The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2700
Original post by TheBritishBloke
You must genuinely struggle in life; since when were Mini's girl cars? What car do you own that's so amazing, exactly?

It doesn't move anywhere? It has 120hp and only weighs a tonne, and does 0-60 in under 8 seconds, yeah; definitely doesn't move anywhere.

lol ok then this is what i drive aint my exact car thou...if you really want i take pics 2mro for you but for the mean time this 1 looks pretty similar to mine.
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3795423.htm

i also could have access to a c63 amg.
Original post by bad8oy
lol ok then this is what i drive aint my exact car thou...if you really want i take pics 2mro for you but for the mean time this 1 looks pretty similar to mine.
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3795423.htm

i also could have access to a c63 amg.

Wait a second, you're saying I drive a girls car; when you drive a Honda Civic... Fairly sure the stereotype of a Honda is a female pensioner; so good argument.

You have "access" to one; meaning it's your parents, meaning it's not yours - Argument invalid.
Reply 2702
Original post by TheBritishBloke
Wait a second, you're saying I drive a girls car; when you drive a Honda Civic... Fairly sure the stereotype of a Honda is a female pensioner; so good argument.

You have "access" to one; meaning it's your parents, meaning it's not yours - Argument invalid.

lol regardless of what you say a mini is a girls car and so is your battyman ds3 :smile: and i'd dust you in a race.
Reply 2703
Anyone got any advice on a first car? Im undecided bewteen a clio (which I got taught in so know how to drive and what its like), a ford Ka or a Peugeot 206? Anyone had any of these?
Reply 2704
Original post by amy-wizz
Anyone got any advice on a first car? Im undecided bewteen a clio (which I got taught in so know how to drive and what its like), a ford Ka or a Peugeot 206? Anyone had any of these?

My gf had a 206, she did 160k on it before she let it go. She never had any problems with it whatsoever other than the usual wear and tear plus maintenance stuff. My family also had a 206, it was a CC but it was nothing but a pure french crap junk, plenty of issues with it from day 1 and in the end it didn't stay with us long enough to have a tax renewal even. It's one of those cars that if you're lucky you get a very good one and it is problem free. But the good side to it is problems aren't expensive to fix as parts are cheap... in UK at least.

The Clio.... you didn't mention how old it is and what version it is. Later models are essentially a reskinned Nissan Micra.

the Ford KA, it is a good first car, parts are plentiful and cheap. My neighbour drives one, never had any problems with it other than the tail-light keeps blowing a bulb. She just accepts it that the car is old and has some "quirks" plus it was built as a cheap city car so she doesn't expect it to last like the first day it rolled off the assembly line. Driven a few several times, if you can accept it for what it is, then it is an affordable was to get behind a wheel. Buy a good and well maintained one and it should remain reliable for years to come.. my neighbour's was built in 1998 and she has no plans to replace it as it still is in good enough a condition to satisfy all her driving needs. I think they are now quite cheap to buy in UK as well.
Hi :smile:

Anyone had a daewoo matiz, is it any good?
Reply 2706
Original post by pinky_pwincess
Hi :smile:

Anyone had a daewoo matiz, is it any good?

It's wheels :smile:

As a first car it isn't particularly a bad car just rather underpowered and lacks safety features.

Used to be very popular as a new car for young people when it was new and was viewed as "disposable cars" and it used to have very cheap insurance on it.

0.8l versions are very underpowered and thirstier than the 1.0l versions. Is it good? There are better cars out there, personally I'd go for a Ford KA before buying one of these.
Original post by Herr
It's wheels :smile:

As a first car it isn't particularly a bad car just rather underpowered and lacks safety features.

Used to be very popular as a new car for young people when it was new and was viewed as "disposable cars" and it used to have very cheap insurance on it.

0.8l versions are very underpowered and thirstier than the 1.0l versions. Is it good? There are better cars out there, personally I'd go for a Ford KA before buying one of these.

Thanks for your help :smile:

I dont really like it myself tbh, would much rather get a yaris but its more expensive than a matiz. I have a gorgeous fiesta atm but insurance is too much so sadly i have to part with it and get something else :frown:

I wouldnt mind a ford ka but i was looking for a five door car so thats not an option "/
Reply 2708
Thanks for your help :smile:

I dont really like it myself tbh, would much rather get a yaris but its more expensive than a matiz. I have a gorgeous fiesta atm but insurance is too much so sadly i have to part with it and get something else :frown:

I wouldnt mind a ford ka but i was looking for a five door car so thats not an option "/

OK, unless that Fiesta is one of those high powered or big engined ones, I doubt the insurance will be significantly different between it and a Matiz.

I am guessing that you are stuck in what is called a post-code lottery which is causing your insurance to be as high as it is.

Your best bet would most likely to be buying a car like an Austin Metro or something from the mid80s and have it insured under a classic car insurance policy which should bring it down to the hundreds rather than in the thousands range unless of course you could move homes.
Original post by Herr
OK, unless that Fiesta is one of those high powered or big engined ones, I doubt the insurance will be significantly different between it and a Matiz.

I am guessing that you are stuck in what is called a post-code lottery which is causing your insurance to be as high as it is.

Your best bet would most likely to be buying a car like an Austin Metro or something from the mid80s and have it insured under a classic car insurance policy which should bring it down to the hundreds rather than in the thousands range unless of course you could move homes.

Insurance on a fiesta is £1000 more than a yaris/matiz, i suppose it has something to do with my postcode because the engines not big at all: its a 1.2.

Co-op young drivers quote me £1900 on a yaris/matiz apart from that all other quotes i hav got are £5000+, my fiesta is always the most expensive :frown:
Reply 2710
Insurance on a fiesta is £1000 more than a yaris/matiz, i suppose it has something to do with my postcode because the engines not big at all: its a 1.2.

Co-op young drivers quote me £1900 on a yaris/matiz apart from that all other quotes i hav got are £5000+, my fiesta is always the most expensive :frown:

Interesting... I guess under that circumstance driving the Matiz isn't a bad choice if you can't afford the Yaris.

Either way as a first car it isn't bad as long as you get used to it and know its limitations.
Is a Mazda 2 a good car? Anyone had one? I'm a little worried about the insurance because it's in Group 9 (out of 50) :frown:
okay am having lots of stuggle moving the car uphill if I have stopped at a set of traffice lights, its just so hard to put the gear in 2nd while moving uphill wanting to turn right while at the same time accelerating, the amount of times I have stalled at the traffice lights has made me so negative and just last week my instructor noticed that I needed a break and took me home thats how difficuit I found it
has this happened to anyone else cos am finding it hard to cope with all the control what can I do about this cos I don't want it to become a habbit?

plz help me, the help will be appreciated
Reply 2713
Original post by Mazzini
Is a Mazda 2 a good car? Anyone had one? I'm a little worried about the insurance because it's in Group 9 (out of 50) :frown:

It's a Ford Fiesta under the skin. Not a bad car in many ways better than the Fiesta when it comes to build quality but you won't get a deal on it from the dealers the same way you would with a Ford.

If you're buying it new or nearly new then insurance shouldn't be any higher.
Original post by Herr
It's a Ford Fiesta under the skin. Not a bad car in many ways better than the Fiesta when it comes to build quality but you won't get a deal on it from the dealers the same way you would with a Ford.

If you're buying it new or nearly new then insurance shouldn't be any higher.

I thought Ford Fiestae (Latin plurals :awesome:) didn't have five headrests though?

Also I like the Mazda because it's a bit different :tongue:
Reply 2715
Original post by Mazzini
I thought Ford Fiestae (Latin plurals :awesome:) didn't have five headrests though?

Also I like the Mazda because it's a bit different :tongue:

Not having 5 headrests just gives it a minor difference, and it is only in UK where it doesn't have 5 headrest as those here in Switzerland have them on some models.

Yes the Mazda is a bit different, but then there are plenty of other cars that are "different" Depends a lot on your budget.
Original post by Herr
Not having 5 headrests just gives it a minor difference, and it is only in UK where it doesn't have 5 headrest as those here in Switzerland have them on some models.

Yes the Mazda is a bit different, but then there are plenty of other cars that are "different" Depends a lot on your budget.

I'd prefer having a car with five headrests just because it's safer. Don't want anyone getting killed by my reckless driving :colondollar: :colone:
Reply 2717
Original post by Mazzini
I'd prefer having a car with five headrests just because it's safer. Don't want anyone getting killed by my reckless driving :colondollar: :colone:

How often do you carry 4 passengers in the car? :smile:

The head restraints only help when someone hits your car from behind :biggrin:
Original post by Herr
How often do you carry 4 passengers in the car? :smile:

The head restraints only help when someone hits your car from behind :biggrin:

Well if all my family (there are five of us) are going out somewhere and there's limited parking space then we'll want to take a smaller car.

Still, it saves someone breaking their neck :colondollar:
Getting a second-hand car this summer would like advice. My options are one of the following:-

- Mini Cooper (Light Blue '54 reg)

OR

- Fiat 500 (Pale Blue '09 reg)

OR

- Toyota Yaris (Cerulean Blue '52 reg)

All help valued. :smile:

<3 x

EDIT: Why the neg?
(edited 11 years ago)