The Student Room Group

2013 Veterinary reapplicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beccac94
I booked 3 days in a LA vets and another week in a dairy farm just in case but I'm sort of regretting not booking more but I went to our groomers and they said that they would let me do a few weeks.

I'm probably most short of farm work and Large animal vets as where I live has barely no large animals and last year i had to go half way across the country to stay with my aunty to go to a mixed practise and didn't really see that much large animal. Luckily I'm in contact with this woman who's just finished lambing but obviously shes going to have a LA vets and know an abattoir so if I keep emailing her then I might get stuff, also my mums friends friend is a sheep farmer in the lake district and said he might have a word with him about doing lambing and staying with him for a few days, the only problem is it might be in may round exam time :frown:

Sorry we have two conversations on the go at the same time here! :smile: That's great though at least you got some sorted! I managed to get a place at a vet lab and my local country park/public farm which i'm really looking forward too!

Same really! I applied last year with no farm work experience whatsoever yet it seems silly because i live in North Wales so have many places around just I never had time due to me booking other places first! Where abouts do you live? Can't believe you had to travel so far for a placement! This is why i think it's unfair that Liverpool just look for work experience! It seems like your definitely on the right track though finding placements!

Where will you be applying this year? :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by jordanelouise
Thank you! I'll email them sometime this week! Do you have to quote your UCAS number and that? or just a simple email just asking for feedback?

Liverpool said to quote your UCAA number but I'm not sure about Bristol I just sent it because it saves me emailing them again.

Sorry we have two conversations on the go at the same time here! :smile: That's great though at least you got some sorted! I managed to get a place at a vet lab and my local country park/public farm which i'm really looking forward too!

Same really! I applied last year with no farm work experience whatsoever yet it seems silly because i live in North Wales so have many places around just I never had time due to me booking other places first! Where abouts do you live? Can't believe you had to travel so far for a placement! This is why i think it's unfair that Liverpool just look for work experience! It seems like your definitely on the right track though finding placements!

Where will you be applying this year? :smile:

I live in Liverpool so theres not that many large animals there and leahurst never ever replies to me when I ask for work experience there but tbh its quite a treck from where I live to get there.

I know I think its really unfair I think they should take into account where you live and what your parents do, if your parents do something animaly then of course its going to be easier to get in. Did you get an interview anywhere this year??
I'll probably be applying to Liverpool, Nottingham and Bristol again but i'm not sure for my forth choice I might apply to RVC this time but not sure yet. You???
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42

I know I think its really unfair I think they should take into account where you live and what your parents do, if your parents do something animaly then of course its going to be easier to get in.

Absolutely this! I live in the countryside so that's not an issue [but it is for loads of people!] for me, but definitely echo the parents thing. As supportive as mine are, they have absolutely no idea. Surely people who live on a farm, parents are vets/animaly, have had horses all their lives e.t.c. have more opportunities due to their contacts. This probably isn't always the case, but still it may be for many.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by BeHappy
Absolutely this! I live in the countryside so that's not an issue [but it is for loads of people!] for me, but definitely echo the parents thing. As supportive as mine are, they have absolutely no idea. Surely people who live on a farm, parents are vets/animaly, have had horses all their lives e.t.c. have more opportunities due to their contacts. This probably isn't always the case, but still it may be for many.

to be honest most of my work experience i got due to contacts my dad knows, so your not wrong there, but i did organise it all myself, but you need to ask around your family and friends too, cus my aunty, a sister in a hospital so nothing animal related, is going to give me contact info for a riding for the disabled place, and our acountant gave me my last pig placement info (but that placement was awfull, only did 2 days thank god!)
But you are right, as my lambing, stables, dairy, AI and PD placements were all due to living on a farm and knowing the people, and i would also say that even my vets placement now is partly because they saw me out on the farm too.
but my kennels was through my karate teacher, and the canine hydrotherapy was because we took one of our dogs there a few years back.

i would say that you are in an even better situation for getting work ex if your parents are vets than if you live on a farm though, as you will have access to a vet practice, as well as potentially have access to other vets, and 1 very long client list full of loyal clients...
sorry for the essay:tongue:
Reply 44
Original post by sheepzibaa
to be honest most of my work experience i got due to contacts my dad knows, so your not wrong there, but i did organise it all myself, but you need to ask around your family and friends too, cus my aunty, a sister in a hospital so nothing animal related, is going to give me contact info for a riding for the disabled place, and our acountant gave me my last pig placement info (but that placement was awfull, only did 2 days thank god!)
But you are right, as my lambing, stables, dairy, AI and PD placements were all due to living on a farm and knowing the people, and i would also say that even my vets placement now is partly because they saw me out on the farm too.
but my kennels was through my karate teacher, and the canine hydrotherapy was because we took one of our dogs there a few years back.

i would say that you are in an even better situation for getting work ex if your parents are vets than if you live on a farm though, as you will have access to a vet practice, as well as potentially have access to other vets, and 1 very long client list full of loyal clients...
sorry for the essay:tongue:

Yes, vetty parents would be like the ultimate best! Imagine the help they could give you for interview practice and learning all sorts of vetty things!
Of course as vetty parents you probably have the contacts you may have as a farmer and loads more. And I suppose with vet parents people might not be quite so impressed, and perhaps expect you to go in the profession so you probably wouldn't feel like you've achieved as much! Don't get me wrong though, they probably still have to work as hard as the rest of us.
Hoping I haven't offended anyone now! :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by BeHappy
Yes, vetty parents would be like the ultimate best! Imagine the help they could give you for interview practice and learning all sorts of vetty things!
Of course as vetty parents you probably have the contacts you may have as a farmer and loads more. And I suppose with vet parents people might not be quite so impressed, and perhaps expect you to go in the profession so you probably wouldn't feel like you've achieved as much! Don't get me wrong though, they probably still have to work as hard as the rest of us.
Hoping I haven't offended anyone now! :smile:

I know someone whos dad is a vet and owns his own practice and does something with liverpool uni and had loads and loads of work experience because of this and got 3 interview but even they didn't get an offer this year so maybe they don't perform well in interviews. I think its right about people not being impressed with them going into the profession because everyone I know goes "they only want to be a vet because they're dad is"
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
I know someone whos dad is a vet and owns his own practice and does something with liverpool uni and had loads and loads of work experience because of this and got 3 interview but even they didn't get an offer this year so maybe they don't perform well in interviews. I think its right about people not being impressed with them going into the profession because everyone I know goes "they only want to be a vet because they're dad is"

Maybe on paper they look great, but at an interview perhaps they didn't appear to have the motivation and passion that perhaps you would get with striving to find all your own work experience.
Obviously that isn't always the case, and I'm just digging myself into a hole now!
Reply 47
Original post by sheepzibaa

I agree with this I might have a lambing placement through my mums friend and they work in offices and I got my large animal vets through staying with my Aunty. Just asking around sometimes helps, one of my friends is has got into RVc this year and is giving me all the numbers to his work experience places :biggrin: I posted something on facebook to get a few of my placements.
Reply 48
Is anyone applying to student finance just in case? or is everyone just not bothering?
Is anyone applying to student finance just in case? or is everyone just not bothering?

I registered with them but you cant apply without a uni offer can you ?????
Reply 50
Original post by amethyst<3
I registered with them but you cant apply without a uni offer can you ?????

I don't know :/ we haven't been told much about it in college they just went you have to apply to it, I might ask next week.
I don't know :/ we haven't been told much about it in college they just went you have to apply to it, I might ask next week.

Did you ask about appling to student finance ?????????
Reply 52
Original post by amethyst<3
Did you ask about appling to student finance ?????????

I completely forgot I'll have to ask on Friday, I'm too busy to ask tomorrow and I have form on Friday :biggrin:
Reply 53
Just got an email from a vets that I can't even remember contacting as I've wrote to some many places ahh well :P

Whats everyone got planned for their gap year so far??
Just got an email from a vets that I can't even remember contacting as I've wrote to some many places ahh well :P

Whats everyone got planned for their gap year so far??

So far I have a week at a vet lab and a week at my local public farm! Ive sent a load of letters off on Saturday to hopefully get me some placements later this year! I've also got a job working at my local kennels through summer! So hopefully I'll be kept busy! What about you? :smile:
Reply 55
So far I have a week at a vet lab and a week at my local public farm! Ive sent a load of letters off on Saturday to hopefully get me some placements later this year! I've also got a job working at my local kennels through summer! So hopefully I'll be kept busy! What about you? :smile:

I've got 2 days at a vets every week (even though I didn't really like the vets I thought it was better than nothing) 3 days at a mixed practice and am going to phone them later on in the week to see if I can go in september some time. Another week in a dairy farm but will probably be able to go there again. My old boss has just took over the kennels so he said I would be able to do work experience again in the cattery and also in the kennel which shall be fun. should have 3 months in chester zoo and have 2 weeks in knowsley safair park :smile:

I've tried phoning the dog groomers we take our dogs to but the owner was on holiday so I'll have to phone again and I'm trying to get a lab or something at the moment. I want to go abroad as well just for the experience but its so expensive and I definatly won't be able to afford it :'(

(I had a feeling I ws going to have to take a gap year so started booking work experience early)
(edited 11 years ago)
I've got 2 days at a vets every week (even though I didn't really like the vets I thought it was better than nothing) 3 days at a mixed practice and am going to phone them later on in the week to see if I can go in september some time. Another week in a dairy farm but will probably be able to go there again. My old boss has just took over the kennels so he said I would be able to do work experience again in the cattery and also in the kennel which shall be fun. should have 3 months in chester zoo and have 2 weeks in knowsley safair park :smile:

I've tried phoning the dog groomers we take our dogs to but the owner was on holiday so I'll have to phone again and I'm trying to get a lab or something at the moment. I want to go abroad as well just for the experience but its so expensive and I definatly won't be able to afford it :'(

(I had a feeling I ws going to have to take a gap year so started booking work experience early)

Just realised we have two conversations on the go again :P
It sounds like you have so much planned and so much to look forward too! Especially the safari park and zoo! When did you apply for Chester zoo? I never bothered contacting them for work experience after i heard there was a big waiting list!
I know it is so expensive but I've started to save up to do something abroad next year even work abroad or something just so i've made the most of my year i think!
I did the same! I booked the lab and farm in September just in case! I hope I can get loads more experience though by the time I apply, especially for Liverpool!
Reply 57
Just realised we have two conversations on the go again :P
It sounds like you have so much planned and so much to look forward too! Especially the safari park and zoo! When did you apply for Chester zoo? I never bothered contacting them for work experience after i heard there was a big waiting list!
I know it is so expensive but I've started to save up to do something abroad next year even work abroad or something just so i've made the most of my year i think!
I did the same! I booked the lab and farm in September just in case! I hope I can get loads more experience though by the time I apply, especially for Liverpool!

Hahaha we always do that :P

I first contacted Chester zoo about 2ish months ago but the only had places for after October which was fine for me.

I was hoping that if I do well in my exams then make parents could give me money or something or put some money together with my nana and I could go to Africa or something but I'll probably end up getting some converse or something
Reply 58
Hi guys! Sorry to hear you were all rejected too :frown:

Bristol finally got back to me so now I am officially joining you all here!
I have landed myself a full time job in a lab which I hope will be able to count towards my experience. I did some lambing in February too which I didn't have before. So I am currently in the world of work, scary! But already planning my next application and getting ready.

I'm also going to be resitting Chemistry from September...erg.

Good luck all and don't forget to enjoy your gap year too :wink:
Reply 59
Original post by Eevee13
Hi guys! Sorry to hear you were all rejected too :frown:

Bristol finally got back to me so now I am officially joining you all here!
I have landed myself a full time job in a lab which I hope will be able to count towards my experience. I did some lambing in February too which I didn't have before. So I am currently in the world of work, scary! But already planning my next application and getting ready.

I'm also going to be resitting Chemistry from September...erg.

Good luck all and don't forget to enjoy your gap year too :wink:

Sorry to hear about that :frown:

I highly advise getting feedback from them I got mine when I got rejected after interview and it was AMAZING :P

Oh cool is it a vet lab?

Quick Reply

Latest