The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

I've read in some forums that LSE libraries are much better than UCL ones. Specifically, I've seen complaints that the UCL library facilities (computers) are quite outdated and that the libraries at UCL generally have a much smaller selection than those at LSE. Those posts were back in 2009, so I am wondering if this is still true (if it ever was)...and to what extent this is a problem (if it is true)?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
I don't see any problems with computers being outdated.
Original post by kokomichelle
I've read in some forums that LSE libraries are much better than UCL ones. Specifically, I've seen complaints that the UCL library facilities (computers) are quite outdated and that the libraries at UCL generally have a much smaller selection than those at LSE. Those posts were back in 2009, so I am wondering if this is still true (if it ever was)...and to what extent this is a problem (if it is true)?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

I don't know about computers, but in any case if the UCL library does not have the books you need, you will be able to join Senate House Library for free as well as (I believe) the LSE library. One of the many good things about the intercollegiate system :smile:
With Biological Sciences (International Programme) MSci C902, for the 3rd year, which is the one you go abroad to a university in another country to continue your course, if I was to go to, say, Australia (which is one of the options) what fees would I have to pay, and would there in be any financial help in the form of loans or similar? And do you know anyone who has taken part in a similar programme, and if so, what did they think of it?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 2404
Original post by missemmyb
With Biological Sciences (International Programme) MSci C902, for the 3rd year, which is the one you go abroad to a university in another country to continue your course, if I was to go to, say, Australia (which is one of the options) what fees would I have to pay, and would there in be any financial help in the form of loans or similar? And do you know anyone who has taken part in a similar programme, and if so, what did they think of it?

Thanks! :smile:

everything about the finance stuff is here http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/international-students/current-students/ucl-students-abroad/finance/index/
Hello, I am a EU applicant from Spain and got an offer for UCL bartlett. However it is conditional to a certain overall mark in my degree. I'm doing my final module right now so my mark is pretty much settled as the weigh of this last module is not particularly high. Therefore the overall mark they ask me to get is impossible to attain even considering I got marked 10/10 in that final module. Should I content them and explain them the situation or should I consider myself as rejected? :frown:
Are UCL admissions very strict about conditional offers because my overall mark isn't actually that far from the one they have set...

Feeling a bit miserable because I have got offers from 4 other good unit but UCL was my 1st choice
Reply 2406
Original post by peliqueiro
Hello, I am a EU applicant from Spain and got an offer for UCL bartlett. However it is conditional to a certain overall mark in my degree. I'm doing my final module right now so my mark is pretty much settled as the weigh of this last module is not particularly high. Therefore the overall mark they ask me to get is impossible to attain even considering I got marked 10/10 in that final module. Should I content them and explain them the situation or should I consider myself as rejected? :frown:
Are UCL admissions very strict about conditional offers because my overall mark isn't actually that far from the one they have set...

Feeling a bit miserable because I have got offers from 4 other good unit but UCL was my 1st choice

As far as I know, UCL is usually very strict about the results condition of their offers. Still, it won't hurt to call the dept and ask specifically about your situation. Also, given that you're applying to bartlett, I would assume you had to send some kind of portfolio, so if that had really impressed them, you might be able to negotiate the conditions of your offer. Good luck anyway!
Reply 2407

Well there's absolutely no harm in talking to them is there? They are generally strict I think but you shouldn't just leave it - contact them!
Reply 2408

I'm a student from Spain as well. I'm wondering, are you doing bachillerato or are you applying for a pd? Because if you were doing bachillerato, you tend to have the option to go to 'subir nota' at the end of the year, as long as you havent failed the subject. At least where I go. But if you're doing something different, then I'm afraid that I dont know :frown: Message them and explain the problem, of course. There must be a reason they offered you the place.
Original post by andrea09
I'm a student from Spain as well. I'm wondering, are you doing bachillerato or are you applying for a pd? Because if you were doing bachillerato, you tend to have the option to go to 'subir nota' at the end of the year, as long as you havent failed the subject. At least where I go. But if you're doing something different, then I'm afraid that I dont know :frown: Message them and explain the problem, of course. There must be a reason they offered you the place.

Bachillerato was a long time ago for me, haha. I'm a final year student at uni.
Reply 2410
Does anybody know when either the UCL union or the main ULU reopens? Is it closed till the 23rd of April?

edit: I want to know if the bars will be open and when.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2411
Original post by INTJ
Does anybody know when either the UCL union or the main ULU reopens? Is it closed till the 23rd of April?

edit: I want to know if the bars will be open and when.

Regarding UCLU: I'm pretty sure they reopen on the 23rd although there is always the option of having the place for a private function earlier, if you need it.

And has ULU closed at all (except for Easter, i.e. till tomorrow)? I'm not in London atm but as it is a union for all London students I would say it should be open before UCLU (the terms start at different dates in different unis, I think).
Reply 2412
Does anyone know if the UCL accommodation has wifi? Or if some do, which ones? Thanks
Reply 2413
Original post by Trewq93
Does anyone know if the UCL accommodation has wifi? Or if some do, which ones? Thanks

there's a list somewhere, I don't remember where it is, but you'll find it on the website.

But Arthur Tattersall and John Tovell can get onto eduroam from the buildings over the road.
Reply 2414
Im going to study Architecture and i was wondering where will our lectures be located.

I mean i know the studios are in Wates House, are lectures taking place there as well?
Hello
I'm thinking of applying to read ESPS at UCL (not for quite a few years though). I love the structure and the look of the course but I don't really know what careers people go into after they leave. I've read whats on the UCL websites but it's not very broad.
Any help would be appreciated.
Massive bump
I know i'm a long way away from applying to a uni as i finish my A levels in 2014 but i'm really stuck on what to choose for my A levels this August and what will be 'good enough' for UCL. I'm planning on choosing either Law with Another Legal System or Law with Advanced Studies. For my A levels i'm thinking of picking English Language, English Literature, History and Maths and not sure if they're good enough or suitable for law. Plus i'm really confused about the LNAT, do you have to prepare/revise for it in anyway? :eek:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by I Kant Spall
Does anyone here at TSR know anything about the UCL foundation year for internationals? How do current UCL students perceive the program?

I'm an offer holder of 4 unconditionals from several unis (Edinburgh, Manchester, Leeds, and SOAS) but can't muster enough motivation to pursue that degree and want to switch to the sciences. Seems like this foundation year would be the opportunity to do just that, albeit at a steep cost. :frown:

I did this foundation a year ago for law. Wouldn't recommend it for the students who want to study Law or Medicine as the number of those who actually got into UCL for these degrees is increasingly small. However, i would say students who wanna study science related degrees have a waay more chances to get into UCL. The majority of my friends who were at the Sciences got into UCL. So, Maths, Physics, Engineering, Chemistry etc. students. But be prepared to work veeeryy hard because the foundation course will **** your brains and nerves for sure. Believe a person who got through this hell and is still alive. :biggrin:
Best of luck. If you need any info just sent me a msg, will try to help you with any advice
(edited 11 years ago)
I have an unconditional offer for Law. I took English Lit, History, Maths and Biology - similar to yours. You should be absolutely fine.

For the LNAT the only way you can really prepare for it is by completely sample tests on the LNAT website. For the essay section of the LNAT you should make sure you read a newspaper everyday for a couple of weeks before taking it, to familiarise yourself with the writing, which is similar to how tsecrets ions in the test are written.
To be honest though reading a newspaper is not entirely necessary.

Quick Reply