The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College London 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olive12
If they haven't made a decision on your application yet, how have you firmly accepted them?...

But I would remain optimistic too if I were you. :smile: If they were going to reject you based on your grades they would have done it immediately so it's probably likely that they are still considering your application!

Hi Olivia12,

I should explain. In my country, A Levels can only be done in either private colleges or International schools which follow the British curriculum. The private colleges in turn offer an augmented A Levels, in other words, instead of two years, we complete our A Levels in one and a half years. We either join in January or July intakes, and finish one and a half years later. I started in July 2010, and the college I enrolled in operates under the Edexcel board. Thus, I applied for Law at 5 UK universities (Bristol, King's, Nottingham, Southampton and Surrey) around October last year, and I got conditional offers from all 5 universities on the basis of my forecasted results (AAAB). By January 2012, I had firmly accepted King's and Bristol as an insurance choice. But due to my absurd combination of results (seriously, A*BB?), naturally neither Bristol nor King's (especially King's) could directly confirm my seat.

Hence the limbo thing. :smile: but thanks so much for the optimism. :smile: And sorry for the long essay. XD I had to explain, otherwise it wouldn't make sense.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 1401
Original post by AnonCoconut
Hi Olivia12,

I should explain. In my country, A Levels can only be done in either private colleges or International schools which follow the British curriculum. The private colleges in turn offer an augmented A Levels, in other words, instead of two years, we complete our A Levels in one and a half years. We either join in January or July intakes, and finish one and a half years later. I started in July 2010, and the college I enrolled in operates under the Edexcel board. Thus, I applied for Law at 5 UK universities (Bristol, King's, Nottingham, Southampton and Surrey) around October last year, and I got conditional offers from all 5 universities on the basis of my forecasted results (AAAB). By January 2012, I had firmly accepted King's and Bristol as an insurance choice. But due to my absurd combination of results (seriously, A*BB?), naturally neither Bristol nor King's (especially King's) could directly confirm my seat.

Hence the limbo thing. :smile: but thanks so much for the optimism. :smile: And sorry for the long essay. XD I had to explain, otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

Aah I see! That makes sense now haha :smile:

Well, I really hope it works out for you. I reckon you've still got a chance * fingers crossed *
Original post by Olive12
Aah I see! That makes sense now haha :smile:

Well, I really hope it works out for you. I reckon you've still got a chance * fingers crossed *

Thank you so much! What about you? :smile:
Reply 1403
Thank you so much! What about you? :smile:

Well, I have my offer and I made it my firm choice a few days ago so I just have to get the grades now! (A*AAA) :s-smilie:
Hi everyone,

I work for King's College London and we have an Official Rep profile on TSR so if you have any questions about King's, our programmes and life in London in general, just drop us a line and we'll try and answer your questions as quickly as possible! We also ran an open week forum a few weeks back where we answered a lot of questions, the answers some of you might find useful, so check it out if you get time: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1936656

Finally, if you have an offer to study with us you might be interested in joining our King's College London Freshers page on Facebook. Its a joint group between King's and King's College London Student Union (KCLSU) and over the coming months we'll be posting info about what you need to do to get ready for the start of term and what will be happening during Fresher's week. Its also another way of introducing yourself to other people who have an offer at King's and start getting to know everyone before you start term! http://www.facebook.com/kingscollegelondonfreshers

So, have a great Easter break and look forward to catching up with you all soon! :smile:

Fran from King's College London
Original post by Olive12
Well, I have my offer and I made it my firm choice a few days ago so I just have to get the grades now! (A*AAA) :s-smilie:

Yikes... That's steep. But I reckon they have faith in you to get that, must've been why they want those grades. :smile: Have you firmed for Law as well?

And by the way.... I'm sure if you've firmed Law, then you've sat for your LNAT already, do you mind telling me what's considered a good LNAT score? I got 25, but I'm not sure if that's good or not...This is kind of the first time I'm directly dealing with anything British, hence all these questions. X)
(edited 12 years ago)
I received an offer from King's 2 days ago and was absolutely over the moon as it was my first choice but today I received another email to say I was unsuccessful! Has anyone heard of this happening before?
**** King's.
Original post by Midnight Jasmine
I received an offer from King's 2 days ago and was absolutely over the moon as it was my first choice but today I received another email to say I was unsuccessful! Has anyone heard of this happening before?

Have you tried to email them? oO I don't understand. Whichever mail is the "true one", this kind of things shouldn't happen, it's absurd and appalling. I know making a mistake is human, but gosh..
Original post by Stéphane
Have you tried to email them? oO I don't understand. Whichever mail is the "true one", this kind of things shouldn't happen, it's absurd and appalling. I know making a mistake is human, but gosh..

They sent me the rejection email just as they closed up for the Easter break so I have to wait until next tuesday until I can speak to them. There was no explaination or apology. I am just so disappointed and humiliated as I have been celebrating with my friends and family and now I may have to tell them that King's just made a mistake :-(
Reply 1410
Yikes... That's steep. But I reckon they have faith in you to get that, must've been why they want those grades. :smile: Have you firmed for Law as well?

And by the way.... I'm sure if you've firmed Law, then you've sat for your LNAT already, do you mind telling me what's considered a good LNAT score? I got 25, but I'm not sure if that's good or not...This is kind of the first time I'm directly dealing with anything British, hence all these questions. X)

Yes, I have firmed for Law :smile: I got 29 in the LNAT and considering the average this year was 18 (I think) 25 is very good! It definitely wasn't an easy test. I remember reading somewhere that King's have a cut-off of around 18 too.

ah, where are you from? :smile:

Was one of the emails sent directly from an admissions officer and the other from the system?
Original post by ScholarsInk
Was one of the emails sent directly from an admissions officer and the other from the system?

The first message had an attached offer letter which said 'the interviewers were extremely impressed with your performance at interview and ranked you among the top 10 applicants. We would therefore be very keen for you to accept this offer'. The second message just seemed to be a standard rejection message which said I didn't meet the academic entrance requirements (which I do).
Original post by Olive12
Yes, I have firmed for Law :smile: I got 29 in the LNAT and considering the average this year was 18 (I think) 25 is very good! It definitely wasn't an easy test. I remember reading somewhere that King's have a cut-off of around 18 too.

ah, where are you from? :smile:

Oh, that's reassuring, I guess. XD Me, I'm from Malaysia, I'm a Malaysian Indian. :smile:
Reply 1414
Has anyone applied through UCAS Extra? Any idea how long it will take to receive a decision?
The first message had an attached offer letter which said 'the interviewers were extremely impressed with your performance at interview and ranked you among the top 10 applicants. We would therefore be very keen for you to accept this offer'. The second message just seemed to be a standard rejection message which said I didn't meet the academic entrance requirements (which I do).

In that case, I would venture to guess that the latter was just an error in the system. We'll see after Easter but you'll be alright. :smile:
Original post by yp2
Hi! I've been stalking this page for a while now.. I got an offer for Politics of the International Economy yesterday (initially applied for International Politics) and I was wondering which course I should choose:

1) Politics of the International Economy
- new course (they say its high caliber but is it? :biggrin:)
- core Economics rather than politics / provides me with a chance to study MSc Econ/
- KCL isn't that good in Economics?
2) International Politics (can i actually ask them to give me a place back for international politics?)
- focus on politics

I also received an offer from Warwick for PAIS (Politics and International Studies) and i really don't know which uni is better in terms of reputation (overall and of the politics department) and which degree will help my career prospects more?

Exactly the same happened to me! I met the actual KCL admissions officer and said there wasn't much room to change. They had about 1400 applicants for 80 spaces, and those that didn't make it into IP initially but didn't totally want to reject, or had an interest in Economics, were shifted onto the Politics of the International Economy course. Also, he said the IP course was actually meant to be of entry requirements AAA, but they'd lowered it as they expected that the number of applicants would decrease after the 9k tuition fees rise.

Personally, I'm more swayed towards Warwick for PAIS since I wasn't keen on KCL's lack of experience in Economics (or no experience at all), and the course would heavily be made up of 'rejects' of the IP course.

Oh & if you actually really like the IP course at KCL, PAIS at warwick is almost identical!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MsNerdy
Hey is anyone going to the Kings live event at Tutus?

I probably shall :smile:
Original post by usernamevoid
JUst firmed PIE!

Congrats :smile:! Is that what you initially had applied for?
Original post by eatpraylove
Exactly the same happened to me! I met the actual KCL admissions officer and said there wasn't much room to change. They had about 1400 applicants for 80 spaces, and those that didn't make it into IP initially but didn't totally want to reject, or had an interest in Economics, were shifted onto the Politics of the International Economy course. Also, he said the IP course was actually meant to be of entry requirements AAA, but they'd lowered it as they expected that the number of applicants would decrease after the 9k tuition fees rise.

Personally, I'm more swayed towards Warwick for PAIS since I wasn't keen on KCL's lack of experience in Economics (or no experience at all), and the course would heavily be made up of 'rejects' of the IP course.

Oh & if you actually really like the IP course at KCL, PAIS at warwick is almost identical!

I don't think the rejects would be all that bad, given the numbers! Not sure what you mean by the lack of experience.

Quick Reply

Latest