The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath accommodation thread 2012-2013. Poll included (woodland added)!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dannyk
If you're EU then you get the tuition fees loan, and possibly loan/grant, depending on how long you've lived here.

If you're outside of the EU I don't think you can get anything - even tuition fees are much more expensive aren't they? Not really fair I know...

yep our tuition fees are much much more expensive, but thankfully it doesn't really affect me cos i'm being sponsored :smile:

i was asking about the maintenance loan and grant cos i think some of my friends might need it. but thanks anyway :wink:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by dannyk
The system worked well in 1950. Unfortunately, things have moved on from then but the system remains the same - and you're right, the whole licensing thing is basically unenforceable - they can't even come into your house to check if you're watching TV if you don't let them.

It's an honesty thing really - though you get the added benefit of not being sent threatening letters every week if you do pay it!

I think I'll just put up with the letters :tongue:

I take it you've applied for accommodation then?
Original post by dannyk
The system worked well in 1950. Unfortunately, things have moved on from then but the system remains the same - and you're right, the whole licensing thing is basically unenforceable - they can't even come into your house to check if you're watching TV if you don't let them.

It's an honesty thing really - though you get the added benefit of not being sent threatening letters every week if you do pay it!

Funnily enough though, we brits are very honest and the vast majority of us pay for it that's why there has not been a major push to intorduce a new system of licensing.

The same goes for voting, we are one of the few countries where people don't have to produce ID to vote, simply because no one seems to cheat the system when voting (they know through auditing).
Reply 163
Original post by Contrad!ction.
I think I'll just put up with the letters :tongue:

I take it you've applied for accommodation then?

Yep - gone for Norwood. I'm not bothered about having en suite and I liked the position and the common room and the fact the rooms are a bit bigger.

Just one last word on the TV thing - if you are actually using a TV to watch TV then the uni might be able to enforce the licence rule more effectively, though I don't know if they bother.
Reply 164
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Funnily enough though, we brits are very honest and the vast majority of us pay for it that's why there has not been a major push to intorduce a new system of licensing.

The same goes for voting, we are one of the few countries where people don't have to produce ID to vote, simply because no one seems to cheat the system when voting (they know through auditing).

LOL..yea I totally agree... my cousin brother who is living in the U.k since 20 years now .... cant lie even if his life depended on it!!! :tongue: He justs admits the truth no matter how blunt it is!!! :smile:
Original post by dannyk
Yep - gone for Norwood. I'm not bothered about having en suite and I liked the position and the common room and the fact the rooms are a bit bigger.

Just one last word on the TV thing - if you are actually using a TV to watch TV then the uni might be able to enforce the licence rule more effectively, though I don't know if they bother.

I applied for Marl/Sols, although I won't be too disappointed if I don't get it. Norwood does look pretty nice though (and the chairs are a nice colour :tongue:)

Nah, I'm not even taking a TV.
Reply 166
Original post by dannyk
If you're EU then you get the tuition fees loan, and possibly loan/grant, depending on how long you've lived here.

If you're outside of the EU I don't think you can get anything - even tuition fees are much more expensive aren't they? Not really fair I know...

Exactly :mad:!!! I have to pay more than double of the EU students fees!!! :unimpressed:

Although my dad had a pretty good explanation for it!!! Here it goes.... since the EU economy has gone down the drain since the past few years they are using their expertise(in this case good uni's) to extract money from other countries, while financing their own students to pay for uni so that they do not go to some other country and that money is lost!!! Phew thats a lot of typing!! :smile:

Note: My dad and I personally have nothing against EU so we just pay up anyways!!! :biggrin:
Reply 167
Original post by dannyk

HAHAH!!! :toofunny: the more u give me info on the TV situation the more I get confused.... I really am laughing my ass off to glory right now!!! :rofl:
hey guys was just wondering, are the letting periods the same for all accommodations?
it says on the website that for First year undergraduates, the contract dates are from 22/09/12 - 15/06/13. it also says in the pfd file that letting period is not the same as the academic session dates.
so that means it includes winder, easter and summer breaks?

also, is there wi-fi surround campus? is it really slow?
Reply 169
Original post by yzarcemina
yep our tuition fees are much much more expensive, but thankfully it doesn't really affect me cos i'm being sponsored :smile:

i was asking about the maintenance loan and grant cos i think some of my friends might need it. but thanks anyway :wink:

BTW who is sponsoring u ??? is it a local scholarship or something??? :smile:
Reply 170
Original post by Nikstar95
Exactly :mad:!!! I have to pay more than double of the EU students fees!!! :unimpressed:

Although my dad had a pretty good explanation for it!!! Here it goes.... since the EU economy has gone down the drain since the past few years they are using their expertise(in this case good uni's) to extract money from other countries, while financing their own students to pay for uni so that they do not go to some other country and that money is lost!!! Phew thats a lot of typing!! :smile:

Note: My dad and I personally have nothing against EU so we just pay up anyways!!! :biggrin:

It's because the government paid a lot of the cost for UK students (though less now with the increased fees). They wouldn't pay for international students (pretty much the same in most countries).

However, the EU changed things, as the whole of the EU became a single market - therefore services offered to UK residents must be offered to all EU residents. So the government have to subsidise all EU students - but still don't pay for international students.
Reply 171
hey guys was just wondering, are the letting periods the same for all accommodations?
it says on the website that for First year undergraduates, the contract dates are from 22/09/12 - 15/06/13. it also says in the pfd file that letting period is not the same as the academic session dates.

I'm pretty sure(95%) that its a 38 week let accommodation!!! All are the same let periods!! (pretty sure) !!! :biggrin:

Although I have no idea were the extra week(39th week) has disappeared!!! :frown:

About the wifi part I have the same question????? :smile:
Original post by dannyk
It's because the government paid a lot of the cost for UK students (though less now with the increased fees). They wouldn't pay for international students (pretty much the same in most countries).

haha well according to what i know, my country charges all students no matter local or international alike :smile: just saying :smile:

still its understandable to charge outsiders more :smile:
Reply 173
Original post by dannyk

However, the EU changed things, as the whole of the EU became a single market - therefore services offered to UK residents must be offered to all EU residents. So the government have to subsidise all EU students - but still don't pay for international students.

OHHHH!!! Thankz!!!! :biggrin:

The contract is 38 weeks long which means it includes winter, easter breaks. It doesn't include the summer break. Once the academic year is up you have to move out. However there may be exceptions for international student. But don't worry too much you can speak to the universtiy and sort something out. Also you'll have to find private housing for your second year anyway, which means you'll need to find a house or flat to rent with other students, so I'm sure you could work something out with them as well. :smile:

Everyone has access to wifi in accommodation and probably throughout the uni campus.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Nikstar95
BTW who is sponsoring u ??? is it a local scholarship or something??? :smile:

haha its a very prominent organisation in my country :smile: so yes its local :smile:

i'm pretty sure they don't fund international students if that's what you're wondering, you have to be a citizen from here hee :biggrin:

i know i'm lucky, and i'm very grateful
Reply 176
haha well according to what i know, my country charges all students no matter local or international alike :smile: just saying :smile:

still its understandable to charge outsiders more :smile:

Just out of interest, where are you coming from?
Original post by dannyk
Just out of interest, where are you coming from?

i'm hailing from malaysia :smile:

oh great now you're making me nervous about my facts :s-smilie: lol
Reply 178
When should those of us holding unconditional offers expect to receive accommodation offers?
Reply 179
Original post by stifa
When should those of us holding unconditional offers expect to receive accommodation offers?

Before the others !!! :teehee: :colone: :colone: :colone: !!!!

:lolz: We can expect them before august!!!! :biggrin:

Even I got an unconditional offer for BBA... wat did u get it for???:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest