The Student Room Group

Medicine Rejections Discussion Thread 2012 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Got 3 rejections and 1 still to have an interview - Leicester. 2 of the rejections are post-interview (Newcastle and KCL), one is pre-interview (Oxford - sucky BMAT).

For Newcastle and KCL - UKCAT 2910, so average 727.5. PS is decent, GCSE's decent - 2 B's(English and PE - English is a given as it's my 3rd language, PE - sucked in exam), 3 A's, rest A*'s., AS Grades AAAA in Bio, Chem, Psychology and Economics, predictions are A*A*A, dropped Economics. Although I did re-sit Bio and Econ 1st modules that were done in January 2011.

Work Experience/Volunteering - 1 week with a Consultant Plastic Surgeon and his team, volunteering in a hospital charity shop pushing sweet trolley around and stuff for 3 months or so before it closed down, over a year St John Ambulance volunteering, 1 week with Vitalise charity on a resedential visit, plus a part-time job as a Health Care Assistant in a local hospital as a bank, but only working on an Oncology ward atm due to lack of time, and a previous part-time job as a waiter for about 14 months.

What more do they want ?
Reply 421
Original post by Slavivlad
Got 3 rejections and 1 still to have an interview - Leicester. 2 of the rejections are post-interview (Newcastle and KCL), one is pre-interview (Oxford - sucky BMAT).

For Newcastle and KCL - UKCAT 2910, so average 727.5. PS is decent, GCSE's decent - 2 B's(English and PE - English is a given as it's my 3rd language, PE - sucked in exam), 3 A's, rest A*'s., AS Grades AAAA in Bio, Chem, Psychology and Economics, predictions are A*A*A, dropped Economics. Although I did re-sit Bio and Econ 1st modules that were done in January 2011.

Work Experience/Volunteering - 1 week with a Consultant Plastic Surgeon and his team, volunteering in a hospital charity shop pushing sweet trolley around and stuff for 3 months or so before it closed down, over a year St John Ambulance volunteering, 1 week with Vitalise charity on a resedential visit, plus a part-time job as a Health Care Assistant in a local hospital as a bank, but only working on an Oncology ward atm due to lack of time, and a previous part-time job as a waiter for about 14 months.

What more do they want ?

As 2/3 are post interview rejections, I would say your interview technique is the issue not your academics/personal statement. Try and get feedback from the universities to find out which parts of your interview let you down.
Original post by M | k e
A gap year's not a bad thing :smile:. I was in your position last year too. Email/ring all the universities asking for feedback, hopefully you'll get some realistic and good feedback to find areas of weakness in your application.

Then spend the year just improving your whole application. Work hard to achieve the grades you require, practice your UKCAT and improve upon your score, do more work exp, get a medical job if possible, make sure you show you've spent the year in a way that will help you be better at medicine!

I went from 4 rejections last year, to 4 interviews this year by taking a gap year and working hard to get good grades and improve my application all round. Having a good year too :smile:.

Good luck!

hey! I was just wondering I thought universities don't consider re-takes out of the 2nd years ( unless you have circumstances) so how did you manage the offers?
Reply 423
Original post by AishaTara
hey! I was just wondering I thought universities don't consider re-takes out of the 2nd years ( unless you have circumstances) so how did you manage the offers?

There are a couple of them which do accept it, but they do want a minimum of BBB first sitting (2 years). You have to have gotten AAA at the end of 3 years, check the resit page on TSR, it's really helpful :smile:
Reply 424

I guess I must have phrased it badly, I meant I worked hard after my rejections for the remainder of my school year to achieve good A levels, I had 0 resits at any time :redface:. And then spent my gap year improving the other aspects of my application.
Four rejections...
Bristol - Post interview (after being put on hold)
BSMS - Pre interview
Liverpool - Pre interview
Leicester - Pre interview

I understand the pre interview rejections seeing as my application (academically) is not as excellent as most of the med applicants...
I honestly thought I had a chance with Bristol, but ah well.
Now I have a choice, do Biomed at KCL or take a gap year.
My Stats
2A*6A (and a C in food tech :frown: )
AS: AAAB
(most likely to get AAA at A level)

I cannot imagine doing another degree for three years, but if I were to take a gap year (hopefully improving my UKCAT score vastly) then there might be a chance. Do they treat re-applicants the same as first time applicants? Do they focus on the fact that you have AAA+ at A level or do they look at GCSE aswell?
Sorry for this, but I really do need help, havent told anyone else yet...
Reply 426
Original post by HopefulMedic#1
Four rejections...
Bristol - Post interview (after being put on hold)
BSMS - Pre interview
Liverpool - Pre interview
Leicester - Pre interview

I understand the pre interview rejections seeing as my application (academically) is not as excellent as most of the med applicants...
I honestly thought I had a chance with Bristol, but ah well.
Now I have a choice, do Biomed at KCL or take a gap year.
My Stats
2A*6A (and a C in food tech :frown: )
AS: AAAB
(most likely to get AAA at A level)

I cannot imagine doing another degree for three years, but if I were to take a gap year (hopefully improving my UKCAT score vastly) then there might be a chance. Do they treat re-applicants the same as first time applicants? Do they focus on the fact that you have AAA+ at A level or do they look at GCSE aswell?
Sorry for this, but I really do need help, havent told anyone else yet...

Hi, sorry to hear about your rejections :frown: If Medicine is what you really want to do then I would recommend taking a Gap year. You are not alone, lots of applicants fail to get a place first time round but are successful after their gap year. It depends which university you apply to when it comes to how much influence your achieved grades would have. Cardiff for example add more points on to your gcse score for applicants with achieved grades. Whilst Peninsula pretty much ignore your UKCAT score and interview you straight away due to your achieved grades. Even if the medical schools don't really judge achieved grades, you still have a lot less stress to deal with and can focus on making your gap year useful to your application.
Original post by myyrh
Hi, sorry to hear about your rejections :frown: If Medicine is what you really want to do then I would recommend taking a Gap year. You are not alone, lots of applicants fail to get a place first time round but are successful after their gap year. It depends which university you apply to when it comes to how much influence your achieved grades would have. Cardiff for example add more points on to your gcse score for applicants with achieved grades. Whilst Peninsula pretty much ignore your UKCAT score and interview you straight away due to your achieved grades. Even if the medical schools don't really judge achieved grades, you still have a lot less stress to deal with and can focus on making your gap year useful to your application.

hey! how many points do cardiff add, because I didn't get 5A* at GCSEs, but if I have three As at A-level and apply with my grades, would they still consider me do you think. I had 3A*s at GCSES.
OMG I LOVE PENSISULA :')
Reply 428
hey! how many points do cardiff add, because I didn't get 5A* at GCSEs, but if I have three As at A-level and apply with my grades, would they still consider me do you think. I had 3A*s at GCSES.
OMG I LOVE PENSISULA :')

I think 4 but I'm really not sure, you would have to check with the medical school. How many As at GCSE do you have? I forgot to mention since it's likely Peninsula will split, you will have the option of applying to either or both Exeter and Plymouth medical school.
Reply 429
Original post by myyrh
I think 4 but I'm really not sure, you would have to check with the medical school. How many As at GCSE do you have? I forgot to mention since it's likely Peninsula will split, you will have the option of applying to either or both Exeter and Plymouth medical school.

yh I just checked their website and they have said they are splitting next year which is great from me since I really liked the look of Exeter this year but not really Plymouth. Do you have any other ideas as to medical schools that favour applicants with achieved grades ?
Reply 430
Original post by aggie30
yh I just checked their website and they have said they are splitting next year which is great from me since I really liked the look of Exeter this year but not really Plymouth. Do you have any other ideas as to medical schools that favour applicants with achieved grades ?

I think Liverpool allow you to score less in their GCSE points if you have achieved grades too. BSMS also put less emphasis on GCSE grades when assessing applicants with achieved A level grades. Again a lot of this preference is marginal at best so I would still apply smart e.g. High UKCAT = Newcastle.
Reply 431
Original post by myyrh
I think Liverpool allow you to score less in their GCSE points if you have achieved grades too. BSMS also put less emphasis on GCSE grades when assessing applicants with achieved A level grades. Again a lot of this preference is marginal at best so I would still apply smart e.g. High UKCAT = Newcastle.

Thank do you have any idea what the UKCAT cut off was for newcastle this year ?
Reply 432
Original post by aggie30
Thank do you have any idea what the UKCAT cut off was for newcastle this year ?

around 665 I think.
Reply 433
Original post by Shreyank
Hi i too have been rejected and i'm going to apply for Grad entry come 2012, you seem like you have experience in this area.Which is why i ask..

I have work experience at
Care home weekly
GP one week shadowing
Pizza Hut 1.5yrs

Extra circ
Maths tutor (part time)
Debating
Rock climbing,kayaking and some other outdoor things
Drama (perfuming outdoors)
Speech competition finalist [over a million participants]

and finally looking to get a 2.1 or above in Chemical engineering.

I know this is not a "am i good enough thread" but I am in need of much advice.

What can I do to improve my application before Oct'12?

Any tips for applying as a graduate? 4yr or 5yr or both?

Any advice you can give me will be much appreciated.

Hey, I'll do my best to help you from my experience.

First and foremost, your personal statement is your first line of defence so to speak and is the single most important thing in your application. It has to be right, send it to everyone who is relevant and get in touch with family, friends and doctors, whoever you can to read it. I also bought a PS book which may or may not have helped some, but I send my PS to several people including current doctors and health professionals and it clearly paid off (looked at my first PS and it was crap!). PS needs to include as much detail about you, but you need to say not only what you have done, but why you have done it and what you have learned from it and, therefore, why you would be a good doctor because of those experiences.

UKCAT is important depending on the med school you're applying to but obviously you're going to want to have the best score you can get. Get the 700 question book. I went over the whole book a couple times and did well. If you've got the money some will tell you to book a course but it wasn't necessary for me. If you're going to buy anything to help you app then buy that book.

Interview prep. I bought another book for this but actually it would help to talk to people; careers advisors at your uni etc... One guy in particular at my uni was extremely helpful so don't be afraid to talk to these people because they've seen it all before. You may be able to talk til you're blue in the face about medicine but when it comes to sitting in front of two complete strangers, and all the interview tactics they might throw at you, then everything can go out the window. Get confidence talking to these kind of people.

About your current EXP: I like your extra curricular stuff. Look like you have a good range of interesting things to talk about; most of which have transferable skills for medicine. But if you include it in PS then be prepared to talk about it and be prepares to back up why its useful for medicine or why it will make you a better doctor. Also be prepared to answer why you have a chem eng degree (which is more or less completely unrelated) and why you've changed your mind (presumably) or why not another degree first. Get that 2:1 or it will be nigh on imposible for you. Get more experience if you can. I got as much as I could get. Try and get into hospitals for shadowing so you'll have seen (and can talk about) both primary and secondary care. Your care home exp is good but only really if you are directly involved in patient care. Have you considered volunteering abroad or locally?

Finally, grad entry is rediculously difficult to get into as I mentioned on another thread recently. Much more competitive than normal entry. I'll be honest; with the experience you have had I would place you at a disadvantage to other grad applicants. For example, there are people who will have been working in the NHS for years. What about if others get a 1st and you get a 2:1. I don't mean to be negative but the reality of it is that there may be people with more than you and if they come across better/more experienced on paper then you'll find it tough to compete for 20 grad places.

There's more than that but I can't think just now. PM me if you like.

Sorry everyone else for the wall of text. Just trying to help out :biggrin:
Sorry to hear about everyone's rejections. :frown:

I am the same, got my fourth rejection today. I am not sure what to do, I got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE's (and had extenuating circumstances), got AAAAB at AS in bio, chem, Eng lit, maths and Latin and dropped latin this year. my predicted grades are A*A*AA and i got 672.5 in the UKCAT. I also did an EPQ which i got an A* in and was a medical case study.

in terms of extra curricular activity I study mandarin outside of school and have achieved high qualifications as well as coming 2nd in speaking competition. I also play piano and hockey.

I have done a lot of work experience in GP, hospital, pathology lab, care home as well as volunteered in India teaching street children. I was told i had a really strong personal statement and spent ages on it.

I applied to oxford, dundee (got an interview), edinburgh and aberdeen.

Not bothered about oxford rejection as i dont think my BMAT was high enough. Do you think I would be rejected from the other 3 because I am not living in Scotland?
Also does anyone know anything about ringing unis you havent applied to in case they have any spaces left?
Are there spaces in clearing for medicine applicants?

Sorry to waffle on...and for being so self centred in this post! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear... it's horrible how long they make you wait!
Original post by fighting_on
Sorry to hear about everyone's rejections. :frown:

I am the same, got my fourth rejection today. I am not sure what to do, I got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE's (and had extenuating circumstances), got AAAAB at AS in bio, chem, Eng lit, maths and Latin and dropped latin this year. my predicted grades are A*A*AA and i got 672.5 in the UKCAT. I also did an EPQ which i got an A* in and was a medical case study.

in terms of extra curricular activity I study mandarin outside of school and have achieved high qualifications as well as coming 2nd in speaking competition. I also play piano and hockey.

I have done a lot of work experience in GP, hospital, pathology lab, care home as well as volunteered in India teaching street children. I was told i had a really strong personal statement and spent ages on it.

I applied to oxford, dundee (got an interview), edinburgh and aberdeen.

Not bothered about oxford rejection as i dont think my BMAT was high enough. Do you think I would be rejected from the other 3 because I am not living in Scotland?
Also does anyone know anything about ringing unis you havent applied to in case they have any spaces left?
Are there spaces in clearing for medicine applicants?

Sorry to waffle on...and for being so self centred in this post! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear... it's horrible how long they make you wait!

With the Scotland question, basically no. All of the Scottish universities have to provide equal access for all citizens of the EU. Obviously this is a little difficult w/r/t the fees issue but that's for another thread. So it's not because you don't live in Scotland, but it's med admissions so it could be a whole host of things.

You could ring unis but it's not a realistic thing to do, likewise medical courses never go onto clearing, so im afraid there's little you can do.

Really sorry about this, your application does seem very good, not sure what could have gone wrong :frown:
Reply 436
4 rejections
Leeds- pre interview
BSMS- after being put on pre interview waiting list
Nottingham- pre interview
Bristol- pre interview

Yr13 applicant- GCSE-9A*'s 4A's AS-AAAA (B in Gen Studs but did that this year!) A2- predicted A*AA (A* for EPQ as well) UKCAT- 645 average

Work experience- 1 week in ENT, 1 week in GP's, 1 week in hospital with various specialties, 2 days in another GP's, Volunteering since May 2011 at a Care Home. Had a waitress job and a tutor job at the same time to raise money for World Challenge... before that I even worked at McDonalds!

Other: World Challenger!, hockey team, student councilor, grade 5 Violin, grade 1 Piano, grade 5 theory,

I think my PS must be the problem! :smile: So if anyone could help would be great. Obviously I will re write a lot as I have things planned for a gap year but it would be great to have some feedback on what I did wrong this year, so if anyone wants to help contact me!!!!

Gap year plans -

Will soon be starting volunteering for St Martins Homeless Trust, health care volunteer in Ghana Apr-Jun 2013 after that I will be travelling around West Africa :smile: Currently trying to get a medical related job/ NHS job but soooo many people are!!!! bad times!!

Don't fret everyone with 4 rejections, it happens to a lot of people and its always best to keep a smile on your face
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 437
Original post by greenfro
4 rejections
Leeds- pre interview
Bristol- pre interview

Yr13 applicant- GCSE-9A*'s 4A's AS-AAAA (B in Gen Studs but did that this year!) A2- predicted A*AA (A* for EPQ as well) UKCAT- 645 average

Work experience- 1 week in ENT, 1 week in GP's, 1 week in hospital with various specialties, 2 days in another GP's, Volunteering since May 2011 at a Care Home. Had a waitress job and a tutor job at the same time to raise money for World Challenge... before that I even worked at McDonalds!

Other: World Challenger!, hockey team, student councilor, grade 5 Violin, grade 1 Piano, grade 5 theory,

I think my PS must be the problem! :smile: So if anyone could help would be great. Obviously I will re write a lot as I have things planned for a gap year but it would be great to have some feedback on what I did wrong this year, so if anyone wants to help contact me!!!!

Gap year plans -

Will soon be starting volunteering for St Martins Homeless Trust, health care volunteer in Ghana Apr-Jun 2013 after that I will be travelling around West Africa :smile: Currently trying to get a medical related job/ NHS job but soooo many people are!!!! bad times!!

Don't fret everyone with 4 rejections, it happens to a lot of people and its always best to keep a smile on your face

Hye, it's great that you're so optimistic over this! I love that attitude! I wish I was like that when I faced my own rejections hahaha. I envy the variety in your work experience, a couple of doctors told me before that work in the retail field would improve your communication skills in med school, and perhaps open your eyes to how big the world really is! (sorry, bad translation from a Chinese proverb)

Keep up the volunteering spirit!

I can try to help you with your PS if you want. I'd drop you my email, all ya gotta do is ask. (;

EK
Reply 438
Original post by greenfro
4 rejections
Leeds- pre interview
Bristol- pre interview

Gap year plans -

Hey I’m in the same boat as you! haha
I also applied to bristol this year and was rejected. I got to the "second phase" but no interview :frown: In hindsight I think bristol was a wasted option because the competition is just so high; the statistics are 16 applicants for 1 place :/ what are your views?
:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Bristol-d***heads
Nottingham-d***heads
Oxford-You did reject me but you were very nice, had a transparent admissions procedure and gave detailed feedback-so I like you!
Sheffield you sexy people gave me an offer :biggrin:
Good luck to those without offers this year, focus on getting 3A's and then let the offers roll in next year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending