The Student Room Group

What do you Brits have against Americans?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bloodrazor
I guess the thugs must have been really affectionate toward the Malaysian student who got mugged a year or two back.

British people are quick to make excuses, that's why we mock them daily.

And I suppose the rampant homophobia, racism, neocolonialism, religious fanaticism and over patriotism are worse?

Mugging is not on the same scale as banter. Don't be more stupid than you look.

Can I ask you something? Have you ever heard of a place called Bhutan?
Original post by Oli-Ol
And I suppose the rampant homophobia, racism, neocolonialism, religious fanaticism and over patriotism are worse?

Mugging is not on the same scale as banter. Don't be more stupid than you look.

Can I ask you something? Have you ever heard of a place called Bhutan?

Well thanks a lot Sherlock, who would have known that mugging is not the same as insulting others? Well obviously British people.

Homophobia? Your country doesn't even allow legitimate same-sex marriage.
Racism? As if the TS didn't have enough of the prejudism. Oh wait, this is British banter right? I guess you can call American racism as petty "hazing".
Neocolonialism? LOL, your country used to go and screw up other countries and now my country has more power than yours, your country is too scared to screw with America.
Religious Fanatism? Really, so the extremely vocal Zealots of the South speak for a nation of primarily secular Christians and Atheists.
Over Patriotism? Can I not be proud of my perfect country?
Reply 162
I guess the thugs must have been really affectionate toward the Malaysian student who got mugged a year or two back.

British people are quick to make excuses, that's why we mock them daily.

Thats talking about two people in a country of 51million+. So by that then all american are gun totting insane people who burn the holy book of the country they are try to make peace with. Americans are just as quick to make excuses.
Reply 163
The fat acceptance movement.
Original post by plimsolls
The fat acceptance movement.

Please tell me that doesn't exist. What on earth are it's motives, aims etc?
Well thanks a lot Sherlock, who would have known that mugging is not the same as insulting others? Well obviously British people.

Homophobia? Your country doesn't even allow legitimate same-sex marriage.
Racism? As if the TS didn't have enough of the prejudism. Oh wait, this is British banter right? I guess you can call American racism as petty "hazing".
Neocolonialism? LOL, your country used to go and screw up other countries and now my country has more power than yours, your country is too scared to screw with America.
Religious Fanatism? Really, so the extremely vocal Zealots of the South speak for a nation of primarily secular Christians and Atheists.
Over Patriotism? Can I not be proud of my perfect country?

1) Neither does federal government in the US, and only 6 of 50 states allow marriage. So, err, yeah - your country doesn't allow same-sex marriage either.
2) No it's not banter. You've got a bit of a history of being flag-waving racists.
3) So your argument is: You used to do it, so it's fine for us to **** the world over? No offence, but that is one of the most retarded processes of logic I've ever heard.
4) They certainly speak loudest chap.
5) Perfect Country? perfect example of over-patriotism, your country is far from perfect.
Reply 167
Original post by alexs2602
What makes you think that?

Because I use sarcasm on a daily basis. I understand British sarcasm, despite bring told by everyone on here that I dont, but these guys were not being sarcastic in a friendly way. They were being extremely rude.
Original post by Kdm4life
Im American, and I've always been fascinated by other cultures, particularly the British culture. Naturally, I started doing research, and came across numerous(at least a dozen that i actually watched, but there were plenty more) Youtube videos of British people bashing Americans. At first, I thought these were isolated incidents, then I discovered this site, and also discovered that arguably the majority of the people on this site also seem to have some sort of deep seated hatred of Americans. I didnt let it perturb me however, and decided to Study Abroad in London at KCL. I got there in a joyous mood, but that mood was soon changed when I realised that me and my friends were automatically being categorized as fat, dumb, and unaware of world events, purely because we were American(We are the opposite of all three). We were also criticized for not understanding British slang and for "not speaking proper English".

Can someone please explain to me where this is coming from. I dont like to make generalizations, but all of the experiences that I have had with British people have involved them making fun of the US in some way, shape, or form. Is it jealousy? I personally dont see what there is to be jealous about, but I cant really think of any other reason. I know that you all are not like this, but why do British people take the worst possible stereotypes of Americans and push them on all of us?

If you're going to neg me, give me an explanation at least.

American cons:
Completely ignorant of anything outside US borders
Super religious
A bit cringey
Too earnest
Accent

American pros:
Inventive
Enthusiastic
Genuinely nice people, usually
Speak English
Funny

Americans might be stupid, but they're Good and Competent, as opposed to, say, the Germans or the Chinese.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 169
Original post by Oli-Ol
No it wasn't, you just don't understand English humour yet.

In England it is funny to wryly insult yourself, your friends and your country. Americans take themselves far too seriously for this to be the case. They were probably being friendly.

And yes, often it is very difficult to work out whether someone is actually insulting you or whether they're being affectionate. Often they'll be both. For example, I have a friend who frequently tells me I have no social skills/ that I always say the wrong thing.

Is she joking? Yes. Is it true? Also yes. Is it sometimes a little close to the mark? Definitely. That's a form of humour here.

Me and my friends insult each other literally every single day. Do we actually mean it? No. I also consider my self very skilled in the use of sarcasm(Its the primary way I make jokes). And in the cases I am mentioning, these guys were not joking, they were completely serious.
Original post by Oli-Ol
No it wasn't, you just don't understand English humour yet.

In England it is funny to wryly insult yourself, your friends and your country. Americans take themselves far too seriously for this to be the case. They were probably being friendly.

And yes, often it is very difficult to work out whether someone is actually insulting you or whether they're being affectionate. Often they'll be both. For example, I have a friend who frequently tells me I have no social skills/ that I always say the wrong thing.

Is she joking? Yes. Is it true? Also yes. Is it sometimes a little close to the mark? Definitely. That's a form of humour here.
It's not just Americans that don't get this, its basically everyone else, too. Australians & NZ, (These cultures are the most similar to ours) are pretty good at it, but not as good as us. It's pretty exclusive.
Reply 171
That you keep thinking we have something against you.
It's a bit narcissistic - at some point you'll just have to realise that most Brits don't give much of a ****.
Reply 172
Original post by Jimbo1234
British people are xenophobic and sexist. It is so deeply engrained most people do not even realise that it is there.
It has developed due to being insecure and being unable to admit that our country has flaws, therefore everyone has to attempt to make out that every other country is worse.

EDIT: The number of negs with no counter arguments show that yet again I am right.

First off, every country in the world has flaws.

Second, xenophobic? Reallllyyyy? The Brits had an empire that stretched across what.... a third of the world? They were in constant contact with hundreds of cultures all vastly different to their own. If they were so xenophobic they wouldn't leave their island.
Reply 173
I do not hate Americans.

However, one of my best friends is American and there are moments when we just do not see each other's way of thinking. And there are times we end up frustrated with each other because we both think the other is being an ********.

Most of the Americans I have met are cool and up for a laugh, even if they don't always know what I'm on about. Peace!
Reply 174
I think it is very eye opening to have a best friend that is from Yorkshire. Getting to see his views about NHS and a few other parts of the UK is extremely interesting. Though I think he has become extremely "americanized" as he pretty much would hate to have to move back to the UK.

I would fit probably two of the american stereotypes, fat, and loud. Though I am only loud on occasion, I am usually fairly fat. I think it is fairly common these days for people to be outspoken about other countries and when you are outspoken it tends to come across as just bashing.

Hell I talk to someone from TSR who is from Germany, and we constantly have disagreements but are able to agree to disagree.

Yes most of my country is christian/religious. But, those of us that are educated don't let it blind us as much as the ones that are over-zealous. But at the same time, who I am to judge someone for being religious, I can't stand religion and my girl friend is Catholic, in my view the worst of the noncult christian denominations. I don't let someone's religion keep me from liking them, I don't see why being part of a church should preclude someone from being a caring or intelligent person.

Anyways I am beginning to ramble. OP just tell the people bugging you to piss off, find a picture of our gas prices here back and the states and flash them a smug smile. Just thicken up your skin a bit and go blow for blow with their joking.
Original post by Enigma.

Second, xenophobic? Reallllyyyy? The Brits had an empire that stretched across what.... a third of the world? They were in constant contact with hundreds of cultures all vastly different to their own. If they were so xenophobic they wouldn't leave their island.

Yes, no country is perfect.

But we are xenophobic and racist. If you want to use the Empire as an example, just think about how we treated the natives of these countries. Now think about how all of todays media portrays every Muslim as a man wearing a cap and beard, or a woman wearing a headscarf and how both want to rape children and take over our country. That is such utter racist bull**** it is infuriating....but many people believe it.
It's like us Brits who like to sit down every morning in Buckingham Palaca with our tea and crumpets..
Reply 178
I don't hate American people as such. Some of my most influential idols are American (George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Mos Def, A tribe called quest (probably loads more). It's more the general nature of America as a country. The idols I listed share the same view that there is inherently something very ****ed up in America.

People are lied to, advertisements push unhealthy substances onto people and the American government travels round the world creating devastation, which the American corporations profit from.

Don't get me wrong, Britain are in no way angels but we don't seem to have the same arrogance as America.

There are also obviously the hatred for the American accent, but this of course differs from where you actually come from in America (the native New Yorker actually sounds quite cool).

I think that a lot of people act like they don't like you because they want you to see them as really ****ing cool and then they can teach you about Britain, with them being the typical ****ing Londoner mate.

Short form - we don't really hate you that much but you can be pretty ****ing annoying. Also your government and culture is messed up, but we're getting that way too.
Original post by Enigma.

it's the British are so xenophobic why do people argue that British cuisine doesn't exist because it has been taken over immigrant cuisines / British Indian cuisine ?

look at the hindi and urdu ( and other ) loanwords in British English ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending