The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

i haven't firmed UCL yet but will do in the next few days. Just a quick question about accommodation, are the closest halls to the Uni catered only? and how far away is the self catered accommodation? and the en suite accommodation?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Is the food at the intercollegiate halls nice? I've read online that it can be inedible at times, is the food really that bad?
Reply 6282
Original post by sensei_mooni
i haven't firmed UCL yet but will do in the next few days. Just a quick question about accommodation, are the closest halls to the Uni catered only? and how far away is the self catered accommodation? and the en suite accommodation?

There is at least 1 self-catered hall on Gower Street (the same street as UCL, basically), I don't remember the name now but I'm sure you can find more on UCL Accommodation pages.

Original post by freerun
How is it like to live in a twin room? Will your partner come from the same department? Is there a way one can choose with whom to live?

When the application form was a paper one, you had an option of naming anyone you'd like to live with and they said they would do their best to cater to your preferences (obviously, provided the other person gets the same hall, i.e. ticks similar boxes to yours on the form). I think they try to put you in a room with someone studying a similar degree, preferably from a similar background (UK with UK, international with international etc). I ended up with a girl from Singapore (being from EU myself) and it was pretty nice - we didn't really hang out together but we got on quite well, and she always kept her half of the room clean :smile: That said, I know a couple of guys who found it very difficult to cope with their roommates, one of them even decided to move out as the other was snoring :smile: Then comes the issue of having your friends stay over, coming back late and drunk etc. I never had problems with either of those, my roomate was extremely tolerant :wink:
Original post by sensei_mooni

It's very varied. Both catered and self catered range from 2 minutes to half an hour away, and en suite is a pretty random mix too though the majority of en-suite halls are 20+ minutes away. The UCL accommodation site literally has all the information you need.
Hey guys :smile: So basically I'm considering putting UCL as my insurance! And I was just looking through the website about accommodation. I definitely want to go for a self-catered ensuite, and I'd looked at the following houses:

Prankerd
Frances Gardner
Goldsmid

If anyone lives here, or knows anything about them, I'd love to know what you think :smile:
Original post by Catherine.
Hey guys :smile: So basically I'm considering putting UCL as my insurance! And I was just looking through the website about accommodation. I definitely want to go for a self-catered ensuite, and I'd looked at the following houses:

Prankerd
Frances Gardner
Goldsmid

If anyone lives here, or knows anything about them, I'd love to know what you think :smile:

It really doesn't matter which you like the best, as you cannot choose; it's done randomly. You can try and fix your accommodation application, by saying your main priority is an en-suite, for example, and that it has to be within close proximity of the university buildings if the building you prefer is, but even then it is not guaranteed. Just look through peoples comments on other threads; people have been given things completely opposite what they wanted. You just have to hope for the best.
Reply 6286
At my interview for medicine I had to give them a passport photo so does that mean I don't have to attach one on the online application form for accommodation? X
Reply 6287
I'm in Commonwealth if anyone has any questions about that or Inter-col halls.
Reply 6288
Original post by cl_steele
hi basically i applied for accommodation about ... 3 weeks ago now and i was wondering if anyone knows when roughly i can expect to hear back?
thank you :smile:

sorry.. this is going to sound so thick of me.. but .. HOW ON EARTH DO YOU APPLY? i went on the link they gave on the offer letter but where do i go from there? where is my student number?

id really appreciate any help :smile:
Original post by zakiman

Is it clean and does it have edible food?
Reply 6290
Original post by Purehakkai
Is it clean and does it have edible food?

Yes it's very clean thanks to an army of Spanish ladies.
The food is on the whole nice. The chef's a nice guy and always wants feedback.
Original post by kirino1
sorry.. this is going to sound so thick of me.. but .. HOW ON EARTH DO YOU APPLY? i went on the link they gave on the offer letter but where do i go from there? where is my student number?

id really appreciate any help :smile:

basically on the letter they gave you theres a student number itll be on the top right i believe then you go to the ucl accomodation website application page and itll tell you to log in with your ucl adress, you dont have this yet so youll have to sign up for one and use your current email adress [middle option] and itll direct you from there :smile:
heres the link:
https://residences.ucl.ac.uk/StarRezPortal/Default.aspx?Params=L9ezxPcQnQsDuaBX%2bLFbaS7g8dqK9e0T

what course have you got an offer for ? :smile:
Reply 6292
Original post by zakiman

Is Commonwealth a sociable residence? Also, is it quite annoying not even having a sink in the room? X
Reply 6293
Just a heads up to any Malaysian students coming/interested in coming into UCL for the year 2012/2013:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1966417&p=37052736#post37052736

Also, for anyone curious about Connaught Hall, you can ask me about it. We have our Warden on TSR as well:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=28961

This is the Connaught Hall website:
http://www.connaught-hall.org.uk/

And this is Connaught Hall's Flickr account for anyone curious about how rooms are like and photos of past events:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/connaughthall/

For standard questions about Connaught Hall:

1) Rooms: I'm in a single room. Its rather small but comfortable enough. I happened to have gotten the older rooms. Apparently some of my hallmates got rooms which were newly refurbished. Either ways, rooms are comfy and you get your own sink. You also get ample of drawers and shelves, don't you worry.

2) Bathrooms: We have one female and one male bathrooms on each floor. There are 3 cubicles of bath/toilets in each. They are cleaned pretty much everyday except for the weekends so they are very clean. But do expect occasional unpleasantries (ie, drunk puke, flooding due to clogged drains, and people who can't aim). Even so, just report them to the front desk and the handyman always gets them sorted out pronto. And the repairmen are all very very friendly people too! So are the cleaners. :smile:

3) Food: Connaught Hall is catered for breakfast and dinner (brunch on weekends). This is a student hall, so don't expect an amazing 5-star course or anything like that. I am not picky and so far, I have been relatively fine with the food served. There were times they looked dodgy and of small portions (and you will see people lining up for seconds after) but also times when food was exceedingly good. In fact, after a hall survey was conducted a month back, things have been getting even better now.

4) Hall facilities:we have our own bar. There is a small library(don't expect full collections of books though. Its more a study area than a library in that sense, I suppose). We also have 2 common rooms in the basement (with tv, pingpong table etc). The lobby has ample of sofas to chill on.

5) Location: Connaught Hall is nearest to UCL campus (so UCL students should take note). In fact, the Hall is less than a minute walk away from the UCL Law Faculty (lazy law students, your pick!). LSE is about 20-30 minutes walk away.

Anything else? :smile:
Original post by kirino1
thanks so much! i managed to sign up but in the 'contact details' section, my 'parent/guardian/next of kin' bit is blank... shall i email them to fix it or leave it?
My course is L101 econ with a year abroad.. i have got a lot of neggs for mentioning it lol, so i usually dont bother.
and yourself?

couldnt hurt to email them but i dont think it matters to much :smile:
a very nice, who knows i may run into you next year [grades permitting :P] v101 history :smile:
yeh people on this site seem to hand out neg rep like its bloody candy on halloween :fuhrer:
Reply 6295
Original post by calumsteele1
couldnt hurt to email them but i dont think it matters to much :smile:
a very nice, who knows i may run into you next year [grades permitting :P] v101 history :smile:
yeh people on this site seem to hand out neg rep like its bloody candy on halloween :fuhrer:

wicked!! (ill + you for that :P)
WHat grades are they asking for? mine is A*AA =/ ..
where are you hoping to get for accomodation?
Original post by kirino1
wicked!! (ill + you for that :P)
WHat grades are they asking for? mine is A*AA =/ ..
where are you hoping to get for accomodation?

personally i like arthur tattersall hall [at least i think that was it] simply because its 2 minutes from my faculty :P what about you?
mines ABB :colone: i was rather happy about that :P
why thank you, favour returned :smile:
Reply 6297
personally i like arthur tattersall hall [at least i think that was it] simply because its 2 minutes from my faculty :P what about you?
mines ABB :colone: i was rather happy about that :P
why thank you, favour returned :smile:

i really dont mind.. as long as its clean, social and not too far from the dept. :smile:
My gut instincts wanted frances gardener.. but from what i have read.. maybe ramsay is more my thing.
where abouts are you from?
Original post by kirino1
i really dont mind.. as long as its clean, social and not too far from the dept. :smile:
My gut instincts wanted frances gardener.. but from what i have read.. maybe ramsay is more my thing.
where abouts are you from?

aye i'll agree with that so longs i dont have to have a 30minute bus ride to lectures im happy, i just like the idea of getting out of bed 2minutes before lectures running across the road and youre there :tongue: ... ah god im lazy :rolleyes:
its a shame you cant put preferences down anymore and just get given what youre given :/

im from up near oxford :smile: what about you?
Reply 6299
aye i'll agree with that so longs i dont have to have a 30minute bus ride to lectures im happy, i just like the idea of getting out of bed 2minutes before lectures running across the road and youre there :tongue: ... ah god im lazy :rolleyes:
its a shame you cant put preferences down anymore and just get given what youre given :/

im from up near oxford :smile: what about you?

west london, near heathrow airport (as everyone knows it)
Im only 40mins by tube from UCL.. but id rather live out than at home..

Latest

Trending

Trending