The Student Room Group

Do I have to take driving lessons for my provisional license tests?

Scroll to see replies

Theory is computer based.
Practical you are assessed by another experienced driver working for the DSA.
You need a provisional licence to do both tests.
Original post by Ice_Queen
Your driving examiner will be expecting not to need them at all :p:

Oh of course :p: But the instructor who took me for a lesson said they may be a bit nervous to begin with, as the dual controls aren't there were they to need them. They don't know that I've never driven in a car with dual controls and I've never needed the intervention of someone else (:
Reply 22
Original post by v2p
I've been wondering something similar too, which may be of benefit to OP if I ask it in this thread here.

Is there like a rule/law/requirement for you to take X number of 'proper' driving lessons with an instructor, before you can take your practical? Like do you need to have on paper that you've taken a certain number of lessons?

Or can you take your practical without having any 'proper' lessons with a qualified instructor?

My Instructor told me that there is a new legislation coming in where people will have to have 40 hours with a qualified driving instructor before being allowed to take their test! Apparently it won't be for a while, though.
Reply 23
Original post by emily27x
My Instructor told me that there is a new legislation coming in where people will have to have 40 hours with a qualified driving instructor before being allowed to take their test! Apparently it won't be for a while, though.

Some EU states already have this sort of thing so it would not surprise me if there was EU legislation in the future to force all states to adhere to one set of learner rules
Reply 24
Original post by hamza7
Well basically I can already drive and I've been driving for like four years in my home country
Loosely translated, this means you've relied on your luck and avoided a crash for four years (or have you?). This doesn't mean you meet UK standards. Let's face it, even a lot of UK residents don't quite meet the UK standard, but still believe they can drive - until they fail a driving test.

Every day, people - especially those born abroad - turn up for driving tests thinking they can drive, until reality strikes and they go home disappointed. To fully grasp risk avoidance on our roads, you should take lessons from an approved driving instructor. Click here to find one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending