Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does being in Civil Service prevent opportunities in private sector

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that working in the civil service will prevent opportunities in the private sector?

Namely if you started your career in the civil service and did a couple of years work there would you still be an attractive prospect to big private sector companies if you later wanted to change to the likes of the big banks or consultancies?

Cheers in advance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    :bump:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It would surely just depend on your experience. For example, if you were in the Department of Energy and Climate Change for a fair few years and had intimate knowledge of government regulations, potential future investments etc then you'd be an attractive proposition to energy companies.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they care that much tbh...people switch all the time, however, if you start off in the public sector, you're more likely to stay there. The benefits are great! In terms of pay, holiday leave, workload etc. that said, lower efficiency levels.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. One parent was a (high up) civil servant; left and joined private sector for a few years, and has subsequently rejoined the civil service again.

<3 x
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    No if you have a good job in the Civil Service its one of the better graduate schemes to be on and you get good experience so it will be valuable for many private sector schemes. You can also build good contacts and get experience in a particular sector - being involved with government tends to make you need an in depth knowledge of that sector, and you will work with private sector stakeholders as well so people can and do switch over.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoryshinesonus)
    I doubt they care that much tbh...people switch all the time, however, if you start off in the public sector, you're more likely to stay there. The benefits are great! In terms of pay, holiday leave, workload etc. that said, lower efficiency levels.

(Original post by TomDixie)
    It would surely just depend on your experience. For example, if you were in the Department of Energy and Climate Change for a fair few years and had intimate knowledge of government regulations, potential future investments etc then you'd be an attractive proposition to energy companies.

(Original post by LETSJaM)
    No. One parent was a (high up) civil servant; left and joined private sector for a few years, and has subsequently rejoined the civil service again.

<3 x

(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    No if you have a good job in the Civil Service its one of the better graduate schemes to be on and you get good experience so it will be valuable for many private sector schemes. You can also build good contacts and get experience in a particular sector - being involved with government tends to make you need an in depth knowledge of that sector, and you will work with private sector stakeholders as well so people can and do switch over.
    I appreciate the answers!

Cheers

It's good to hear that you are in agreement that working in the civil service does not prevent a later crossover. I was offered a graduate position with the civil service and I really think it will be enjoyable and that I'll learn a lot. At the same time I'd quite like to be able to change over in the future, one of my lecturers who works for a big consultancy really slammed the civil service and said you'd never be able to change and that worried me.

So it's good to know that his position on it is not in line with the general consensus.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ07)
    I appreciate the answers!

Cheers

It's good to hear that you are in agreement that working in the civil service does not prevent a later crossover. I was offered a graduate position with the civil service and I really think it will be enjoyable and that I'll learn a lot. At the same time I'd quite like to be able to change over in the future, one of my lecturers who works for a big consultancy really slammed the civil service and said you'd never be able to change and that worried me.

So it's good to know that his position on it is not in line with the general consensus.
    Clearly your lecturer is bitter about missed opportunities. :rolleyes:

<3 x
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LETSJaM)
    Clearly your lecturer is bitter about missed opportunities. :rolleyes:

<3 x
    I wonder if the lecturer knows how public and private sector view academics...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 7, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Public Sector Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.