The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

How Imperial groups people for accommodation

As above. More specifically, I am rather curious to know how they would allocate International students. Being International myself and firming Imperial, I would very much like to integrate with the locals (for a wholesome experience away from my home country!). I think it would be more difficult if say Imperial groups international students into the same halls :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hoppingbeans
As above. More specifically, I am rather curious to know how they would allocate International students. Being International myself and firming Imperial, I would very much like to integrate with the locals (for a wholesome experience away from my home country!). I think it would be more difficult if say Imperial groups international students into the same halls :colondollar:

They base it on where you apply to and the price range you apply for. In terms of allocating room mates, they base it on what time you go to bed and any other information you give on your application form. I was originally allocated a room with international students (I'm a home student), and in general it's quite mixed. I have no doubt you'll end up with a mix of people. They don't purposefully group all of the internationals together.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Zottula
T.

Are all the halls self catered? So, do the students have to manage their own breakfast , lunch and dinner? What do the UG students typically eat for breakfast and lunch - assuming they wont have time to prepare breakfast and lunch. Is a canteen available within the college for lunch?

How about insurance (health, etc) ? Should the students complete the insurance formalities on their own or is it covered by the Uni?

UCL offers catered accommodation and they call it hall of residence and self catered ones are called Student houses in UCL. is there a similar facility in Imperial also?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by new123
Are all the halls self catered? So, do the students have to manage their own breakfast , lunch and dinner? What do the UG students typically eat for breakfast and lunch - assuming they wont have time to prepare breakfast and lunch. Is a canteen available within the college for lunch?

All halls are self catered - for all meals. http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/eatinganddrinking see this for a selection of places. They're usually open up till 5, and apart from a few exceptions, weekdays only.
There's a selection of different places within college for lunch - you're also very close to a lot of halls of residences and places to go for food (eg. Gloucester Rd).
I found myself getting used to cooking and now really enjoying being independent and feeding myself. I even got into a habit of actually eating breakfast to wake up and sustain myself through morning lectures. To each their own, lol.
Reply 4
Original post by new123

How about insurance (health, etc) ? Should the students complete the insurance formalities on their own or is it covered by the Uni?

UCL offers catered accommodation and they call it hall of residence and self catered ones are called Student houses in UCL. is there a similar facility in Imperial also?

They are all self catered. Yes you can get food at uni for lunch. I just make my own breakfast, lunch and dinner though. People eat different things so I can't really say what people typically eat.
Reply 5
Original post by new123

As the above two posters said, all Imperial Halls of Residence are self-catered.
UG students can (and do) eat whatever they want, even if it's not considered breakfast by 'normal' people.
There are a lot of food outlets within, and around Imperial, so lunch is always sorted.

The only insurance that Imperial will contribute to, is that of your possessions insurance during your first year, whilst you are living within their Halls of Residence. Everything else insurance-wise needs to be sorted out by yourself.
I am a 'loud and outgoing dance music fan, a particular fan of the accompanying drug scene as well as an excessive drinker. I regularly return home at 4am and am usually not alone..' At least that is what I'm putting on my accomodation form..... A shared room would ruin my life.

Fingers crossed.
Reply 7
Original post by summer_blazed
I am a 'loud and outgoing dance music fan, a particular fan of the accompanying drug scene as well as an excessive drinker. I regularly return home at 4am and am usually not alone..' At least that is what I'm putting on my accomodation form..... A shared room would ruin my life.

Fingers crossed.

Yeah you can put all that if you want. If all your choices are single rooms, and you state that room type is more important to you than price, then you can be hopeful.

But if you do end up in shared room, it's really not that bad. I promise.
Original post by Zottula
Yeah you can put all that if you want. If all your choices are single rooms, and you state that room type is more important to you than price, then you can be hopeful.

But if you do end up in shared room, it's really not that bad. I promise.

If I end up in a shared room, then I'm moving in with a friend from out of uni. It's more for the sake of the poor person who will be sharing with me.
Reply 9
Original post by summer_blazed
If I end up in a shared room, then I'm moving in with a friend from out of uni. It's more for the sake of the poor person who will be sharing with me.

If you have a back-up plan then I guess that's good.
Reply 10
Original post by Cyco
As the above two posters said, all Imperial Halls of Residence are self-catered.
UG students can (and do) eat whatever they want, even if it's not considered breakfast by 'normal' people.
There are a lot of food outlets within, and around Imperial, so lunch is always sorted.

The only insurance that Imperial will contribute to, is that of your possessions insurance during your first year, whilst you are living within their Halls of Residence. Everything else insurance-wise needs to be sorted out by yourself.

What about health insurance in the first year?

UG students can (and do) eat whatever they want, even if it's not considered breakfast by 'normal' people. - Do you mind elaborating this please.
Reply 11
Original post by new123
What about health insurance in the first year?

UG students can (and do) eat whatever they want, even if it's not considered breakfast by 'normal' people. - Do you mind elaborating this please.

Health insurance isn't a big thing among students considering the existence of the NHS, so there are no college plans for health insurance.

What I meant to say, is that the diet of a student is rarely a 'balanced' one.
Reply 12
Original post by Cyco
Health insurance isn't a big thing among students considering the existence of the NHS, so there are no college plans for health insurance.

What I meant to say, is that the diet of a student is rarely a 'balanced' one.

Thanks. How difficult is it for someone who does not know/like to cook on his/her own to survive without cooking (and depending on outside food) in Imperial or UCL?
Reply 13
Original post by new123
Thanks. How difficult is it for someone who does not know/like to cook on his/her own to survive without cooking (and depending on outside food) in Imperial or UCL?

not difficult at all, but expect to pay more
Reply 14
Original post by freefrag
not difficult at all, but expect to pay more

Thanks. So is dinner freely available in the vicinity? Also is food available over the week ends?

(yes assuming one is ok about paying more)
Reply 15
Original post by new123
Thanks. So is dinner freely available in the vicinity? Also is food available over the week ends?

(yes assuming one is ok about paying more)

Monday to Friday you can get a decent dinner at college, on weekends there's a lot of restaurants open.
Honestly I wouldn't worry about food that much, once you arrive at university you'll either start cooking (it's really easy and enjoyable) or you'll find people that cook for you :biggrin:
Reply 16
:biggrin:

thanks. How about accommodation in the second/third years. is it a big issue to finalize a suitable accommodation as the college does not provide accommodation?
Reply 17
Original post by new123
thanks. How about accommodation in the second/third years. is it a big issue to finalize a suitable accommodation as the college does not provide accommodation?

Finding private accommodation can be a bit stressful, as there are lots of things to weigh-up, such as price, quality, etc. Don't worry about it though, as there's lots of support whilst you're at college.
Reply 18
Original post by new123

I'm not too sure. I will be a hall senior next year, so I don't have to look for accommodation just yet.

However I think it shouldn't be too hard to find accommodation. Most of the people I know get together in groups of around 4 to 5 people and rent a house.
Reply 19
I'm not too sure. I will be a hall senior next year, so I don't have to look for accommodation just yet.

However I think it shouldn't be too hard to find accommodation. Most of the people I know get together in groups of around 4 to 5 people and rent a house.

What is meant by a hall senior? How does one get elected for being one?

Quick Reply

Latest