The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3800
Original post by JCC-MGS
Yeah they're **** imo, disappointing since I like the other stuff the members are involved with but not that surprising really. Shabazz Palaces made the alt-rap record of 2011

Hmm there are a few tracks off their first album which I like. It's more just the raw energy of it than anything else.

What else are their members involved in that you like?

And which Shabazz Palaces record? I've never heard of them ahah.
Original post by Mo-Amin
Hmm there are a few tracks off their first album which I like. It's more just the raw energy of it than anything else.

What else are their members involved in that you like?

And which Shabazz Palaces record? I've never heard of them ahah.

It's called Black Up and it's baddd, I'm sure Bandini has his reasons to not like it but personally I thought it was great and the music press generally seemed to agree (tho as with a lot of alt-rap the hip hop press hasn't said much about it)

Zach Hill's the main mind behind Death Grips and he's in a lot of math rock and noise rock type bands like Hella, Crime in Choir, Goon Moon etc and he's been in Omar-Rodriguez Lopez's band, then the other producer Andy Morin has been in stuff like Dead Western which is psych-folk. Basically you can tell from their backgrounds that Death Grips was their first hip hop project and honestly I don't think they were interested in making hip hop so much as indiefying hip hop and just applying their style to the genre without making it coherent. Nothing wrong with the idea but badly executed imo
Reply 3802
Original post by JCC-MGS
It's called Black Up and it's baddd, I'm sure Bandini has his reasons to not like it but personally I thought it was great and the music press generally seemed to agree (tho as with a lot of alt-rap the hip hop press hasn't said much about it)

Zach Hill's the main mind behind Death Grips and he's in a lot of math rock and noise rock type bands like Hella, Crime in Choir, Goon Moon etc and he's been in Omar-Rodriguez Lopez's band, then the other producer Andy Morin has been in stuff like Dead Western which is psych-folk. Basically you can tell from their backgrounds that Death Grips was their first hip hop project and honestly I don't think they were interested in making hip hop so much as indiefying hip hop and just applying their style to the genre without making it coherent. Nothing wrong with the idea but badly executed imo

Fair enough, I I hadn't realised how much music these guys were already involved in. No wonder the drummer was so good on the live videos though :P
Their stuff definitely doesn't have a hip-hop roots feel, it does feel more like being on the outside looking in.
Exmilitary wasn't a brilliant album but I did enjoy it's dark tones and it had a few great tracks in.

Ahh, just realised Shabazz Palaces have a Battles remix, which makes me like them already ahaha.
I listened to Youlogy and Free Press and Curl. Loving it, so bassy, spacey, will give the full album a listen soon as I'm able to.
Tracks like this are the reason I still rate wayne

Reply 3805
^ That needs some explanation
Whats with the stroke!?
Original post by Mo-Amin
^ That needs some explanation
Whats with the stroke!?

:ditto:
I actually googled nas lost to see if i would find anything that would explain it
jingers u loser
Original post by kaylafrances
jingers u loser

oh hai
Reply 3810
Haha it is genuine lols, I've been getting the updates from BigGhostFASE.

Kind of agree with Elliot Wilson from RapRadar:
"I'm not ready to live in a world where Mobb Deep broke up on Twitter. Nah, dunn."

Ahaha
Reply 3813
Original post by Jingers

this guys pretty good who is he?

what does everyone think of dj screw and all the SUC. i been playing loads of chopped and screwed **** recently.
Original post by ugk4life
this guys pretty good who is he?

what does everyone think of dj screw and all the SUC. i been playing loads of chopped and screwed **** recently.

I don't know too much about him. He used to post on a forum I visit and he used to be a battle rapper too, but now he's making a career out of his music.

I don't like chopped and screwed music. I think it works better if you're high on syrup or something.
Reply 3815
Original post by Jingers
I don't know too much about him. He used to post on a forum I visit and he used to be a battle rapper too, but now he's making a career out of his music.

I don't like chopped and screwed music. I think it works better if you're high on syrup or something.

oh seen he might be one to watch out for.

i know what u mean but i dont get high and it still sounds good in some situations. its a chilled vibe and the flows are tight.
Original post by Jingers

Hai :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by LifeIsGood
Hai :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

What?
Original post by Jingers
What?

Ok you never got it. It's when J. Cole is mentioned, I always end up on this thread? I wouldn't expect you to notice as I'm barely active on this anyway.
Original post by LifeIsGood
Ok you never got it. It's when J. Cole is mentioned, I always end up on this thread? I wouldn't expect you to notice as I'm barely active on this anyway.

I feel like we've spoken about this before...

Latest