The Student Room Group

Don't know which uni/s to pick for your Firm and Insurance? FAQ 2012 **here**

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I need some help,
I have offers for Management, for Cass business school, Brunel, Westminister and Greenwhich. I'm not really that smart and have always wanted to go Cass, but have read some really bad discussions on it, saying that its not a good uni, and employers think it's a joke. I'm really confused, I mean all I want at the end is a good job?

What should I pick for my firm choice and my insurance choice?
Moreover, would I be better of going into clearing, could I get into a good university via clearing, (e.g. UCL)
Any help would be appreciated, thank you
I need some advice - I don't know whether to insure LSE (BSc Sociology) or Warwick (BA Sociology). I've never visited Warwick but I visited LSE last week for a visit day and didn't like it. We had a meet and greet later with the people who would be in my class (it's a small sociology dept.) and don't get me wrong, everyone was perfectly nice, but I just didn't really like the atmosphere. I don't want to go to LSE, if I did, I'd be living at home as I live in London anyway (plus the accommodation was horrible and oh so pricey).
BUT LSE is so prestigious, and it has produced a lot of major sociologists. It's also where a lot of research takes place (which is what I'm considering going into), whereas Warwick's sociology deptartment isn't well known at all. /

tl;dr - insure (arguably more prestigious) LSE for sociology or Warwick, even though I don't like LSE that much?

Sorry if this makes no sense, I wrote this in a bit of a rush.
Original post by mehreen_x
I need some help,
I have offers for Management, for Cass business school, Brunel, Westminister and Greenwhich. I'm not really that smart and have always wanted to go Cass, but have read some really bad discussions on it, saying that its not a good uni, and employers think it's a joke. I'm really confused, I mean all I want at the end is a good job?

What should I pick for my firm choice and my insurance choice?
Moreover, would I be better of going into clearing, could I get into a good university via clearing, (e.g. UCL)
Any help would be appreciated, thank you

I don't know too much about management but even I've heard about Cass Business School - from what I've heard, it seems amazing! I don't think it has a bad rep at all - quite the opposite, in fact. You should go and visit though, to see whether you like it. It's up to you if you want to go through clearing but beware that a lot of unis won't have spaces through clearing and you'd have to give up your place at Cass. I suppose you could always look at adjustment though.
Original post by alexsasg
I need some advice - I don't know whether to insure LSE (BSc Sociology) or Warwick (BA Sociology). I've never visited Warwick but I visited LSE last week for a visit day and didn't like it. We had a meet and greet later with the people who would be in my class (it's a small sociology dept.) and don't get me wrong, everyone was perfectly nice, but I just didn't really like the atmosphere. I don't want to go to LSE, if I did, I'd be living at home as I live in London anyway (plus the accommodation was horrible and oh so pricey).
BUT LSE is so prestigious, and it has produced a lot of major sociologists. It's also where a lot of research takes place (which is what I'm considering going into), whereas Warwick's sociology deptartment isn't well known at all. /

tl;dr - insure (arguably more prestigious) LSE for sociology or Warwick, even though I don't like LSE that much?

I've commented on your dilemma before :tongue: But I would advise you to visit Warwick before making any decision, since you may hate it even more than LSE. What was it about the atmosphere you didn't like? I was also at the open day, and wasn't overly keen either. If the research factor is a major pull, then consider doing your postgrad there, since 'research standards' have almost next to no relevance in regards to undergraduates. LSE is more prestigious, but Warwick seems to be ranked about 4th for Sociology judging by the subject table guide, so ultimately not that much of a step down. If you do not like LSE, seriously don't go there. The fact that you're living at home would probably make it even worse, all for the sake of prestige.
Original post by Tsunami2011
I've commented on your dilemma before :tongue: But I would advise you to visit Warwick before making any decision, since you may hate it even more than LSE. What was it about the atmosphere you didn't like? I was also at the open day, and wasn't overly keen either. If the research factor is a major pull, then consider doing your postgrad there, since 'research standards' have almost next to no relevance in regards to undergraduates. LSE is more prestigious, but Warwick seems to be ranked about 4th for Sociology judging by the subject table guide, so ultimately not that much of a step down. If you do not like LSE, seriously don't go there. The fact that you're living at home would probably make it even worse, all for the sake of prestige.

I remember. Hello again :smile:

It wasn't anything I could pinpoint exactly, I just couldn't imagine myself there (at least, not there and happy). This sounds awful but I went to the meet and greet afterwards and spoke to quite a few people (it's only a small dept. anyway, so most of the people who would be there next year were present) and I got the impression that a lot of the people weren't really interested in the course. Don't get me wrong, I want a social life too, but a lot of the people that I spoke to were a lot more interested in the parties in London or (and this was the case with A LOT of people), they had applied for sociology because it was their last option. Some people had wanted to apply for completely different, more quantitative courses, but ended up applying for sociology because they didn't have the relevant subjects for the other course. They just didn't have any real interest in it and I didn't connect with anyone there.

