The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James A
If Stoke wins at Villa Park and if Fulham beats Chelsea, Liverpool will be 10th before their game at Blackburn.

That just shows what a bad season they are having. I think Daglish is the right guy for the job but they need more time to experiment with formations etc....

Keep Gerrard, Skertel, Agger, Johnson, Reina, Bellamy, Suarez, Downing. The rest should go, then build a team around the players that stayed on.

Henderson is not worth 20 mil IMO.

Good job we didn't pay 20mil then :wink:
Reply 6182
Dempsey would be great to have as another goal scorer next season.

But he'd do exactly as Downing/Adam/Henderson have done.

Oh look, one of our youngsters Woy gave to Fulham as well as £5 million for Konchesky is coming on. What a great manager.
People say Adam/Henderson/Carroll/Downing are crap and they are at the moment but I think it's down to bad management. I mean Downing was class, produced at international level what he did at club level. Henderson scored a great brace and Captain of U21.

I think Kenn doesn't know how to nuture young talent and manage not the team, but the personality of the team. We need a manager who's a good man manager as well as a good tactician.
Not trying to add fuel to the fire but this video legit made me tear up a bit

Rafael Benetiz - He Made Us Dream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X12Tz9z0fN8
Reply 6185
I think Davies has got a point tbh even if he's expressed like a ****. It's affecting another team, when it shouldn't - and could harm there chances. How's is that fair?

Also instead of cancelling the match, can't it just me made into some sort of tribute? All the money from the match goes to towards the Hillsborough foundations, ceremonies before, after and during the match. It's also a good way to educate fans of other clubs who may not know about the disaster in as much detail. Plus it's not as if it'll be a match day every year on the day of the disaster - more like once every 5 or so years.

Edit: Why couldn't the match be played on the Friday?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by VQG
I think Davies has got a point tbh even if he's expressed like a ****. It's affecting another team, when it shouldn't - and could harm there chances. How's is that fair?

Also instead of cancelling the match, can't it just me made into some sort of tribute? All the money from the match goes to towards the Hillsborough foundations, ceremonies before, after and during the match. It's also a good way to educate fans of other clubs who may not know about the disaster in as much detail. Plus it's not as if it'll be a match day every year on the day of the disaster - more like once every 5 or so years.

The club and fans don't want it and, more importantly, the families of those who died at Hillsborough don't want it. I'd rather drop out of the competition than play the semi final on that date again. Liverpool Football Club should never, ever play on April 15th ever again, it holds too bad a memory for so many people who were at Hillsborough that day and it is still painful for them too.

You go on about fair, how is it fair the 96 people went to a football match and never returned because the police didn't do their duty that day? You want to go up to Anne Williams, Margaret Aspinall, Phil Hammond and all the other parents and relatives of those who died at Hillsborough and tell them how unfair it is that Chelsea have to play on the Sunday? Even better, send them an email, you can can find it easily on google if you want by typing in Hillsborough Family Support Group. Go on, tell them, and see how they react when you tell them how unfair Chelsea have it on the anniversary their lost their child at a football match. I dare you!

Our match couldn't be played on the Friday because it wouldn't have been feasible with both sets of fans travelling down on the same day. No reason why the Chelsea v Spurs game couldn't have been though.
Original post by VQG

There's no right or wrong way to mourn such a tradegy. Liverpool have chosen their way and it's staying that way. Somethings just override footballing issues i.e. Chelseas schedule. They haven't made a big fuss out of it so clearly they respect the sensitivity of the issue.
Reply 6188
Original post by ChrisWilliams
The club and fans don't want it and, more importantly, the families of those who died at Hillsborough don't want it. I'd rather drop out of the competition than play the semi final on that date again. Liverpool Football Club should never, ever play on April 15th ever again, it holds too bad a memory for so many people who were at Hillsborough that day and it is still painful for them too.

You go on about fair, how is it fair the 96 people went to a football match and never returned because the police didn't do their duty that day? You want to go up to Anne Williams, Margaret Aspinall, Phil Hammond and all the other parents and relatives of those who died at Hillsborough and tell them how unfair it is that Chelsea have to play on the Sunday? Even better, send them an email, you can can find it easily on google if you want by typing in Hillsborough Family Support Group. Go on, tell them, and see how they react when you tell them how unfair Chelsea have it on the anniversary their lost their child at a football match. I dare you!

Our match couldn't be played on the Friday because it wouldn't have been feasible with both sets of fans travelling down on the same day. No reason why the Chelsea v Spurs game couldn't have been though.

Spot on.
Reply 6189

I'd rather not be insensitive on the matter hence I won't comment. But I do still believe that Chelsea should have a more favorable fixture, maybe even on the friday. Seems like it won't happen.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6190
Chelsea wanted it moved to Friday, I think Spurs/FA/Police rejected it.

I don't know if this will come out a bit insensative and if it does i don't mean to but...

Could it not be playing the semi final on april the 15th (espeically if you won it - which i hope you do for NUFC's sake) could be a great dedication. Playing for the memory of the 96. Kind of celebration of Liverpool and how they came through all this. Maybes getting the 96's families down to wembley. It will be emotional but just might be what the club and families need etc?
Reply 6192
Original post by Vintage
I don't know if this will come out a bit insensative and if it does i don't mean to but...

Could it not be playing the semi final on april the 15th (espeically if you won it - which i hope you do for NUFC's sake) could be a great dedication. Playing for the memory of the 96. Kind of celebration of Liverpool and how they came through all this. Maybes getting the 96's families down to wembley. It will be emotional but just might be what the club and families need etc?

The memorial is on the 15th at Anfield itself with all players, staff, families and a significant number of supporters at the ground. And do you really think playing an FA Cup semi final on the same date as the Hillsborough tadgedy would be just what the families need?

I really don't see why people are so bothered by this, it has been the same since '89 and some things are more important than football.
Original post by Vintage

Sorry, but no, it wouldn't. Too many people are affected by it and are still affected by it, added into it that the families do not want it. I wouldn't want to go watch a football on the anniversary of the day a member of my family died at a football match.

There should be no discussion, Liverpool Football Club will never play on April 15th ever again. End of. No further discussion needed.
Opta Sports tweets: "1 - So far Liverpool have won just one of their four Premier League away games against the bottom five teams in the table. Morass."

:facepalm:
Liverpool

Liverpool have won more games away from home than they have at Anfield.

They have hit the woodwork 28 times in the Premier League this season - nine more times than any other team.

Liverpool have won just one of the 13 Premier League games that they have conceded the first goal in this season.

So much for fortness Anfield?

Insane number of times to hit the woodwork, I think it's another 6 or so in cup competitions (bearing in mind we're only playing in Carling Cup and FA Cup this season) bringing the total to a whopping 34 times this season.

We've only scored 37 goals in the league, 14 in the Carling Cup and 15 in the FA Cup (most of the cup goals against lower league opposition)

Last stat just shows how little fight back, belief and ability to break down sides we have.
Reply 6196
The lack of fight back is strange, it's something that's always defined us over these last few years but as soon as we go a goal down nowadays, even if its in the 20th minute, the team falls apart and we never look capable of fighting back, something which that stat proves.

Regardless of how bad we are though I'm still looking forward to the match tonight, no matter how angry/mad it's most likely going to make me :angry:
Reply 6197
Original post by Mess.
The memorial is on the 15th at Anfield itself with all players, staff, families and a significant number of supporters at the ground. And do you really think playing an FA Cup semi final on the same date as the Hillsborough tadgedy would be just what the families need?

Thank. You.

So many people are forgetting that not only do the players attend a memorial service on the 15th of every year, but also this is an FA Cup semi final we are talking about here. Let's not forget also, that our very own captain lost his cousin in this terrible tragedy.

Anyone who supports what Davies is saying, sorry that the memorial for the death of 96 innocent people has gotten in the way of a football match.
Reply 6198
seen a bit of talk about Liverpool signing Dempsey, which is a strange one. It would be a sideways step for him as far as I'm concerned, he's the star player at a solid mid-table outfit, I don't think he'd ever jump ship to come to a struggling team where he would no longer be the stand out player. There are better clubs that he could go to if he wants but he is incredibly loyal to Fulham.

As far as tonight is concerned, we'll probably absolutely batter them off the park and have 25+ shots, which means we'll lose 1-0. :ahee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6199
Original post by Dorito
seen a bit of talk about Liverpool signing Dempsey, which is a strange one. It would be a sideways step for him as far as I'm concerned, he's the star player at a solid mid-table outfit, I don't think he'd ever jump ship to come to a struggling team where he would no longer be the stand out player. There are better clubs that he could go to if he wants but he is incredibly loyal to Fulham.

As far as tonight is concerned, we'll probably absolutely batter them off the park and have 25+ shots, which means we'll lose 1-0. :ahee:

Worringly, that would fit Comollis strategy of buying big fish in little ponds.

Comolli needs ****ing off.

Latest