The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Rate my chances at LSE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ruvermillion
Well, Maths and/with economics and Econometrics with Mathematical economics are all very similar so why would they think i'm just applying for the LSE name?

For the precise reason that they are all very similar - it just makes you look desperate to get in. Moreover, they'll wonder why you are using 3 of your UCAS choices on one university. If I was the admissions tutor I'd certainly think you were a bit of nutter.

My honest advice would be to stick with Imperial and perhaps consider doing a Masters at LSE. In all likelihood you won't get an offer from LSE anyway (not being harsh, it is the most competitive university in the country in terms of applicants per place and your grades are not exceptional) but with a degree from Imperial you'd have an excellent chance of getting on to one of their Masters program's if you can afford the fees.

And FWIW, I've heard the teaching at Imperial is far superior to LSE anyway.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
lol milkytea and cl_steele say you have decent chances whereas dannyboy123 and jedbrien say not so much.

Here is how i view it. Don't listen to anyone here and just go for it, you have nothing to lose and if you do get rejected, you will still be at imperial
Original post by Nanopker
lol milkytea and cl_steele say you have decent chances whereas dannyboy123 and jedbrien say not so much.

Here is how i view it. Don't listen to anyone here and just go for it, you have nothing to lose and if you do get rejected, you will still be at imperial

He came on here for real, balanced advice on how to maximise his chances of success, not to be told to just dive in head first (even if that's what he actually wanted to hear). As someone currently studying at LSE I feel I am well placed to give that advice - it's up to him if he decides to take it.
Reply 23
Original post by DannyBoy123
For the precise reason that they are all very similar - it just makes you look desperate to get in. Moreover, they'll wonder why you are using 3 of your UCAS choices on one university. If I was the admissions tutor I'd certainly think you were a bit of nutter.

My honest advice would be to stick with Imperial and perhaps consider doing a Masters at LSE. In all likelihood you won't get an offer from LSE anyway (not being harsh, it is the most competitive university in the country in terms of applicants per place and your grades are not exceptional) but with a degree from Imperial you'd have an excellent chance of getting on to one of their Masters program's if you can afford the fees.

And FWIW, I've heard the teaching at Imperial is far superior to LSE anyway.

Alright thanks for the advice. Then how many courses do you recommend i apply to? Just Maths and Economics and Maths with Economics? Or just 1. Also what do you think are the minimum grades i would need to get for a decent to high chance of getting an offer, providing my personal statement is good etc.
Alright thanks for the advice. Then how many courses do you recommend i apply to? Just Maths and Economics and Maths with Economics? Or just 1. Also what do you think are the minimum grades i would need to get for a decent to high chance of getting an offer, providing my personal statement is good etc.

I would select the one you most want to study and that you think your profile best fits to maximise your chances of success. I honestly think applying for multiple courses will hurt your chances because of the reasons I already gave, and also the fact that the personal statement is so vital. Even though the courses are clearly similar, if you apply for one course you will be able to tailor it specifically to that.

Your grades sound fine really, but you have to remember the calibre of applicant that they receive and that they are able to be very selective. I wouldn't like to say what you would "need" to get in, obviously you will have to meet the minimum requirement and the better your grades the better your chances of success. Having said that, I know plenty of people with top top grades who got rejected and some I've met at LSE whose grades weren't as good but still got in.

You'll also have to accept that a large part of it is luck and perhaps whether the admissions tutor is having a good day. I got rejected from Durham, Bristol and Cambridge but got an offer from LSE...
Reply 25
Is anybody really forgetting the fact that he is applying as an international?
Original post by Aphalleon
Is anybody really forgetting the fact that he is applying as an international?

Doesn't really make much of a difference at undergraduate level as the government pays the difference in fees with home students anyway (and in any case the difference is now minimal due to the recent fee rises). Post-graduate is another matter entirely.
Reply 27
Original post by DannyBoy123
I would select the one you most want to study and that you think your profile best fits to maximise your chances of success. I honestly think applying for multiple courses will hurt your chances because of the reasons I already gave, and also the fact that the personal statement is so vital. Even though the courses are clearly similar, if you apply for one course you will be able to tailor it specifically to that.

Your grades sound fine really, but you have to remember the calibre of applicant that they receive and that they are able to be very selective. I wouldn't like to say what you would "need" to get in, obviously you will have to meet the minimum requirement and the better your grades the better your chances of success. Having said that, I know plenty of people with top top grades who got rejected and some I've met at LSE whose grades weren't as good but still got in.

You'll also have to accept that a large part of it is luck and perhaps whether the admissions tutor is having a good day. I got rejected from Durham, Bristol and Cambridge but got an offer from LSE...

Ok, in that case then i have decided i will instead apply for Maths and Econ and also Maths with Econ. Do you think that applying to 2 courses will still hurt my chances a bit? Also that means that i should be expecting a rejection from one of those (if LSE wants me)?
Reply 28
No just apply to one course, your chances do not increase in getting in just cause you applied to all the courses. I don't see what's the point applying to two or three in same department when you do same first year courses and can switch between. Heck you can even switch to stats department after first year.
Reply 29
Ok, in that case then i have decided i will instead apply for Maths and Econ and also Maths with Econ. Do you think that applying to 2 courses will still hurt my chances a bit? Also that means that i should be expecting a rejection from one of those (if LSE wants me)?

Seriously apply to one, everyone on TSR who went through the process of applying for more than one course got rejected for all of them after waiting until March this cycle. LSE won't give you 2 offers, its unheard of.

And think about it. LSE will know you've applied for more than one. This shows your more interested in the brand name than the actual degree itself (even if most courses can have the same 1st year).
Reply 30
The way i see it. Just try damn hard to get the best grades you can this summer. I don't know about the whole applying to more than 1 course will hurt your application thing but to make sure i would email/call LSE to find out. As i said before, you have nothing to lose, so just go for it.
Reply 31
Are you good at swimming, have own wetsuit & blog ?
Reply 32
Original post by the bear
Are you good at swimming, have own wetsuit & blog ?

What does this have to do with the thread?
Reply 33
I would say you have a decent chance. Just make sure your a-levels are the best they can be. As you will only be applying to LSE, your personal statement in the eyes of the LSE admissions should be close to orgasmic
Reply 34
Original post by Nanopker
The way i see it. Just try damn hard to get the best grades you can this summer. I don't know about the whole applying to more than 1 course will hurt your application thing but to make sure i would email/call LSE to find out. As i said before, you have nothing to lose, so just go for it.

Yea thanks for the advice. The only thing i am worried about is that LSE won't like candidates who are applying first year while they are at another university.
Reply 35

Also how much will i be disadvantaged (in terms of strength of application) if i didn't do economics a-level?

No need to do A level Econ before doing any of those courses. You'll need to pay attention to the 1st few weeks of Econ B more than most of your peers but after that there will be no difference. Having Maths A Level is an entry requirement and FM will help you somewhat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending