The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: THAT's my Fave, Because of THIS!

In this food-and-drink-lovin' thread, we explore our TSR favourites, and the reasons behind them, in the only way befitting of our patented Foodie Love (TM) - a game!! Yes, I know there are many games based around food and drink, but you can never have enough games.

Game. Games. Ga... DAMN. I JUST LOST THE GAME.

So how to play? Simply post the question,

WHAT'S YOUR FAVE AND WHY, OF.... ......? - and the next person answers, and posts their OWN category for another to answer! EASY PEASY JAPANESEY, CHEESY PEASY, BUMBLE-BEESY!

Get it? Got it? GOOD!

So let me start.

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE IN THE CATEGORY OF CADBURYS SHARING BAGS, AND WHY?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Man, I would've thought Melissa/Dani would swoop in to pioneer this one... maybe they DON'T love Cadbury all that much. (taunt)
Reply 2
Original post by TotoMimo
Game. Games. Ga... DAMN. I JUST LOST THE GAME.

Damn...now I feel obliged to comment so my loss was not in vain.

Caramel Nibbles, because they're so caramely and nibbley. I can make my way through a bag in minutes.

Favourite flavour of crisps?
Reply 3
Steak flavoured McCoys. They are much more flavoursome and filling than any other crisp imo

Favourite pizza topping?
Reply 4
I tend to opt for seafood like anchovies/tuna/prawns etc in most things, but up against filling dough and strong marinara/tomato and cheese of a pizza, my favourite topping is Tandoori Chicken Spicy (Chicken tikka, jalapenos, spicy sauce, onions).

Why? Because I LOVE SPICY, and the robust, delicious flavours are enough to stand up to the cheesiness! Moreover when you get a pocket of delish chicken and jalapeno it's like FLAVOUR BURST.

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE CHIP SHOP OPTION, AND WHY?
Reply 5
Battered sausage and chips (salt and vinegared of course!)
Why? Because it reminds me of childhood and despite the post 'Im so full I could explode/did I just eat a plate of grease?!' it's always so good!

Best crisp alternative and why?
Original post by dani_1991
Battered sausage and chips (salt and vinegared of course!)
Why? Because it reminds me of childhood and despite the post 'Im so full I could explode/did I just eat a plate of grease?!' it's always so good!

Best crisp alternative and why?

By crisp alternative I'm going to assume you mean a savoury snack that isn't a crisp. If that is the case, I'm going to go for pretzels. Why? Because of the sheer diversity. You can have salty ones, peppery ones, ones dipped in chocolate. GIANT ONES.

What's your favourite individually sold Ice Cream? (ben & jerry and other pots not included)
Reply 7
Crisp alternative? You mean, alternative to eating a bag of crisps? That could be anything!! Vague Vague William Hague!! :P

If we're talking about a bag of something munchable that's not traditional potato crisps... my favourite would be:

MEAT JERKY/BILTONG.

Why? Well, it's low calorie, low fat, super-tasty, lasts for FAR LONGER than a bag of crisps... the only downside is high salt, but if you were having crisps ANYWAY....

EDIT: NINJA POWER BY MELISSA. Individually sold? You mean like Mini/Individual pots of ice cream? My favourite, then, would be a small tub of MACKIES TRADITIONAL. It's so rich and decadent that it beats out Haagen Dazs, Ben and Jerrys, Carte D'or Minis etc by a COUNTRY MILE.

It's also cheaper... AND SCOTTISH!!

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE AND WHY, OF... POT NOODLES?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
My favourite Pot Noodle is:

I consider this the original and finest Pot Noodle from which all off-shoots are based on. I do like the curry flavour and chicken/mushroom, but the fried chicken flavour is horrible and not too fond of the sweet and sour one either. B/T is the KING of PotNoodleium.

FAVOURITE MCCOYS FLAVOUR AND WHY?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Fusion
My favourite Pot Noodle is:

I consider this the original and finest Pot Noodle from which all off-shoots are based on. I do like the curry flavour and chicken/mushroom, but the fried chicken flavour is horrible and not too fond of the sweet and sour one either. B/T is the KING of PotNoodleium.

FAVOURITE MCCOYS FLAVOUR AND WHY?

Cheddar and onion. I like the fact that they stink. LET MY MCCOY EATING WAYS OFFEND YOU. With such a big mean beeeefy crisp, it's go hard or go home.

Favourite chocolate in Thorntons premium collection?
Reply 10

The premium collection is the truffle-heavy one, right? In that case, my favourite is the AMARETTO TRUFFLE.

My favourite because the alcoholic flavours aren't too strong, but add a lovely additional flavour to the really super-creamy interior truffle, then there's those EPIC CRUNCHY BITS that give the perfect sweet POW! When you think this is going to be typical liqueur territory!

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE AND WHY, OF A COOKED BREAKFAST COMPONENTS?
Original post by TotoMimo

The premium collection is the truffle-heavy one, right? In that case, my favourite is the AMARETTO TRUFFLE.

My favourite because the alcoholic flavours aren't too strong, but add a lovely additional flavour to the really super-creamy interior truffle, then there's those EPIC CRUNCHY BITS that give the perfect sweet POW! When you think this is going to be typical liqueur territory!

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE AND WHY, OF A COOKED BREAKFAST COMPONENTS?

I had that one today. Good selection. It was delicious. And the thick outer layer of the truffle melted so slowly and the crunchy bits weren't at all offensive or disruptive to the melt. And I don't like Amaretto!

My favourite bit of a cooked breakfast is the mushrooms. I love their strong earthy flavour, and often people don't rate them so I'm like..I'LL HAVE YOUR MUSHROOMS. Protein rich too. :wink:

Favourite of FAST FOOD CHAINS and why
Reply 12
Hash Browns. ADORE THEM. Maybe it's because I never cook them at home so I only eat them when I have breakfast in a cafe/McD's which isn't too often so all the more reason for them to be my favourite component. mmmmmmmmmmm sooo delicious.

Favourite cup a soup brand and flavour?
Reply 13
I'll answer both seeing as Melissa NINJA'D you, Fuse.

She's getting a bit mean with her ninja powers as of late. Either that or we're all just getting a bit old.

I was going to say my favourite Fast Food Chain was WIMPY, but it's more a sit-down restaurant.

As such my favourite Fast Food CHAIN restaurant is probably YO! Sushi due to the sheer variety offered.

I can go there every week and not get a duplicate item for the next six months. Moreover it's incredibly healthy depending on what I get; with enough soup, sashimi, veg and sushi dishes to fill me up for less calories than I'd consume eating a single McDonalds Big Mac.

My favourite CUP A SOUP BRAND/FLAVOUR is UNDOUBTEDLY Knorr Super Chicken Noodle Soup sachets.

It reminds me of when I was young and it was like MAGIC when I was ill; the flavour has since diminished due to new salt regulations but it still remains the tastiest sachet soup by MILES.

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE AND WHY, OF SOFT COOKIES?
Reply 14
White chocolate = yum
Soft cookies = yum

Therefore warm white chocolate soft cookies are my favourite.

Favourite Dr Oekter pizza and why?
Casa di Mama pepperoni, because it's the only frozen pizza I can find with jalapenos. Nyom

Favourite ready meal and why?
Original post by gingerrama
Casa di Mama pepperoni, because it's the only frozen pizza I can find with jalapenos. Nyom

Favourite ready meal and why?

The closest I get to ready meals is teh Asda curry takeaway ones which you just stick in the microwave and even then not the biggest fan.

Favourite sweet (candy) option that isn't chocolate?
MAOAM. Maoam's are amazing. At my work, we regularly do a Poundland run where we stock up on diet coke, multipacks of crisps and some kind of chocolate/sweet. The other day my colleague came back with a huge bag of Maoam sours... It was like I was a child all over again. So fruity and yummy, and so underrated. They taste much nicer than Starbursts and Chewitts, which are really artifical tasting to me. The bag lasted about half an hour between the 3 of us in the office. Yum.

Favourite breakfast cereal and why?
That's a tough one. My favourite breakfast cereal, porridge not included, is probably Cheerios. I know they seem a plain choice but they've actually some variety in the grains that I can taste and enjoy. They don't go soggy as quickly as flakes or krispies. And they don't feel as unhealthy or sugar laden as many other lovely tasting options like frosted shreddies and sugar puffs.

Favourite cereal bar?
Harvest Chewee! I eat cereal bars all the time and I've never found one as nice as Chewees. Nutri Grains are too sugary. Alpen Bars taste really artificial. Special K bars are hard as bricks. Tesco own brand chocolate & orange are quite nice but nothing beats the deliciousness of a Harvest Chewee. Especially the white chocolate ones (which is weird because I'm not a huge fan of white chocolate). They're soft, chewy and sweet but not too sweet. They don't taste like they've been raped with sugar, they're really low calorie (I think about 90 kcals) and they're low in sugar (perfect for me as a diabetic). Plus they're really cheap as well (9 bars for a quid!).

Favourite BirdsEye product and why?

Quick Reply