The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4000
Original post by Pandora.
7 years for a PhD on it's own? :eek:

Yep, it's a long time isn't it!

But, I'd get to be called 'Dr Allan', and go into the field I want, which is quite cool :smile:
Original post by c3ntury
I think it's 6 including the MA.

And eh? You're going to earn 30K a year... and not spend a penny... for nearly a decade?

How does that work?

Yeah yeah I know lol, I was justing making a point :tongue:
Original post by TheDizzeeKid
Does anyone here have a part-time job and where?

I have a summer job at the local medical practice
Original post by c3ntury
Yep, it's a long time isn't it!

But, I'd get to be called 'Dr Allan', and go into the field I want, which is quite cool :smile:

Do you know what field you're interested in? :smile:

I'd love to do a PhD if I end up studying History, but not if I end up doing English. That's assuming I don't decide to do something to do with boats after my degree... (:tongue:) and I'm, still interested in teaching English abroad after I've graduated! God, it's refreshing to have an open mind! :biggrin:
:awesome:

I think Aeronautical is more rewarding financially and is more interesting but the competition is IMMENSE at the Uni's I want to apply to. With Mechanical I think I'd have more of a chance :smile:

Really? What Uni's are you looking at, cus' Engineering overall shouldn't be as competitive as things like Medicine or Economics.

I'm looking at Louborough, Bham or Manchester with a year in industry. Are you doing F.Maths?
Original post by g.k.galloway
I have a summer job at the local medical practice

I do too at Hollister but I'm guessing I'm going to have to give that up shortly and get a job volunteering or something to keep my options open regarding medicine.
Reply 4006
I'm doing maths, physics and chemistry at college, with no idea of what I want to do in the future. Is it worth doing work experience seeing as I don't know what I want to work as?
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Really? What Uni's are you looking at, cus' Engineering overall shouldn't be as competitive as things like Medicine or Economics.

I'm looking at Louborough, Bham or Manchester with a year in industry. Are you doing F.Maths?

Ye...
I'm looking at Cambridge, Cardiff, UCL, Imperial etc. (Not Oxford though)..

Good choices :biggrin:

Nahh, that's also going to bring my application down a bit. I'm taking Maths Mechanics, Chemistry, Physics and Economics.
wbu?
Reply 4008

I'd love to do a PhD if I end up studying History, but not if I end up doing English. That's assuming I don't decide to do something to do with boats after my degree... (:tongue:) and I'm, still interested in teaching English abroad after I've graduated! God, it's refreshing to have an open mind! :biggrin:

Quantum Computation or perhaps Abstraction Theory. Something cutting-edge though ideally :tongue:

And what's happened to your hopes and dreams of Archaeology?!

Good to see you're still abroad to go abroad, I'm hoping to spend part of my gap year in Korea teaching English :smile:
I do too at Hollister but I'm guessing I'm going to have to give that up shortly and get a job volunteering or something to keep my options open regarding medicine.

i volunteer at beaver scouts, and am an explorer scout myself. i also am in the process of joining the st.johns ambulance.

hope to get a week at hospital this summer along with a week at a primary school (have already done 2 weeks). i want to go into paediatrics (Hence the kid stuff)

or become a brain surgeon (least likely option lol)
Original post by Kwaku_96
So on moderation day, do you think my Art exam will get marked? Sorry for bothering everyone, Im just getting freaked out. I want to get a C or above in that subject as it's my favourite and it's also my top choice at college. For the Art exam, my painting is worth 25% and my sketchbook is worth 75%. I really don't want to fail.

I'm pretty sure everyones will be moderated, not like some subjects, where only a sample of everyones work is. :smile:

:hi:

Helloooo :llama: (sorry- just discovered the list of smilies!)

Original post by larryb
im a 'medic hopeful' aiming for 7A*'s and 3A's, I've got volunteering and work experience lined up, doing bio, chem, phys, maths for a level and hoping to get into oxford

Wow, you sound so organised, i'm doing the same Alevels apart from switching Maths for Geography (contraversial i know)! Tbh, i'm not worrying about the uni in particular, i'll go anywhere who wants me!

elderly people homes mainly zero replies - thought it was actually quite rude to not even acknowledge my interest
i do volunteering but i hope to get some hospital work exp soon

Yea, a lot of people don't bother to reply! I'd rather them reply with just a "no" as atleast i know they've seen and acknowledged it...
Hospital work experience this early on will be great for your application i'm sure! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4011
Original post by Cubic
I'm doing maths, physics and chemistry at college, with no idea of what I want to do in the future. Is it worth doing work experience seeing as I don't know what I want to work as?

I'd say that work experience might actually help you discover something that you'd adore to do for your career. :P
Original post by burgerrr
I'm pretty sure everyones will be moderated, not like some subjects, where only a sample of everyones work is. :smile:

Wow, you sound so organised, i'm doing the same Alevels apart from switching Maths for Geography (contraversial i know)! Tbh, i'm not worrying about the uni in particular, i'll go anywhere who wants me!

Yea, a lot of people don't bother to reply! I'd rather them reply with just a "no" as atleast i know they've seen and acknowledged it...
Hospital work experience this early on will be great for your application i'm sure! :smile:

So annoyed i don't know any medics to badger for w.e!

lol same!
Original post by c3ntury
Quantum Computation or perhaps Abstraction Theory. Something cutting-edge though ideally :tongue:

And what's happened to your hopes and dreams of Archaeology?!

Good to see you're still abroad to go abroad, I'm hoping to spend part of my gap year in Korea teaching English :smile:

If you invent a new groundbreaking product, please let me have one for free instead of forking out hundreds of pounds for it! :tongue:

I just realised how much I loved History, so I'm not going to settle for anything less just because I didn't achieve an A* at GCSE level. :biggrin:

Korea hmm? North or South? :biggrin: Nah, I kid. I know it's far in the future, but you should really consider creating a blog about your gap year when it comes. I'd love to see the pictures! :biggrin:
i volunteer at beaver scouts, and am an explorer scout myself. i also am in the process of joining the st.johns ambulance.

hope to get a week at hospital this summer along with a week at a primary school (have already done 2 weeks). i want to go into paediatrics (Hence the kid stuff)

or become a brain surgeon (least likely option lol)

I did a week at my primary school for work experience because I was too slow taking up other jobs and such :rant:......But now I can see that it may be useful should I wish to become a paediatrician :smile:

Good luck :biggrin:

Original post by burgerrr

Hey to you too :hubba:

Everyone gets excited when they first discover that list :banana:
Ye...
I'm looking at Cambridge, Cardiff, UCL, Imperial etc. (Not Oxford though)..

Good choices :biggrin:

Nahh, that's also going to bring my application down a bit. I'm taking Maths Mechanics, Chemistry, Physics and Economics.
wbu?

Hmm, Cambridge and UCL dont offer straight aeronautics, thats general. I would like general, but I dont like Chemical or electronic, so I'm not sure?

I'm taking similar A-levels to you: Maths, Physics, Economics and Geography. My backup being F.Maths but my dad isn't toohappy about that.

What soughta' stuff you putting in your PS, I have a few stuff lined up..

If you like boats so much, why not do Engineering?
If you like boats so much, why not do Engineering?

I prefer the idea of being Officer on a ship rather than the engineering aspect of it really. Plus I'm crap at Physics. :tongue:
Reply 4018
If you invent a new groundbreaking product, please let me have one for free instead of forking out hundreds of pounds for it! :tongue:

I just realised how much I loved History, so I'm not going to settle for anything less just because I didn't achieve an A* at GCSE level. :biggrin:

Korea hmm? North or South? :biggrin: Nah, I kid. I know it's far in the future, but you should really consider creating a blog about your gap year when it comes. I'd love to see the pictures! :biggrin:

Sure! :wink:

That's brilliant to hear, what kind of career are you hoping to go into then? Teaching? :smile:
Hmm, Cambridge and UCL dont offer straight aeronautics, thats general. I would like general, but I dont like Chemical or electronic, so I'm not sure?

I'm taking similar A-levels to you: Maths, Physics, Economics and Geography. My backup being F.Maths but my dad isn't toohappy about that.

What soughta' stuff you putting in your PS, I have a few stuff lined up..

Marine engineering?

Sorr thing I quoted the wrong post but I meant to quote you nonetheless.