Spoiler

I hope so :colondollar: I might do some practice essays soon :yes:

Original post by iCiaran
They just enjoy not having exams while we do xD

Good luck with yours anyway :smile:

Tell them to stop being complacent xD
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
I dunno if it's just me but I found D1 and find D2 so much easier than the other maths modules. You're pretty unlucky not to be able to do them. So what maths modules you done so far?
I hear S2 is pretty easy, although I'm scared that I'm gonna struggle with it. You're doing solid subjects though.

I've done C1, C2, S1 so far. I'm doing C3, C4, S2 this summer. I don't think Stats is particularly hard, I just don't enjoy stats. It's really, really repetitive.

I'm also doing an EngLit exam, but I have to do almost nothing for preparation, just learn a few criticisms.
Reply 602
Original post by Llewellyn
I've done C1, C2, S1 so far. I'm doing C3, C4, S2 this summer. I don't think Stats is particularly hard, I just don't enjoy stats. It's really, really repetitive.

I'm also doing an EngLit exam, but I have to do almost nothing for preparation, just learn a few criticisms.

I think most people don't like stats that much, judging by my school anyway, most of the marks seem to rely on typing very long things that are just the same thing repeated with slightly different numbers into your calculator and not pressing a wrong button...

We also recently found out that the teacher that taught us S1 got an E in further maths which is kind of discouraging xD

S1, M1 and C3 in the summer for me.
Reply 603
Original post by chickenonsteroids
:zomg: :zomg: :zomg:

Spoiler

I hope so :colondollar: I might do some practice essays soon :yes:

Tell them to stop being complacent xD

:rofl:
I wish! Speaking is my weakest skill, or at least the one I am least confident with :cry: :nooo:
Know so. :yep: Which subject?
Original post by Etoile
:rofl:
I wish! Speaking is my weakest skill, or at least the one I am least confident with :cry: :nooo:
Know so. :yep: Which subject?

Speaking is difficult because I revert to English grammar very quickly but luckily I've become more conscious about it :yes:

Why aren't you as confident with your speaking?

Probably English and history :sigh: my hand might fall off
Reply 605
Speaking is difficult because I revert to English grammar very quickly but luckily I've become more conscious about it :yes:

Why aren't you as confident with your speaking?

Probably English and history :sigh: my hand might fall off

That is good :smile: Just word order, or..?
Because there is more pressure to think quickly and you can't take it back if you made a mistake :tongue: Also there is so much unknown because you can't predict what your teacher will ask :nooo: Hopefully after this summer I will be more confident though.
Ouch! Have fun :tongue: Are they long?
Original post by iCiaran
I think most people don't like stats that much, judging by my school anyway, most of the marks seem to rely on typing very long things that are just the same thing repeated with slightly different numbers into your calculator and not pressing a wrong button...

We also recently found out that the teacher that taught us S1 got an E in further maths which is kind of discouraging xD

S1, M1 and C3 in the summer for me.

Uhhh... well I suppose that's the definition of discouraging. Could have been worse though.. just.

To be fair, S2 is more about just number crunching. Some of the answers require thought, sometimes. But I feel like stats is quite separate from pure and mechanics (which seem much more similar, with similar thought processes). But that's not a rant I will start... now :lol:

You may have dodged a proverbial bullet with C4. It's the first school maths exam where I've ever had to be conscious with time-management. But then, it's also the first school maths exam I've found interesting or challenging. It pulls on a lot of knowledge from C1>C3 and also adds a fair bit on top, which is quite fun :smile: well, for WJEC anyway.

Good luck to you anyways :biggrin:
Original post by Etoile
That is good :smile: Just word order, or..?
Because there is more pressure to think quickly and you can't take it back if you made a mistake :tongue: Also there is so much unknown because you can't predict what your teacher will ask :nooo: Hopefully after this summer I will be more confident though.
Ouch! Have fun :tongue: Are they long?

It's the cases actually! I've managed to decrease my word order mistakes (I talk to myself in German in my head ... sometimes :colonhash:) but changing things to dative etc is fairly difficult.