Sorry for the long winded rant :tongue: what was it that you didn't like?
I remember. Hello again :smile:

It wasn't anything I could pinpoint exactly, I just couldn't imagine myself there (at least, not there and happy). This sounds awful but I went to the meet and greet afterwards and spoke to quite a few people (it's only a small dept. anyway, so most of the people who would be there next year were present) and I got the impression that a lot of the people weren't really interested in the course. Don't get me wrong, I want a social life too, but a lot of the people that I spoke to were a lot more interested in the parties in London or (and this was the case with A LOT of people), they had applied for sociology because it was their last option. Some people had wanted to apply for completely different, more quantitative courses, but ended up applying for sociology because they didn't have the relevant subjects for the other course. They just didn't have any real interest in it and I didn't connect with anyone there.

Sorry for the long winded rant :tongue: what was it that you didn't like?

I know exactly what you mean! That seems pretty extreme though.. I don't even think that happens often at Oxbridge, people applying for the least compettive courses, just for the brand name. I was for Law, and I just felt like everyone had their career mapped out into front of them, from the day they start at LSE, till the day they land their training contract with Linklaters. I'm personally someone who does plan ahead, but I just felt like the people were largely too focused on the brand name, and there was a fair bit of the oxbridge reject syndrome, with a few people that I spoke seriously trying to make themselves feel better by suggesting that LSE is the cream of the crop for Law. Also, just felt like the speakers felt that LSE brand can do its talking since LSE is often most people's top choice, or only second to Oxbridge. I seriously don't get this myth' about the parties in London being extra-ordinary, maybe its because I'm a Londoner, but it seems like people assume that they will be popping champagne in Mayfair every day of the week.:s-smilie: If I wasn't a Londoner, I would probably have just decided to suck it up since it is LSE. But, my life would be utterly miserable, and to be honest LSE isn't really that much superior to the likes of UCL, Warwick, Durham,etc to anybody but those on TSR..
I know exactly what you mean! That seems pretty extreme though.. I don't even think that happens often at Oxbridge, people applying for the least compettive courses, just for the brand name. I was for Law, and I just felt like everyone had their career mapped out into front of them, from the day they start at LSE, till the day they land their training contract with Linklaters. I'm personally someone who does plan ahead, but I just felt like the people were largely too focused on the brand name, and there was a fair bit of the oxbridge reject syndrome, with a few people that I spoke seriously trying to make themselves feel better by suggesting that LSE is the cream of the crop for Law. Also, just felt like the speakers felt that LSE brand can do its talking since LSE is often most people's top choice, or only second to Oxbridge. I seriously don't get this myth' about the parties in London being extra-ordinary, maybe its because I'm a Londoner, but it seems like people assume that they will be popping champagne in Mayfair every day of the week.:s-smilie: If I wasn't a Londoner, I would probably have just decided to suck it up since it is LSE. But, my life would be utterly miserable, and to be honest LSE isn't really that much superior to the likes of UCL, Warwick, Durham,etc to anybody but those on TSR..

I get what you mean about the London party thing - everyone outside of London as this idea of London as a party capital with the most extravagant events being held all day every day, but the reality isn't really like that.

I know what you mean - all of the staff and everyone there just assumed that LSE would be everyone's first choice, just because Oh-my-God-it's-LSE! I would have preferred it more if they'd showed us why LSE was so special - maybe a tour of its facilities, or at least the library. Anyway, I guess it will be the firm choice of many of the people who attended the visit day though.

Which other unis are you contemplating firming instead then?
I get what you mean about the London party thing - everyone outside of London as this idea of London as a party capital with the most extravagant events being held all day every day, but the reality isn't really like that.

I know what you mean - all of the staff and everyone there just assumed that LSE would be everyone's first choice, just because Oh-my-God-it's-LSE! I would have preferred it more if they'd showed us why LSE was so special - maybe a tour of its facilities, or at least the library. Anyway, I guess it will be the firm choice of many of the people who attended the visit day though.

Which other unis are you contemplating firming instead then?

Agree completely!

Will probably get flamed on here.. but Warwick firm and Nottingham insurance! LSE offer is A*AA so can't be an insurance!
Reply 108
I don't know too much about management but even I've heard about Cass Business School - from what I've heard, it seems amazing! I don't think it has a bad rep at all - quite the opposite, in fact. You should go and visit though, to see whether you like it. It's up to you if you want to go through clearing but beware that a lot of unis won't have spaces through clearing and you'd have to give up your place at Cass. I suppose you could always look at adjustment though.

ahh right thank you, have just been really confused about the different things i've been reading about cass. yeah i think i might go in on the open day just to have a look around. thanks for your help!

Warwick is certainly where you prefer so that's where you need to go.

Research departments mean nothing at undergraduate and you don't know at this stage whether you will even want to go into research or not. A lot of pre undergrads have this idea that they're going to do a PhD and dedicate their life to research but then when it comes to it a lot of people realise they don't enjoy it/there are other things they'd like to do more and it all becomes irrelevant. You will be able to get onto a fine Masters course with a good degree (2:i or a first) from either Warwick or LSE, that's the end of it. If you decided in 3-4 years time that you'd like to do a Masters at LSE due to their research interests matching yours then that would be fine.

You should also look into the course - a BSc and a BA are likely to be very different in terms of the course content. Its unlikely that you will love both as you'll definitely either be a "people" or a "science" based sociologist, people are rarely both, so you need to check what you'd be studying and whether you'd be happy with it.
Agree completely!

Will probably get flamed on here.. but Warwick firm and Nottingham insurance! LSE offer is A*AA so can't be an insurance!

Sounds good :smile: thanks for the advice!

Original post by oxymoronic
Warwick is certainly where you prefer so that's where you need to go.

Research departments mean nothing at undergraduate and you don't know at this stage whether you will even want to go into research or not. A lot of pre undergrads have this idea that they're going to do a PhD and dedicate their life to research but then when it comes to it a lot of people realise they don't enjoy it/there are other things they'd like to do more and it all becomes irrelevant. You will be able to get onto a fine Masters course with a good degree (2:i or a first) from either Warwick or LSE, that's the end of it. If you decided in 3-4 years time that you'd like to do a Masters at LSE due to their research interests matching yours then that would be fine.

You should also look into the course - a BSc and a BA are likely to be very different in terms of the course content. Its unlikely that you will love both as you'll definitely either be a "people" or a "science" based sociologist, people are rarely both, so you need to check what you'd be studying and whether you'd be happy with it.

That does makes sense. Thanks for the response :smile:
Hi, I need a bit of advice.
I'm not sure what uni I should firm. I have an offer from Warwick to study MORSE and an offer from LSE to study Actuarial Science. My plan is to be an actuary in the future and I know that both of these degrees set me up quite nicely giving me exemptions from some of the exams. However, I'm not sure which uni is the best for me and will benefit me more. The thing is I live in London already so LSE is really close to home and living on campus is very expensive, and I don't want to go from home because I want the full uni experience of living by myself. Warwick on the other hand is perfect because it has the campus feel which I am really looking for. But I am aware that LSE is the best place to go for future career prospects. Also the MORSE degree sounds quite complex considering there are so many modules in each year, while the Actuarial Science degree is easier to comprehend with just 4 modules each year plus the LSE 100.

So basically, that is my dilemma. I would really appreciate if anyone could give me advice on this, especially anyone who is already studying Actuarial Science at LSE or MORSE at Warwick, or just anyone who goes to these universities at all.

Thankyou for your help :smile:
Original post by FutureActuary
Hi, I need a bit of advice.
I'm not sure what uni I should firm. I have an offer from Warwick to study MORSE and an offer from LSE to study Actuarial Science. My plan is to be an actuary in the future and I know that both of these degrees set me up quite nicely giving me exemptions from some of the exams. However, I'm not sure which uni is the best for me and will benefit me more. The thing is I live in London already so LSE is really close to home and living on campus is very expensive, and I don't want to go from home because I want the full uni experience of living by myself. Warwick on the other hand is perfect because it has the campus feel which I am really looking for. But I am aware that LSE is the best place to go for future career prospects. Also the MORSE degree sounds quite complex considering there are so many modules in each year, while the Actuarial Science degree is easier to comprehend with just 4 modules each year plus the LSE 100.

So basically, that is my dilemma. I would really appreciate if anyone could give me advice on this, especially anyone who is already studying Actuarial Science at LSE or MORSE at Warwick, or just anyone who goes to these universities at all.

Thankyou for your help :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1952681 A similar thread was made!
Thanks, but that thread is about Maths instead of MORSE
Original post by FutureActuary
Thanks, but that thread is about Maths instead of MORSE

Well you didn't appear to ask many course specific questions, it seemed like the 'career prospects' of LSE was the pull factor. If you want to be an actuary, I'd go for LSE. I would say that both will set you up nicely for the future. You might be best of posting in the Warwick forum if you want specific morse related responses.
Oh ok then. Thankyou, I'll do that :smile:
Hi,

I'm thinking about firming UCL (Biological Sciences), but I have a tough time deciding on my insurance, as one uni asks me for 9 on average (9 out of 10) and the other asks for 8.5 on average, but wants an 8.5 in Mathematics, which isn't that easy. Guess the first one is easier to accomplish.

Anyone here with offers from UCL Biological Sciences?

Cheers :smile:
My exams start on Monday 30th April... would it be alright to wait until my first week of exams is over before sending off my choices? Because then I'll have some idea of how well/badly I did in them (most of my exams are in that week)... Or is the 4th/5th May too late to leave it if the deadline is the 9th?
So I really need some advice on whether to pick Imperial or Durham (Physics) as my firm because I'm torn between the two.

I really liked Durham and the collegiate system because it would probably be easier to make more friends this way. It also has a very good Physics department.

I always read though that Imperial is one of the best for science/engineering and is often compared with Oxford for Physics, and I'd generally be better off with regards to job prospects due to the city, contacts, etc. Although the downsides are the cost and the gender ratio for me. There are also some complaints about the social life at Imperial but I'm not sure if I'd just be picking Durham for the social life.

Any advice is appreciated :s-smilie::confused:
Reply 119
Hi,everyone so I got offer from Durham to study business finance and York with eco&econometric&finance.I want to be work at finance sector so which degree would be better for me(considering the reputation of universities also)
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest