The Student Room Group

I think Jessie J has a better singing voice than Adele.

Scroll to see replies

Does Jessie J have any character at all? Other than vacuousness, a stupid hair cut and being a popular little pop star?
Florence Welch (Florence + the Machine) beats them both, hands down :colonhash:
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
You're right I am not. I am doing a philosophy degree, not a music one, and playing guitar is the only thing I know a great deal about through actually playing it.

Thing is Adele and Jessie J sound absolutely horrible to listen to, shrill, screechy and just awful to my ears. High notes for the sake of it don't sound good. I would much rather listen to singers who can just sing, rather than force high notes for no reason. Listening to "even the spirits are afraid" by the gathering right now and there would be no need to sing an A5, it doesn't fit with the song.

To me Jessie J is almost unlistenable. Ok she might have a better technique (although I doubt it), but technique isn't everything, it has to be aesthetically pleasing too. If technique was everything we would only ever listen to classical music and some more technical progressive rock.

If you read the OP you'll realise that this thread about the things that each artist can do with their voice, not your personal opinion regarding what you like to listen to. So high notes and melismas are entirely relevant - more so than your personal taste.
Original post by lukas1051

Nah, Florence is shaky and often off-key. I absolutely love her vocal tone, I just wish she had more control over her voice.
Original post by takethyfacehence
Does Jessie J have any character at all? Other than vacuousness, a stupid hair cut and being a popular little pop star?

And this is relevant to a thread regarding the vocal abilities of each artist how?
Original post by Retrodiction
And this is relevant to a thread regarding the vocal abilities of each artist how?

:dontknow: I just wanted to express some dislike for her.
Florence Welch > Jessie J = Adele
They all have different voices but if you hear this you will agree :biggrin:

[video="youtube;_gMq3hRLDD0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gMq3hRLDD0[/video]
Jessie J was outsung at her own song by that girl from the X Factor, Adele is 10* better than Jessie J

[video="youtube;6dLt-9QFwJQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dLt-9QFwJQ[/video]
[video="youtube;60ROwaX0pcQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ROwaX0pcQ[/video]
Reply 48
Definitely Jessie J :smile: I think Adele is good but Jessie is more to my taste ^^:biggrin:
Reply 49
Adele is good, but shes overrated. I agree that jessie j is the better singer
Reply 50
Jessie J is lyrically vacuous, Adele projects vocal timbre with all the subtlety of a foghorn (Make You Feel My Love notwithstanding), and both could be said to hail from the 'nursery rhyme' or 'paint by numbers' school of composition/melodic delivery, so this is not a comparison that holds any meaning for me whatsoever.

Back to Fiona Apple/Regina Spektor/Aimee Mann, I guess.
Original post by ThatPerson
I don't know about that. Jessie J's music is very energetic and vibrant, but I get a raw, sober feeling from Adele's voice and that makes me prefer it. Having said that, I like both of them and enjoy both of their music.

I guess I'm sad like that :wink:
[video="youtube;NAc83CF8Ejk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAc83CF8Ejk[/video]

Aww, she's so adorable.
All Jessie does is make a serious of sounds, which may sound nice.
Adele fosters her emotions through ever single word that she enunciates.
This gives the song a meaning, in which the audience may be able to relate to.
Most would say, that is the sole purpose of creating a song, to project that certain 'feel'.
She establishes this, and therefore establishes a higher status than Jessie.
Original post by Shabalala
Jessie J was outsung at her own song by that girl from the X Factor, Adele is 10* better than Jessie J

[video="youtube;6dLt-9QFwJQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dLt-9QFwJQ[/video]
[video="youtube;60ROwaX0pcQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ROwaX0pcQ[/video]

Misha was freakin' awful singing Jessie J's song. Her note transitions sound make her sound like a 6 year old and she struggles to even reach the lowest notes in the 5th octave, whilst Jessie was effortlessly belting A5 notes in her performance and doing insane runs and melismas.
Original post by y.yousef
All Jessie does is make a serious of sounds, which may sound nice.
Adele fosters her emotions through ever single word that she enunciates.
This gives the song a meaning, in which the audience may be able to relate to.
Most would say, that is the sole purpose of creating a song, to project that certain 'feel'.
She establishes this, and therefore establishes a higher status than Jessie.

Adele only comes out on top here if the listener values emotive expression over technically astonishing vocal performances.
Adele only comes out on top here if the listener values emotive expression over technically astonishing vocal performances.

No.
Because in Jessie J's emotional songs, it is not as heart felt as Adele's.
I prefer Adele's voice so much. Jessie J is a fantastic song writer because she too writes from experience - "Who's Laughing Now" is a prime example - but she has a style that will only really appeal to one particular group of people because of its style, and I also think it's the sort that, in a few years time, we might look back on and think "Did we really think that was amazing?", in the similar way some people do for Steps, S Club 7, Atomic Kitten etc these days - I honestly think that the songs Adele writes and her voice has something timeless about it, where the style won't feel dated or anything.
Misha was freakin' awful singing Jessie J's song. Her note transitions sound make her sound like a 6 year old and she struggles to even reach the lowest notes in the 5th octave, whilst Jessie was effortlessly belting A5 notes in her performance and doing insane runs and melismas.

FINALLY! Everyone said that Misha outsang Jessie J completely in that and I couldn't disagree more with them, Misha made it sound awful and Jessie J is so much better at it. She does have insane vocal talent and I couldn't believe people actually thought Misha was better, when Misha's performances throughout were quite frankly underwhelming.
Original post by lukas1051

Did you see her at the Brits? Dreadful and pitchy.
Reply 59
Both are vocally talented no question about that. But I do think Jessie J has more of a range and can do tricks with her voice which is pretty cool.
If this was a question about which is a better artist so song choices are considered...then I think they are both equal.

Quick Reply

Latest