The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by magenta1
i was at the glasgow and edinburgh post offer days/applicant evening so i might have seen you? Oh geez i didnt even hear about that lol might not have been listening :smile: nah but i heard that in glasgow you'll get to know everyone on your course maybe thats what they meant? Why? do they do that in Ed? I honestly think im gonna firm glasgow but did you see that room in glasgow when we got that talk? it was historic yes but there literally was no room for you to put your notepad down on! Tbh i didnt really like that at all as they are in the russell group and that so it should be comfy for the students. Are you scottish student?

Yeah I'm a Scottish student and I probably would have saw you. That is probably what they meant tbh, what put me off also was when they said that with my degree (Accountancy with Languages) I would only be able to do one language and I really wanted to do two. I loved Glasgow though, the building was incredible! Although I do agree that the room where we had the talk in was quite cramped and a tad uncomfortable! I firmed Edinburgh because I found the course content much more interesting (I presume you got the pack of information at the talk in Edinburgh) and I preferred the way they took the lectures, particularly the accounting one. What attracts you to Glasgow? :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by RobertoStenhausen
Yeah I'm a Scottish student and I probably would have saw you. That is probably what they meant tbh, what put me off also was when they said that with my degree (Accountancy with Languages) I would only be able to do one language and I really wanted to do two. I loved Glasgow though, the building was incredible! Although I do agree that the room where we had the talk in was quite cramped and a tad uncomfortable! I firmed Edinburgh because I found the course content much more interesting (I presume you got the pack of information at the talk in Edinburgh) and I preferred the way they took the lectures, particularly the accounting one. What attracts you to Glasgow? :smile:

What did you get in your Highers btw? Yeah i like glasgow the city and the building :smile: Yeah Ed was really nice and I think Ed are more organised with the course as I sent Gla an email asking about course content and she only gave me the content in the first 2 years whereas in Ed theyd planned the whole 4 years already! Yeah i got yellow folder in Gla and info pack at Ed. How do Ed take lectures? Whats the difference between Ed and Gla in terms of teaching as i didnt really hear about that? Glasgow, the city, the people ( they were really friendly and due to personal experience the people are nice in Ed too but i felt they were still less friendly) and Im more familiar with Glasgow :biggrin: Other than the course what do you like about Ed? See, i didnt want to spend more (Ed's bit more expensive) if i could get a perfectly good education at Gla so was really unsure but i think I'm gonna go Glasgow :biggrin: btw i know someone else from tsr going to do AccFin at Edinburgh :smile: just thought id tell you :biggrin:
What did you get in your Highers btw? Yeah i like glasgow the city and the building :smile: Yeah Ed was really nice and I think Ed are more organised with the course as I sent Gla an email asking about course content and she only gave me the content in the first 2 years whereas in Ed theyd planned the whole 4 years already! Yeah i got yellow folder in Gla and info pack at Ed. How do Ed take lectures? Whats the difference between Ed and Gla in terms of teaching as i didnt really hear about that? Glasgow, the city, the people ( they were really friendly and due to personal experience the people are nice in Ed too but i felt they were still less friendly) and Im more familiar with Glasgow :biggrin: Other than the course what do you like about Ed? See, i didnt want to spend more (Ed's bit more expensive) if i could get a perfectly good education at Gla so was really unsure but i think I'm gonna go Glasgow :biggrin: btw i know someone else from tsr going to do AccFin at Edinburgh :smile: just thought id tell you :biggrin:

I got 3A's and 2B's what about you? What I mean is that I liked the miniature lectures they gave at the Edinburgh post-app day whereas with Glasgow they were quite vague. I just loved the feel of Edinburgh and it was somewhere that I could really see myself studying at. That said, if I could have taken the building and people from Glasgow and mixed it with the course structure at Edinburgh I would of had my ideal uni! Yeah I already know him, we did a programme called Kickstart at Edinburgh last summer and he was in my business class haha!
Reply 2983
hey, I was trying to find such a topic in the forum but couldn't make it ;( so I will ask here-
I received the unconditional offer to MSc TESOL and they asked for a deposit in order to secure my place. I did the transfer by the uni's system and I got the order confirmation from epay website but no info for ex on EUCLID that I actually secured my place :frown: I wrote to the finance office but they told me to contact the admissions office of the Moray house, which I did but have been constantly ignored :biggrin:
Is there anyone who had a similar situation and could tell me if I should wait for an official confirmation or I could easily start drinking to celebrate this happy moment of feeling already a new student? :smile:
I got 3A's and 2B's what about you? What I mean is that I liked the miniature lectures they gave at the Edinburgh post-app day whereas with Glasgow they were quite vague. I just loved the feel of Edinburgh and it was somewhere that I could really see myself studying at. That said, if I could have taken the building and people from Glasgow and mixed it with the course structure at Edinburgh I would of had my ideal uni! Yeah I already know him, we did a programme called Kickstart at Edinburgh last summer and he was in my business class haha!

Same! Yeah i must say i liked that too and you got a feeling of how good the lecturers were going to be but at glasgow i didnt even know who the lecturers were! Do you know i was saying to someone exactly that! Mixing the two unis then get the perfect uni :smile: And lol at least you'll know someone on your course! See, at glasgow i thought the club 21 was really good as that guy got an internship in his second year whereas im in contact with someone in her 2nd year at Edinburgh studying accfin and she says basically internships are what societies are for (obv they have careers service) but i like in glasgow they have like a centralised base for internships :smile: What you get your grades in and what you studying this year? :biggrin:
Which halls are people thinking of staying in? I'm hoping to get into one of the iQ halls if I firm Edinburgh :smile:
Reply 2986
Original post by twinlensreflex
Which halls are people thinking of staying in? I'm hoping to get into one of the iQ halls if I firm Edinburgh :smile:

iQ halls?
I put down College Wynd, Fraser and Hermit's Croft.
I'll see what I get.
But I want self-catered for sure. you?
Same! Yeah i must say i liked that too and you got a feeling of how good the lecturers were going to be but at glasgow i didnt even know who the lecturers were! Do you know i was saying to someone exactly that! Mixing the two unis then get the perfect uni :smile: And lol at least you'll know someone on your course! See, at glasgow i thought the club 21 was really good as that guy got an internship in his second year whereas im in contact with someone in her 2nd year at Edinburgh studying accfin and she says basically internships are what societies are for (obv they have careers service) but i like in glasgow they have like a centralised base for internships :smile: What you get your grades in and what you studying this year? :biggrin:

Yeah, that's a really useful thing, I'll just have to do my best to secure internships at Edinburgh haha!
Erm I got:
Higher Maths - B
Higher English - B
Higher Business Management - A
Higher French - A
Higher Spanish -A

This year I'm studying Advanced Higher Maths, Higher Accounting and Higher Administration :smile:

What about you? :smile:
Original post by MiriamG
iQ halls?
I put down College Wynd, Fraser and Hermit's Croft.
I'll see what I get.
But I want self-catered for sure. you?

Mmhm, I'm opting for private halls, closer to ECA which is where I've applied :smile: And I'm guaranteed my own bathroom, i really don't fancy sharing :tongue:
Original post by MiriamG
:confused: really? scared? seriously, it's not that far!, one island over! :s-smilie: and if you don't like it, you could probably transfer to Ireland later -.- no really, what there;s to be scared of...

By the way... do Irish universities acknowledge applications in any way? I applied to TCD through CAO in January and I haven't heard anything whatsoever.
This is my face everytime I think about that application: :confused:

Hello!
I don't know if you've gotten an answer on the CAO question already but in case you haven't I thought I'd see if I could help. Basically its very different from UCAS. The confirmation of places happens a couple of days after the leaving certificate results come out, which is on August 15th and you're not usually contacted by the university before then.
Because they don't look at predicted grades or anything like that you just get a place once you meet the grade requirements. So if after your exams you have the grades they are looking for you can assume that you've gotten the place, unless the points jump that year because of demand, which usually doesn't happen that often especially not in arts courses. I'm speaking from the perspective of an Irish student though, so maybe there is a slightly different system for non-Irish applicants.
Yeah, that's a really useful thing, I'll just have to do my best to secure internships at Edinburgh haha!
Erm I got:
Higher Maths - B
Higher English - B
Higher French - A
Higher Spanish -A

This year I'm studying Advanced Higher Maths, Higher Accounting and Higher Administration :smile:

Yeah but you get better reputation lol! I got:
Higher Maths - A
Higher English - B
Higher Biology - A
Higher Chemistry - B

This year doing Advanced maths and biology and crashing Higher admin so we're doing 2 of the same subjects lol :smile: Our school is so crap we dont even have accounting and when i asked my bus mgmt teacher to start an accounting class (she's qualified to teach it) then she said to me i'll need to find enough people to start a class so yeah our school is crap! How you finding Adv maths? Have you done admin before as im crashing it and ive never done practical before and i know i'll fail the practical as i cant work a computer to save myself! What were you prelim results for maths and admin? Btw yass second friend request got two in two days, im on a roll :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah but you get better reputation lol! I got:
Higher Maths - A
Higher English - B
Higher Biology - A
Higher Chemistry - B

This year doing Advanced maths and biology and crashing Higher admin so we're doing 2 of the same subjects lol :smile: Our school is so crap we dont even have accounting and when i asked my bus mgmt teacher to start an accounting class (she's qualified to teach it) then she said to me i'll need to find enough people to start a class so yeah our school is crap! How you finding Adv maths? Have you done admin before as im crashing it and ive never done practical before and i know i'll fail the practical as i cant work a computer to save myself! What were you prelim results for maths and admin? Btw yass second friend request got two in two days, im on a roll :biggrin:

I'm finding maths okay actually, better than I thought. Stuggling with the no formula sheet though! I'm crashing admin too, my practical is okay but it's my theory that's my strongest part. I think it's because I've done business management. I got a B in my maths and admin which I was very pleased with. Aw haha! You're becoming popular!

To anyone who got the e-mail about hearing by the 10th april I phoned up the department which I have applied for, and the man I was talking to informed me that some decisions were made last week, and that they are going to send out another e-mail to those people who they are still holding back. For those who are still waiting to hear back from Edinburgh you will all receive an e-mail tomorrow (Tuesday 10th April). I have no idea what that e-mail is going to say though. He also said that it is likely that I'd hear next week as the admissions tutor for my course is not in office this week. He's saying that they're still holding back some people to see if they have places available, as some will have declined their offers.

So there's still hope.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi, I got my conditional offer to Edinburgh Uni and I got the Euclid email telling me to send them a copy of my exam results to confirm, could anybody tell me how to attach a photo of my results? I can only see the tick box for attaching and nothing happens and I can't copy in the picture. Any clues of how to do this?
Thanks
Original post by riversandroads93
To anyone who got the e-mail about hearing by the 10th april I phoned up the department which I have applied for, and the man I was talking to informed me that some decisions were made last week, and that they are going to send out another e-mail to those people who they are still holding back. For those who are still waiting to hear back from Edinburgh you will all receive an e-mail tomorrow (Tuesday 10th April). I have no idea what that e-mail is going to say though. He also said that it is likely that I'd hear next week as the admissions tutor for my course is not in office this week. He's saying that they're still holding back some people to see if they have places available, as some will have declined their offers.

So there's still hope.

Thanks for that :smile:. What department are you waiting on? It's the humanities (history) for me
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2995

So there's still hope.

Thank you very much for sharing :smile: It's a relief to know what's going on. Good luck to everyone :smile:

So there's still hope.

This really, really worries me. The fact that everyone else I know of who has applied to my programme heard back ages ago makes me think there's very little chance that they have places left I might be accepted to, especially since I never got the 10 April email in the first place. I emailed CHSS a week ago and I still haven't heard from them. I'm going to try phoning them tomorrow. I really am worried I was not accepted and I've just not been informed this is the case yet somehow.
Reply 2997
Original post by BiscuitTin
Hello!
I don't know if you've gotten an answer on the CAO question already but in case you haven't I thought I'd see if I could help. Basically its very different from UCAS. The confirmation of places happens a couple of days after the leaving certificate results come out, which is on August 15th and you're not usually contacted by the university before then.
Because they don't look at predicted grades or anything like that you just get a place once you meet the grade requirements. So if after your exams you have the grades they are looking for you can assume that you've gotten the place, unless the points jump that year because of demand, which usually doesn't happen that often especially not in arts courses. I'm speaking from the perspective of an Irish student though, so maybe there is a slightly different system for non-Irish applicants.

Thank you!

it just feels so odd, applying in January, but the universities aren't actually doing anything until Juli/August.
I hope they respond when they get my IB grades (July 6, so significantly earlier than the Leaving Certificate)
Reply 2998
Original post by Leogordon
Hi, I got my conditional offer to Edinburgh Uni and I got the Euclid email telling me to send them a copy of my exam results to confirm, could anybody tell me how to attach a photo of my results? I can only see the tick box for attaching and nothing happens and I can't copy in the picture. Any clues of how to do this?
Thanks

When I was filling in the Fess Status Questionaire, it asked me to, whether I would upload suporting evidence. The actual uploading, however, was a few pages over, at the very end of the form. Maybe that is the case with yours, too?
Original post by Darrenh800
Thanks for that :smile:. What department are you waiting on? It's the humanities (history) for me

mine's the humanities department too, but for architecture.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending