The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College London 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eatpraylove
Exactly the same happened to me! I met the actual KCL admissions officer and said there wasn't much room to change. They had about 1400 applicants for 80 spaces, and those that didn't make it into IP initially but didn't totally want to reject, or had an interest in Economics, were shifted onto the Politics of the International Economy course. Also, he said the IP course was actually meant to be of entry requirements AAA, but they'd lowered it as they expected that the number of applicants would decrease after the 9k tuition fees rise.

Personally, I'm more swayed towards Warwick for PAIS since I wasn't keen on KCL's lack of experience in Economics (or no experience at all), and the course would heavily be made up of 'rejects' of the IP course.

Oh & if you actually really like the IP course at KCL, PAIS at warwick is almost identical!

Also interested in who you met with. Was it someone in the admissions team or a member of the faculty. Did you do this for all the places you applied to?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by London1234
Also interested in who you met with. Was it someone in the admissions team or a member of the faculty. Did you do this for all the places you applied to?

It's the one guy that made all the decisions on the applicants for IP and PIE courses. He's the head of undergraduate department of politics I think; his name is Rod Dacome - I can give you his email if you want. I only did it with KCL because I thought it's be good to get some constructive feedback on why I was rejected and to find out some more information about the PIE course from a reliable source :smile: he was very welcoming and friendly, and gave me a tour of the campus afterwards, so if you're interested and don't live far I do suggest you try go down; it was easy for me because KCL is very near to where I live anyway. EDIT: your username is London1234 so I would expect you're not far away either aha
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by London1234
I don't think the rejects would be all that bad, given the numbers! Not sure what you mean by the lack of experience.

The 1400 applicants were for the IP course though. Since it's the first year that they do the course, and hadn't actually done Economics before, I thought it might be like a trial run to see if it'll work out. I thought it might be made up of 'rejects' because the course wasn't actually displayed on their website until late into the UCAS process - it wasn't on there when I sent my application off early December.. The guy did tell me that anyone that showed any interest in economics or did it at A2, and they didn't want to totally reject, they shifted over to fill the spaces at PIE.
I've noticed that a lot of people are put off by King's (for Law in particular) because it's in London (expensive) and because of its high requirements and LNAT. X)
Reply 1424
I find the PIE course even more suitable for me than IP. I applied right before the deadline (on the 13th of Jan) and i'm pretty sure that probably most offers for the IP course were already given out. Also in my personal statement I had "was intrigued by the forces governing the behaviour of states, the causes of military conflict and the nature of the global economy." I already firmed King's (insured Warwick PAIS) and although the course is brand new i still believe that KCL is an excellent university and the fact that it is based in London presents more opportunities. And even if King's is "new in Economics" i think its impossible for them to be bad.. (a major uni with a high reputation and so highly ranked in Business Management). And if you really don't want that much economics you can always choose the BA pathway and only read: Globalisation and International Trade, Principles of Economics and Political Economy: Concepts and issues (also included in Year 2 International Politics). Finally, I think that studying economics (or at least basic economics) is absolutely essential for a future politician (or a career in politics/ir as a whole). I really hope this made sense :biggrin:
Reply 1425
I think my email address has been hacked so I need to change it with King's. I looked on the 'myapplication' thing and it says at the bottom of the 'personal details' page, "If your contact details change, you can amend them here. Click ‘Update contact details’ to edit, and ‘Submit’ to save." But there isn't a button to do this. Anyone know what I should do?
Reply 1426
Original post by yp2
I find the PIE course even more suitable for me than IP. I applied right before the deadline (on the 13th of Jan) and i'm pretty sure that probably most offers for the IP course were already given out. Also in my personal statement I had "was intrigued by the forces governing the behaviour of states, the causes of military conflict and the nature of the global economy." I already firmed King's (insured Warwick PAIS) and although the course is brand new i still believe that KCL is an excellent university and the fact that it is based in London presents more opportunities. And even if King's is "new in Economics" i think its impossible for them to be bad.. (a major uni with a high reputation and so highly ranked in Business Management). And if you really don't want that much economics you can always choose the BA pathway and only read: Globalisation and International Trade, Principles of Economics and Political Economy: Concepts and issues (also included in Year 2 International Politics). Finally, I think that studying economics (or at least basic economics) is absolutely essential for a future politician (or a career in politics/ir as a whole). I really hope this made sense :biggrin:

I'm in the same position as you, and you've summed up my thoughts exactly.
Reply 1427
Original post by eatpraylove
Exactly the same happened to me! I met the actual KCL admissions officer and said there wasn't much room to change. They had about 1400 applicants for 80 spaces, and those that didn't make it into IP initially but didn't totally want to reject, or had an interest in Economics, were shifted onto the Politics of the International Economy course. Also, he said the IP course was actually meant to be of entry requirements AAA, but they'd lowered it as they expected that the number of applicants would decrease after the 9k tuition fees rise.

Personally, I'm more swayed towards Warwick for PAIS since I wasn't keen on KCL's lack of experience in Economics (or no experience at all), and the course would heavily be made up of 'rejects' of the IP course.

Oh & if you actually really like the IP course at KCL, PAIS at warwick is almost identical!

I received an offer for IP but asked to change onto the PIE course, as I only found out what that course was really about after I had applied (still waiting for an answer though). Someone I know did the same and was able to switch. Therefore it definitely is possible, even probably switching from PIE to IP as there are applicants willing to transfer the other way as well. :smile:
Original post by ostroff
I will be applying for Computer Science

Anyone going to apply for postgrad soon ?

I have got the offer from Computer Science from KCL. Most probably i will be joining it.
Reply 1429
Offer for Chemistry with biomedicine! I'm soooo happy right now! Good start of my weekend!
Im trying to decide between KCL BA Hons War Studies and Durham BA International Relations. I like the tradion/collegiate atmosphere of durham, but the course at KCL is my favourite i hate decisions
Original post by maxcartwright
Im trying to decide between KCL BA Hons War Studies and Durham BA International Relations. I like the tradion/collegiate atmosphere of durham, but the course at KCL is my favourite i hate decisions

War Studies seems so interesting and unique, and is a specialty of the university in question at that. IR is much more commonplace - an odd thing to use as criterion to be sure, but eh. Just my unsolicited thoughts. :smile:
Original post by ScholarsInk
War Studies seems so interesting and unique, and is a specialty of the university in question at that. IR is much more commonplace - an odd thing to use as criterion to be sure, but eh. Just my unsolicited thoughts. :smile:

That's basically what I'm thinking :smile: I just don't want to miss out othe collegiate atmosphere that Durham has. I don't know. I'll procrastinate then decide via coin toss eventually
Did anyone go to the event at Tutu's on Friday?
I couldn't make it. Was it good?
Reply 1434
Original post by Telekasi
I received an offer for IP but asked to change onto the PIE course, as I only found out what that course was really about after I had applied (still waiting for an answer though). Someone I know did the same and was able to switch. Therefore it definitely is possible, even probably switching from PIE to IP as there are applicants willing to transfer the other way as well. :smile:

Yhh I emailed doing exactly the same and got emailed back 24hrs later confirming it. Personally, although originally PIE was built as a sort of fill with IP rejects course. Infact this process has been done countless times in universitys to introduce new course in different departments.

So although i did get an offer for IP, much much happier with my decision to switch to PIE now.
Is anyone else apart from me really nervous about going to uni in london? :/
Reply 1436
Original post by nimanim
Yhh I emailed doing exactly the same and got emailed back 24hrs later confirming it. Personally, although originally PIE was built as a sort of fill with IP rejects course. Infact this process has been done countless times in universitys to introduce new course in different departments.

So although i did get an offer for IP, much much happier with my decision to switch to PIE now.

Did you send your email via Myapplication or directly to the department? I've done both but haven't heard back for six or seven weeks.
Original post by Bubbles94
Is anyone else apart from me really nervous about going to uni in london? :/

whats making you nervous?
I know KCL is a great university, when i visited it the first time I loved it.. i just have so many people around me telling me things like 'I would hate to go to London' all the time and its beginning to affect me a bit unfortunately :L I've heard things like how london has quite a lonely feel.. I guess I'm just worried about fitting in, and whether I'm doing the right thing going to a London Uni and whether I'm doing the right course etc.. could just be pre-uni nerves.. ><
Original post by Bubbles94
I know KCL is a great university, when i visited it the first time I loved it.. i just have so many people around me telling me things like 'I would hate to go to London' all the time and its beginning to affect me a bit unfortunately :L I've heard things like how london has quite a lonely feel.. I guess I'm just worried about fitting in, and whether I'm doing the right thing going to a London Uni and whether I'm doing the right course etc.. could just be pre-uni nerves.. ><

Pre-uni nerves are to be expected. How would anyone know how you specifically would feel when going to a london uni? I dont know either but, as a londoner, i can tell you that we are not as hostile or antisocial as some believe. Also, going to a London uni means that you would mainly be dealing with the uni populace, not the whole of london, and from what I could see from the open day, they are a really friendly bunch.

Quick Reply

Latest