The Student Room Group

What nationality am I?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by arnoob
I am starting to loose faith in our generation :redface:

Me too :closedeyes: !!! Anyway its K :console: ... we will always learn from our mistakes (:colone: hopefully :colone:)!!!
Reply 21
erm..

African
Reply 22
Original post by 0range
I'm filling in a new employee form for a summer job I got, on the form it's asking me for my nationality. I always thought my nationality would be Indian because I'm indian and my parents are from India.

I was actually born here and while checking my passport it says that my nationality is "BRITISH CITIZEN"

Which one should I put down from IND or GBR?

Thanks in advance guys

How can you be Indian if you were not born in India, and supposing your parents did not specifically elect for Indian cirtizenship for you?

Surely, if you were Indian you would only be eligible to do that summer job if it payed more than GBP 20k pro rata and if it was a vacancy deemed to be for 'highly-skilled persons'?
Reply 23
You're British. If you have an Indian passport too, then you've got dual citizenship. But you're still British either way so I'd put that.
Reply 24
Original post by 0range
I'm filling in a new employee form for a summer job I got, on the form it's asking me for my nationality. I always thought my nationality would be Indian because I'm indian and my parents are from India.

I was actually born here and while checking my passport it says that my nationality is "BRITISH CITIZEN"

Thanks in advance guys

GBR it's kind of obvious, your nationality is the passport you hold.
E.g. I'm British by nationality , but Bengali by ethnicity.
Reply 25
Your nationality is always what your passport is.
Reply 26
paperwork -- british
in your blood -- indian
Reply 27
Confusing.
Reply 28
Original post by arnoob
Exactly, but wouldn't you think that most people would figure that out by their early teens, if not earlier...

It's really common actually, I didn't figure it out until I was filling out forms for sixthforms and my friends were the same. It isn't something I'd ever had come across or had to deal with even though I new I was a British citizen and had a passport, I just thought nationality = ethnicity. I know it sounds stupid that I never made the connection lol
Original post by arnoob
Exactly, but wouldn't you think that most people would figure that out by their early teens, if not earlier...

I remember when I was in sixth form and we were doing UCAS some girls put down Pakistani/Indian instead on British and people screaming at them :s-smilie:. It is quite common and people get nationalilty and ethnicity confused. If you have dual nationaliity you could put either one down I guess but I just stick to British.
Original post by chronic_fatigue
I remember when I was in sixth form and we were doing UCAS some girls put down Pakistani/Indian instead on British and people screaming at them :s-smilie:. It is quite common and people get nationalilty and ethnicity confused. If you have dual nationaliity you could put either one down I guess but I just stick to British.

Original post by style
It's really common actually, I didn't figure it out until I was filling out forms for sixthforms and my friends were the same. It isn't something I'd ever had come across or had to deal with even though I new I was a British citizen and had a passport, I just thought nationality = ethnicity. I know it sounds stupid that I never made the connection lol

Do you think the reason for this confusion is actually due to confusion in identity. I mean is it because people with different backgrounds fail to identify themselves as being british and want to accept their ethnic culture rather than accepting their nationality? Personally I come from an immigrant background too but I fully accept my nationality as well as my ethnicity and accept belonging to both.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by style

How on earth would Americans manage?
Original post by 0range

Thanks in advance guys

EDIT: Guys I realized I'm an idiot xD but got my answer so thanks everyone!

From what you've said, you're nationality is "British", but of Indian extraction. Some call it being a British Indian or British-born Indian, etc, etc, however if you're parents are both Indian, you probably also qualify for an Indian passport (if you don't already have one, thereby giving you dual-nationality.

For the purposes of your employment, I would put down that you are British, because you can run into problems, if they ask you for a copy of your Indian passport, which presumably you don't have. I am black of African descent, my mother is of dual Nigerian and British citizenship and my father is of dual Nigerian and Italian citizenship. I was born here, and have a British passport, therefore I am British and not Nigerian or Italian. It's best not to complicate things unless you know what you're doing, because it might cause problems with stuff like job applications.

Good Luck though.
Reply 33
Original post by arnoob
Do you think the reason for this confusion is actually due to confusion in identity. I mean is it because people with different backgrounds fail to identify themselves as being british and want to accept their ethnic culture rather than accepting their nationality? Personally I come from an immigrant background too but I fully accept my nationality as well as my ethnicity and accept belonging to both.

Surely they can't be that ignorant?

I very much doubt that an American citizen would reallly believe that he/she was say, Irish, or Spanish based on descent?
My friend was born in Russia but lived in Latvia for 40 yrs her citizenship card states her nationality is unspecified so what is she Russian or Latvian?
Yh I'd say put down British or British/Indian. My friend is in a similar problem - does that make you half British or quarter British and three-quarters Indian?
Hey! I was wondering...
My entire family is from India but my brother and I were born in the UK. Does that make us half Indian and British or three-quarters Indian and a quarter British?
Thanks for the help!
Reply 37
Colonize india

Quick Reply

Latest