The Student Room Group

En Suite or Shared Bathrooms?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dan1909
Definitely, a few weeks in and people with en-suites realise they would prefer to have the extra cash!

I pay £92.50 per week for my accommodation which is pretty good. I get an en-suite, large desk and I can walk 3 mins to all my Uni Buildings. The money part of it didn't even enter into it for me, it was no question that were I lived was much better value.

The official Uni accommodation was 15-20 mins away by bus, 1960's buildings which were in a really bad state and 6 people shared a shower and toilet. All to save £10 per week, I don't think so. And to be honest I would rather live in a nice environment than have a little extra cash...
Reply 481
Original post by planetconwy1
I pay £92.50 per week for my accommodation which is pretty good. I get an en-suite, large desk and I can walk 3 mins to all my Uni Buildings. The money part of it didn't even enter into it for me, it was no question that were I lived was much better value.

The official Uni accommodation was 15-20 mins away by bus, 1960's buildings which were in a really bad state and 6 people shared a shower and toilet. All to save £10 per week, I don't think so. And to be honest I would rather live in a nice environment than have a little extra cash...

That's not what I'm talking about though is it?

I'm talking about comparing halls without en-suite, to the equivalent halls with en-suite.

There's always going to be private houses available that are better, but I was purely referring to halls.
Reply 482
Original post by dmccririck
Spending £20 a week more not only saves you that few seconds walk, but it also gives you more privacy, more hygiene... and avoids: frequent long waits for someone to finish using the shower/toilets, having to contend with loads of hair remaining in the shower plug hole, blame over who blocked up the shower/toilet, having to drag all your shower stuff over there, having to smell someones humper-dumper after they've used the toilet, if either breaks the whole flat is *****... yeh I think £20 a week is worth it :wink:

Yeah you really did exaggerate it.

In my first year when I was in halls, there wasn't a single time where there wasn't a shower available to use when I wanted to. Hygiene wise I'd bet that shared toilets are cleaner than en-suites, as they're cleaned by actual cleaners every other day, the state that some people leave their private bathrooms in is shocking in comparison! Again the hair isn't a problem as it's all cleaned and nobody really leaves that much mess anyway.

The breaking and smell problem is valid though, to an extent, as your en-suite could break just as easily, and there isn't 2 or 3 or more spare toilets for you to use there. And for the smell, if one smells bad, just use another, it's not like it's 1 single toilet to a whole flat!

So it really is a case of £20 a week for a small bit of privacy (as in the walk to the shower only), and saving yourself a few seconds.
Original post by Dan1909
Yeah you really did exaggerate it.

In my first year when I was in halls, there wasn't a single time where there wasn't a shower available to use when I wanted to. Hygiene wise I'd bet that shared toilets are cleaner than en-suites, as they're cleaned by actual cleaners every other day, the state that some people leave their private bathrooms in is shocking in comparison! Again the hair isn't a problem as it's all cleaned and nobody really leaves that much mess anyway.

The breaking and smell problem is valid though, to an extent, as your en-suite could break just as easily, and there isn't 2 or 3 or more spare toilets for you to use there. And for the smell, if one smells bad, just use another, it's not like it's 1 single toilet to a whole flat!

So it really is a case of £20 a week for a small bit of privacy (as in the walk to the shower only), and saving yourself a few seconds.

To be honest, it varies from university to university.

Here, ensuites are cleaned [as are bedrooms] each week, just like shared bathrooms. :smile:

As I've mentioned on the thread before, it is just down to personal preference. I had three years in shared bathroom university accommodation. There were a few instances of blocked plug-holes, someone entertaining the shower and having to wait a few times for the loo. But, it wasn't a big deal. Now I have an ensuite [a treat during the major stress that is a pgce lol ] and I really like it. Just that extra element of privacy and convenience. And, for the record, it is spotless lol - I am a bit of a clean freak lol. :redface:
So glad i chose standard accommodation. Save about 20 quid a week (which is basically my weekly food shop + more)
The toilets were never both occupied since we got a sink in our rooms, so no time wasted doing hair / make up / brushing teeth /washing faces. As that was all done in our rooms.
My rooms are alot bigger than those who chose en-suite accommodation, as they have to sacrifice space for their actual toilet / shower.
The showers and toilets are cleaned EVERY week day. AND we don't pay for toilet paper.
It's actually so much better. This is similar to the halls i moved into:
Reply 485
En suite all the way.

Go for a **** whenever you want. Shower whenever you want.

The mess is your mess, not someone else's.

Easy decision!
Original post by James4d
Just wondering. En suite rooms seem to be around 40 quid a week more than the basic rooms- is it worth it, or better to keep an extra 40 a week?

Out of the two Universities I really want to go to, I want en-suite at one and shared at the other. Because in the halls I want at one the en-suite is only £7 more expensive and I'll feel a bit awkward sharing a bathroom with 5 other people who I barely know. Whilst at the other the shared bathroom facilites are between two people/two bedrooms which isn't too bad. And the en-suite there is much more expensive.:dong::erm:
Original post by dmccririck
Spending £20 a week more not only saves you that few seconds walk, but it also gives you more privacy, more hygiene... and avoids: frequent long waits for someone to finish using the shower/toilets, having to contend with loads of hair remaining in the shower plug hole, blame over who blocked up the shower/toilet, having to drag all your shower stuff over there, having to smell someones humper-dumper after they've used the toilet, if either breaks the whole flat is *****... yeh I think £20 a week is worth it :wink:

£20 a week adds up to £80 a month though, which is more than most students' food budgets. Equally you're being very melodramatic. Shared bathrooms are more than hygienic enough, and I never have to wait to use a shower (3 between 14 people). It's an extra walk of about 4 metres to go to a shower, and 'having to drag all your shower stuff over there' is just ridiculous. How is carrying a towel and a bar of soap down the corridor a problem?

Also what a lot of people don't realise is that cheaper accommodation is often more sociable as you tend to share with more people. Yes occasionally the washing up gets a little ridiculous and yes it's pretty crowded sometimes, however at the end of the day we all get along and there's always someone to talk to. Frankly I'm a million times better off living in basic accommodation than living in en-suite accommodation with less money and less flatmates.
I'm having this debate with myself at the minute. I'd be saving about 21 pounds if I go with shared bathrooms :s-smilie:

I just don't know I really want the ensuite but don't quite know if I can justify it. Everyone I have heard from have said that sharing was no bother. Its a toughie!
I looked round standard and en suite rooms for the halls I considered. For me it'd be an extra £17 a week for my own toilet and shower, which I can't really afford. If I'm desperate I'll just wash in the sink in my room or run down to the general toilet by the common room. I'm sure for a year sharing a bathroom won't be that bad.
Reply 490
Some unis make you live in these "flats" that you share with 3 or 4 people. You have one shared bathroom! That doesn't sound toooo bad as you get to know that small group of people quite well :smile: And you do save quite a lot of money if you share!
the rooms without an en-suite are normaly always bigger to
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
'having to drag all your shower stuff over there' is just ridiculous. How is carrying a towel and a bar of soap down the corridor a problem?

For a proper shower for many people it's not just a towel and a bar of soap though. There's also:
- shampoo
- conditioner
- a second towel (if you have long hair to wrap it in so water isn't dripping down your back)
- a dressing gown (so you're not fumbling around trying to hold up your towel, carry your stuff and open your door at the same time)
- your room key
- any extra products you use in the shower or immediately afterwards before drying
- a pair of knickers and pad/tampon (for girls on their period who don't want to risk blood down their legs on the way back).
- deodrant (for girls who don't feel comfortable wearing a dressing gown without a bra, and like to put on their deodrant before they put on their bra)
- body spray (for girls who like to spray it all over before putting even underwear on)
- probably several other things that I wouldn't take to the bathroom but others would.
Reply 493
Original post by StacFace
For a proper shower for many people it's not just a towel and a bar of soap though. There's also:
- shampoo
- conditioner
- a second towel (if you have long hair to wrap it in so water isn't dripping down your back)
- a dressing gown (so you're not fumbling around trying to hold up your towel, carry your stuff and open your door at the same time)
- your room key
- any extra products you use in the shower or immediately afterwards before drying
- a pair of knickers and pad/tampon (for girls on their period who don't want to risk blood down their legs on the way back).
- deodrant (for girls who don't feel comfortable wearing a dressing gown without a bra, and like to put on their deodrant before they put on their bra)
- body spray (for girls who like to spray it all over before putting even underwear on)
- probably several other things that I wouldn't take to the bathroom but others would.

Buy a dressing gown with nice big pockets and stick shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and anything else in the pockets. Carry the towel to the shower and wear it as a towel turban on the way back. Body spray and deodorant put on back in your room. I'd much rather do that than spend another £20 per week on my own ensuite bathroom!
Original post by Lintu93
Buy a dressing gown with nice big pockets and stick shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and anything else in the pockets. Carry the towel to the shower and wear it as a towel turban on the way back. Body spray and deodorant put on back in your room. I'd much rather do that than spend another £20 per week on my own ensuite bathroom!

I'm not saying that it's worth £20 a week but just pointing out that it is a case of 'having to drag all your shower stuff over there' for some people. Also it's worth bearing in mind that it's not £20 a week extra for ensuite at every uni and there are sometimes other advantages like the location or cleanliness of the ensuite hall(s) compared to the non-ensuite to be taken into account as well.
Original post by StacFace
- shampoo
- conditioner
- your room key

A washbag can carry stuff really easily though!
Original post by LettersFromTheSky
A washbag can carry stuff really easily though!

I know. If you read the part I quoted it was someone saying you only have to take a towel and soap and I was saying for a lot of people that's not all they have to take.
I share a shower between 9 of us (it sounds gross, i know, but it gets cleaned every day so it's fine :P ) and I wear a dressing gown and plastic sandals to the shower. I carry my towel in a plastic bag and carry 2 huge bottles of shampoo and conditioner. I have my room key around my neck on a lanyard.

It's a pain. But would it be worth paying £35 more per week to have my own shower? i think not...
Reply 498
all the guys I know are fine with sharing a bathroom so long as when you've had one too many you clear it up and around a third of the girls I know are pretty happy.

I dye my hair a lot so sitting around taking up the bathroom for an hour would be pretty annoying for everyone else, I know I'd hate to have a flatmate like me with a share bathroom and I'm not good at sharing space which needs to be hygienic so I'm an en suite girl. I ended up in a flat with all girls this year who all take hours to get ready so I am really glad about the choice I made
The only thing preventing me from getting an en-suite is I have this idea in my head that if you get one you will somehow be isolated from the others? This makes no sense but it seems to be firmly stuck in my head. If you get en suite are you stuck somewhere down a huge corridor? Whereas everyone else will be in one place sharing a bathroom?

That sounds even more ridiculous when I write it down, whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest