hm maybe not I spose if people actually do it every day it can't be that bad, it's just one of those things that gives me the creeps, like nails on a blackboard u know?

try interdental brushes:smile:
Reply 70
Original post by Nightingale
Well well but plaque-induced gingivitis will build up - toothbrushes can't clean in between teeth like floss does.
Are you a dentist? Cause what I'm saying is backed up by one.
And I'm not 35 :s-smilie: that number was just me tryina say 'you'll lose your teeth earlier'

Speculation.

You're "backed up by" a dentist, yet you spout things like that?

:lol:.

You certainly will not lose your teeth if you do not floss, aslong as you brush your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes (an estimate for thoroughness) and have a reasonable diet (not one full of an excessive amount of sugar etc).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 71
I do it now and again but I hate the feeling I get afterwards which actually puts me off doing it.
Reply 72
7 days left for voting:smile:
Reply 73
Original post by Ayshizzle
:eek: Do you have OCD?

Erm, how would that be a sign of OCD? If I brushed my teeth several times (>2) a day, then you may have a point. As it is, I have a fairly ordinary oral regime.
Erm, how would that be a sign of OCD? If I brushed my teeth several times (>2) a day, then you may have a point. As it is, I have a fairly ordinary oral regime.

I personally wouldn't call it "ordinary", so you do all of that twice a day? Impressive.
Reply 75
Original post by Ayshizzle
I personally wouldn't call it "ordinary", so you do all of that twice a day? Impressive.

No. I brush my teeth and clean my tongue twice a day, but floss once.

There is no reason to floss in the morning.

Edit: It might not be 'ordinary', but that's because British people have terrible oral hygiene.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
The results were what I expected:biggrin: see those shiny white teeth:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest