The Student Room Group

clubbing

I'm nearly 19 and I've never been out on a night out, in town.

I have no ID, but I supposedly look older than I am for my age.

do most clubs ask for ID?
how much money should I take for a night out?
is anyone from leeds, or has anyone been out in leeds, who knows good, but fairly cheap clubs?

thanks.

:cool:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most clubs (90%) will ask for ID.

Money depends on how much you plan to drink / where your going to go. I would suggest £40-£50.
Reply 2
You'd be lucky to have a night out and not get asked for ID once.

Clubs tend to be cheaper on certain nights, so try and find out which ones are cheaper the night you're going. You may get away with £30 if you spend it wisely and don't buy other people drinks.
Most clubs and bars will ID you.

As for how much money to take, it depends on how wasted you want to get before going out. Plus you might want to factor in taxi fares and cash for getting a kebab / takeaway when you leave the club. Also, look out for student nights, where the drinks and entry costs are discounted.
Reply 4
I don't have any ID, no. lol. i've not needed it before, my dad's either got alcohol for me, or for piercings/tattoos ive looked old enough to get away without needing it. considering applying for my provisional licence.
I'd say 99% of places ask you for ID even if you look older than your age, so its best to bring some with you.

As for money, it depends where you're going. When I'm at uni I usually only bring about £20-25 out maximum because the drinks and taxis are so cheap, and that'll usually get me a burger when I get out the club :smile: And I'll usually have some change at the end of the night! But when I'm at home in a non-uni town I take about £35 out because the drinks and taxis are more expensive, and I usually spend every penny.
everywhere in leeds will ask for ID even if you look 25+; surely you've got a passport? Also on the club front; it depends on what music you like and what days you can go out on, I normally take around £50-60 just to be safe
Original post by EmmaLouise93

is anyone from leeds, or has anyone been out in leeds, who knows good, but fairly cheap clubs?

thanks.

most clubs will check for ID unless you clearly look above the age limit, although being a girl they dont tend to care as much :rolleyes:
£20 usually does me if im just out for a bit of fun but £40 if youre going all out :biggrin: although i live i nthe south so its more expensive to drink down here compared to up north where ive heard its cheaper?
Some pubs also like to throw you for a loop and ask to see IDs once you're already sat down with a drink. Don't be 'that guy(girl)' who makes everyone leave because you don't have ID and thought you'd get away with it :no:
Almost every club will ask for ID.
Reply 10

thanks.

You can easily do a night on £10-15 if you pre-drink a ton and only buy 1 drink in the club.
Do you have any ID with a date of birth and picture on it- student card? It will help as you're a girl BUT they are perfectly entitled to ask for a passport/driver's license only so you would not want to be counting on it whatsoever. Worth a shot but still largely doomed to failure. Get a passport, they last for years and years and they are good for travelling, ID, and they are needed when you get a job. Not exactly something you would regret spending money on. Clubs will ID a lot more than pubs, and I'm not sure about the UK but in Ireland all the best clubs are 21+ anyway so they will absolutely ID.

Money depends on how much you drink, transport, whether the club has an admission fee, and if you like to eat junk food afterwards. In and around £40 should do it.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm well over 19 and people ask my ID in Tesco. :s-smilie:

So you better take it, you don't want to look bad in front of your friends. :biggrin::tongue:
Original post by ilovelabradors
I'm well over 19 and people ask my ID in Tesco. :s-smilie:

Tesco have a Think 25 policy. You do know the store gets totally ****ed over if they sell to someone underage? Fines etc. loss of license temporarily. In some chains of supermarkets, the person who sold it is sacked immediately, it is written into the contracts. I can't speak for Tesco but I think it is because they're so strict. So that's why they don't care if they offend you. Really not worth the consequences.
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Tesco have a Think 25 policy. You do know the store gets totally ****ed over if they sell to someone underage? Fines etc. loss of license temporarily. In some chains of supermarkets, the person who sold it is sacked immediately, it is written into the contracts. I can't speak for Tesco but I think it is because they're so strict. So that's why they don't care if they offend you. Really not worth the consequences.

Offend me? :biggrin:

No... :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Never been to a club and NOT got ID'd... Most bars I've been to have ID's me too.

Don't know about Leeds but most cities have student nights which often tend to be cheaper than normal nights.
I don't have any ID, no. lol. i've not needed it before, my dad's either got alcohol for me, or for piercings/tattoos ive looked old enough to get away without needing it. considering applying for my provisional licence.

you'll definitely get ID'd, you would most likely get away with it if you were just going to a pub, but i've never not been asked for ID in a club. a lot of them not only ask you at the door, but also at the bar. also, you can't get a provisional license without a passport.
Couldn't tell you about needing ID tbh, nobody ever IDed me in my life for getting into a club - not even when I was underage, but then again I suppose 10-12 years ago things were a bit slacker. And now I'm 28 so obviously nobody IDs me.

As for Leeds - depends what sort of music you're into. Fuel (used to be called Sar - I can't get used to it being called Fuel) at Leeds Met Uni on a Friday night is okay, but that's rock/metal/indie.
Reply 18
I got a provisional, just to use as ID. Easier to carry around than a passport, and not as big of a deal if you lose it...
Reply 19

thanks.

The rules of most clubs is they will ask for ID if you look under 25 unless the bouncer knows who you are. I can tell you that most clubs are rather anal about this. Every now and then I do get asked for ID as many bouncers as a whole can't properly judge how old a person is especially in the dark.

How much to take out? A rule of thumb is if the club charges an admission fee then the drinks inside would be cheaper than those which are free to enter.... but 30-50 quid should be a fairly good night out. Don't forget to budget on how you will be returning home, whether it is a taxi etc.

Quick Reply

Latest