The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yabbayabba
Hello, I'm just wondering why all the HTC Desire S contract phone deals are now gone? I can't fine one anywhere now.. I could find plenty around in January. I was waiting a bit in the hope that the contract prices for this phone would fall by now.. is it likely that websites/shops will re-stock this phone? Thanks

Don't use the one johnnnn has posted; I got my Desire S for Β£15.50 per month from here:

https://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly/deals/
Reply 7301
Original post by mikeyd85
Assuming SuperOneClick works with your phone, that should do it. :smile:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

Thanks I'll give it a go.
Original post by mevidek
Don't use the one johnnnn has posted; I got my Desire S for Β£15.50 per month from here:

https://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly/deals/

Thank you! :smile: That's around the price I'm aiming for. When did you get your Desire S and have you got the exact same deal as stated on the T-mobile website at the moment?

Thanks a lot
Thank you! :smile: That's around the price I'm aiming for. When did you get your Desire S and have you got the exact same deal as stated on the T-mobile website at the moment?

Thanks a lot

I bought mine about 2 days ago, and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow :smile:

I have the deal with 50 minutes, 250 texts, and 750mb internet.

Glad I could help
Original post by mevidek
I bought mine about 2 days ago, and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow :smile:

I have the deal with 50 minutes, 250 texts, and 750mb internet.

Glad I could help

Nice. I'm may go for the 100 minutes, unlimited texts (though that's not necessary for me) and 250mb. Though I'm not sure..

Do you know if it's possible to alter a contract part way through if say, I'd prefer fewer minutes and more data? I'm not sure if 250mb will be enough, but I'm not sure if I need as much as 750mb. I'd mostly use the internet for facebook, e-mail and twitter updates.
Nice. I'm may go for the 100 minutes, unlimited texts (though that's not necessary for me) and 250mb. Though I'm not sure..

Do you know if it's possible to alter a contract part way through if say, I'd prefer fewer minutes and more data? I'm not sure if 250mb will be enough, but I'm not sure if I need as much as 750mb. I'd mostly use the internet for facebook, e-mail and twitter updates.

I'm not sure, there's a live support thing on the T-Mobile website so I imagine you could ask them. I know on Orange you can change your plan, but I've never used T-Mobile before.

Just wondering since I'm a bit confused, if you were to root your phone and save it all up but then put on a stock rom (the ICS update) from vodafone that would be fine?
Original post by F_shakeey
Just wondering since I'm a bit confused, if you were to root your phone and save it all up but then put on a stock rom (the ICS update) from vodafone that would be fine?

Nope, flashing a stock ROM removes the root. Mobile ODIN has a setting that allows you to preserve it when flashing, though. In any case, you could always flash an insecure kernel and root it again that way.
Original post by whyumadtho
Nope, flashing a stock ROM removes the root. Mobile ODIN has a setting that allows you to preserve it when flashing, though. In any case, you could always flash an insecure kernel and root it again that way.

I see. Considering whether I should just get the CM9 when it's ready or checkrom, the custom roms would let me keep everything right?
Original post by F_shakeey

To make that work:

1)Root phone
2)Backup data
3)Install Vodafone ROM
4)Root phone
5)Restore data
Reply 7310

Couldn't get it to work, and tried different things like Heimdall with no success.
If I just connect the phone to my computer and copy every file onto the computer, then paste them back to the phone after the reset would that work?
Original post by cz100
Couldn't get it to work, and tried different things like Heimdall with no success.
If I just connect the phone to my computer and copy every file onto the computer, then paste them back to the phone after the reset would that work?

Nope. User data is stored in /data/data

Edit: Unless you can read the whole of the phone memory on the Mac... then you may be on to something.

Have you got the drivers for your phone installed on your Mac?
Did you enable USB debugging on your phone?
Reply 7312
Nope. User data is stored in /data/data

Edit: Unless you can read the whole of the phone memory on the Mac... then you may be on to something.

Have you got the drivers for your phone installed on your Mac?
Did you enable USB debugging on your phone?

I'm not sure about how much the phone memory can be read.

I enabled the USB debugging, what are the drivers?
Original post by cz100
I'm not sure about how much the phone memory can be read.

I enabled the USB debugging, what are the drivers?

Having done some reading, I do not believe you'll need the drivers.

Had you enabled USB debugging before running SuperOneClick? If not, try again. :smile:
Reply 7314

Thanks a lot

I got a even better deal.

I got mine in August.

Β£25 a month, 12 month contract. Also i used quidco to get Β£50 off.

300 mins 1000 texts 1gb data.

Also used some NHS discount.

I payed ~Β£240 altogether back last year for a relatively brand new phone.

Best thing is the contract is only 12 months, so I can upgrade in a few months!
Original post by lohoj
I got a even better deal.

I got mine in August.

Β£25 a month, 12 month contract. Also i used quidco to get Β£50 off.

300 mins 1000 texts 1gb data.

Also used some NHS discount.

I payed ~Β£240 altogether back last year for a relatively brand new phone.

Best thing is the contract is only 12 months, so I can upgrade in a few months!

The problem is the price. Why not just get a Samsung Galaxy S2 for that? Seems a rip-off to me.
Reply 7316
Having done some reading, I do not believe you'll need the drivers.

Had you enabled USB debugging before running SuperOneClick? If not, try again. :smile:

I did, and I can't get SuperOneClick to open, nothing I try can bring up the screen shown in all the instructions.
Original post by cz100
I did, and I can't get SuperOneClick to open, nothing I try can bring up the screen shown in all the instructions.

Awwww. Windows it is then! :biggrin:
To make that work:

1)Root phone
2)Backup data
3)Install Vodafone ROM
4)Root phone
5)Restore data

I see thanks now I just need to learn to root my phone...
Reply 7319
Awwww. Windows it is then! :biggrin:

:redface: Will have to see if my dad's old windows laptop can still work. He got the ICS update on his Sensation without any resets and it's lagging horribly.

Latest