I've started doing a little bit of German grammar every day because I need to improve my accuracy and for some reason my adjective ending use suck so bad even though I remember the table and everything :lol:

yes they are :no: history is like 50 minutes then english is an 1 hour and 45 minutes :tongue:
Reply 608
It's the cases actually! I've managed to decrease my word order mistakes (I talk to myself in German in my head ... sometimes :colonhash:) but changing things to dative etc is fairly difficult.

I've started doing a little bit of German grammar every day because I need to improve my accuracy and for some reason my adjective ending use suck so bad even though I remember the table and everything :lol:

yes they are :no: history is like 50 minutes then english is an 1 hour and 45 minutes :tongue:

That is good! Dative with or without prepositions? It always makes sense when it's without if you imagine it implies a 'to' :h:
Doing it regularly is a really good idea too! That's where I need to improve too :colondollar: I do it fine when I make the sentences myself but for some reason as soon as it's in a past paper I can no longer make adjectives agree >.< the frying pan rule!
That is a lot of writing :zomg: Do it and have a well deserved break :tongue: How do you break down the time for English? Ours is 2 hours so we have an hour for each section which makes more sense :L
Original post by Etoile
That is good! Dative with or without prepositions? It always makes sense when it's without if you imagine it implies a 'to' :h:
Doing it regularly is a really good idea too! That's where I need to improve too :colondollar: I do it fine when I make the sentences myself but for some reason as soon as it's in a past paper I can no longer make adjectives agree >.< the frying pan rule!
That is a lot of writing :zomg: Do it and have a well deserved break :tongue: How do you break down the time for English? Ours is 2 hours so we have an hour for each section which makes more sense :L

It's just in general while speaking, I remember it while writing for the most part but speaking it just flies out of my head :lol:

For English I spend 20 - 30 minutes reading and analysing the poem and then write a load of rubbish for the time remaining :tongue:
Reply 610
Has anyone got any exam clashes? I always feel sorry for people when I'm walking out of the hall and they have to stay and sit another exam straight afterwards...

Uhhh... well I suppose that's the definition of discouraging. Could have been worse though.. just.

To be fair, S2 is more about just number crunching. Some of the answers require thought, sometimes. But I feel like stats is quite separate from pure and mechanics (which seem much more similar, with similar thought processes). But that's not a rant I will start... now :lol:

You may have dodged a proverbial bullet with C4. It's the first school maths exam where I've ever had to be conscious with time-management. But then, it's also the first school maths exam I've found interesting or challenging. It pulls on a lot of knowledge from C1>C3 and also adds a fair bit on top, which is quite fun :smile: well, for WJEC anyway.

Good luck to you anyways :biggrin:

We have 3 teachers and the other 2 more than make up for it, one of them is insanely good at maths, he doesn't use a calculator most of the time because he can do it in his head quicker than he can type it in... and he does binomial expansion etc in his head with no apparent effort at all, no working, just give him a question and he writes the answer on the board straight away xD

I'm pretty happy we don't have to do C4 until Jan, although I've heard for MEI most of it is expanding on what we know already, rather than introducing any crazy new ideas :P

Looking forward to the D modules, everyone seems to find them easy and they're basically computing anyway :smile:

Decision isn't much better, if anything it's more repetitive. :s-smilie: As much as I liked the things we were learning, I did spend most of my decision lessons writing programs on the calculator to do the work/core 2. Possibly not the best use of my time...

Original post by iCiaran
Has anyone got any exam clashes? I always feel sorry for people when I'm walking out of the hall and they have to stay and sit another exam straight afterwards...

We have 3 teachers and the other 2 more than make up for it, one of them is insanely good at maths, he doesn't use a calculator most of the time because he can do it in his head quicker than he can type it in... and he does binomial expansion etc in his head with no apparent effort at all, no working, just give him a question and he writes the answer on the board straight away xD

I had FP1 and S1 at the same time last year, FP2, C3 and G492 on the same day in January, and I have S2 and M2 at the same time this summer. Fun times for me!

I test myself, to see how far into past papers/lessons I can go without using the calculator. I really hate it though when people gawk at me when I do things in my head that they have to do on a calculator, but in reality, the sum are really really simple. I think it's a shame how reliant upon calculators the people in my class have become, but that may just be me >.<

Definitely finished C3 in Jan only using the calculator <5 times. :colone:

Ooh well good luck on getting your A* in Maths. I actually quite enjoy stats, but it's just a bit irritating whereas Decision is pretty basic.

AS EngLit ?
Reply 613
Original post by Oromis263
Decision isn't much better, if anything it's more repetitive. :s-smilie: As much as I liked the things we were learning, I did spend most of my decision lessons writing programs on the calculator to do the work/core 2. Possibly not the best use of my time...

I had FP1 and S1 at the same time last year, FP2, C3 and G492 on the same day in January, and I have S2 and M2 at the same time this summer. Fun times for me!

I test myself, to see how far into past papers/lessons I can go without using the calculator. I really hate it though when people gawk at me when I do things in my head that they have to do on a calculator, but in reality, the sum are really really simple. I think it's a shame how reliant upon calculators the people in my class have become, but that may just be me >.<

Definitely finished C3 in Jan only using the calculator <5 times. :colone:

Ouch, I never understood why the put maths exams at the same time, I mean most people must be doing pretty much the same modules at the same time so why not spread them out....

I'm pretty quick without a calculator, one of the fastest in my class but I'd never 100% trust myself to not even check what I got with a calculator just in case. People are too reliant though, people suffer a bit on C1 because of it though, should be more no calc modules...
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Ooh well good luck on getting your A* in Maths. I actually quite enjoy stats, but it's just a bit irritating whereas Decision is pretty basic.

AS EngLit ?

Yes EngLit AS, should be interesting.

My school doesn't cash in anything until the end of year 13 (not even AS), so I guess the pressures off a little (except for Cambridge). Good luck to you too though :smile:

Original post by Oromis263

Fair enough, I'm slightly :grumble: because all I hear from other people is that Decision is easy. I find almost every maths exam up to C4 and maybe S2 to be way, way, way too repetitive. I see maths as problem solving, to have it reduced to "learn the steps to answer this question, you don't have to understand why, you just have to do this" is awful. Even GCSE had a bit of variety... So I'd probably complain about any module combination. I prefer mechanics because I can picture what I'm doing, it makes sense, it seems more like maths. Statistics is just learning a load of rules and assumptions and applying them to (very similar and repetitive) situations. I think Stats could be interesting at University, but the boards have stripped away any of the interesting (aka hard) parts of it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Etoile
Going to a German school in the mornings and some kind of activities in the afternoons (in the insurance/health form it asks if I am up for swimming, cycling and hiking :L), staying with a host family. A German school! :ahee:
I need to decide if I'd rather write a dissertation or have a social life this summer. Oh who am I kidding, I'd far rather do the work :lol:
I'm sure you don't play at all badly :tongue: Cool, you are such a normal person! :lol:

Oh, that sounds so good! It'll be such good practice. :awesome:
Wise choice. :lol:
Haha, I really do but I don't mind - it's still fun. :biggrin: Really? Never been seen as that normal before - I'm pretty much the nerdiest person in my school. :tongue:
Original post by Etoile
Awesome! I do French, German and Italian at the moment. :colone: The courses at the language centre look good too, they have modern Greek! :ahee:

:biggrin: I would LOVE to learn Italian and Greek!! J'adore parler le francais et l'espagnol aussi :smile: which college you looking at?
It really isn't anything to boast about :dontknow: they're going to have a lot of exams in the space of roughly 2 weeks. In addition, that's on everything they've done over the two years.

Yea, you're totally right :biggrin: IB exam schedule is crazy, I'd rather have some of them this year... Well, I had my Polish IOC, at least something...

Who's going to apply to Medicine from here? :biggrin:
Reply 618
I'm applying for Law at Downing or King's College.
Doing the IB (HL: Biology, Chemistry, Economics and SL: Maths, English Lit and French B) :smile:
Original post by bdockery
I'm applying for Law at Downing or King's College.
Doing the IB (HL: Biology, Chemistry, Economics and SL: Maths, English Lit and French B) :smile:

You're applying for Law and you have Biology and Chemistry at HL?! Wow... :biggrin: how's that? And why such a combination if you don't want to do a degree in anything science related?

Latest

Trending

Trending