The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What does a (stereo)typical English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish person look like?

Scroll to see replies

I love how all the stereotypical pictures are male :lol: HOW DO WE BREED?!
Scottish:

English:

Welsh:

Northern Irish:

Rep. Irish:

Reply 22
has anyone noticed how many bald English men there are? they all look pretty much the same, to me anyway
Reply 23
English:

Welsh:

Scottish:

Irish:
(edited 12 years ago)
We're far more ethnically diverse than the aforementioned countries, so it follows we don't have a stereotypical image of ourselves. Most people around the world probrbaly just think of a white person, though. (maybe with a large 'tache too?)
(edited 12 years ago)
Pretty sure the stereotypes are;
Scottish - ginger, wear kits
SOUTHERN Irish - either ginger or dark hair, usually drunk
English- well, it's your 'typical' English rose, isn't it? Darkish hair, pale with rosy cheeks.
Welsh - I dunno. I think a lot of people imagine them stocky/well-built because they have a reputation for being good at rugby.
Northern Irish - haven't a clue since this is where I'm from. Don't think we have a look so much as everyone expects us to be really chavvy because of our accents and almost violent because of the troubles. So maybe the image is tracksuit and a bomb in our arms.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by TheHansa
x

This may have been pointed out to you but George Galloway is very, very Scottish.
Irish: round open faces, freckles, curly hair, pale skin.
Original post by Norton1
This may have been pointed out to you but George Galloway is very, very Scottish.

Actually his mum is irish.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Pretty sure the stereotypes are;
Scottish - ginger, wear kits
SOUTHERN Irish - either ginger or dark hair, usually drunk
English- well, it's your 'typical' English rose, isn't it? Darkish hair, pale with rosy cheeks.
Welsh - I dunno. I think a lot of people imagine them stocky/well-built because they have a reputation for being good at rugby.
Northern Irish - haven't a clue since this is where I'm from. Don't think we have a look so much as everyone expects us to be really chavvy because of our accents and almost violent because of the troubles. So maybe the image is tracksuit and a bomb in our arms.

Haha, this is me, everyday, with my bomb.

I actually get a lot more potato jokes than bomb ones, people actually think we still only eat potatoes every day. They also don't seem to differentiate between the north and the south.
I think British people have a look. I can't quite pin it down, but you can always tell the Brits abroad. :tongue:
Original post by maz :)
has anyone noticed how many bald English men there are? they all look pretty much the same, to me anyway

Loool it's genetic
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Scottish:

English:

Welsh:

Northern Irish:

Rep. Irish:

Apparently white Irish people tend have long thin noses compared with white people from the other side of the Irish sea:tongue: Thats how you tell the difference :colondollar: I was in Ireland few weeks ago and its true! Hilarious how almost every person had that trait.
Original post by Popppppy
Haha, this is me, everyday, with my bomb.

I actually get a lot more potato jokes than bomb ones, people actually think we still only eat potatoes every day. They also don't seem to differentiate between the north and the south.

OP certainly didn't make the effort to differentiate.
I mean, I am honestly shocked when the other Brits don't know there's a difference (not saying all of them don't, but still). If people who live literally 45 minites away don't know the difference then how can we expect anyone else to? :/ Explaining the Northern/Southern difference to an American is near-impossible, so I've just taken to saying 'I'm from Northern Ireland. I am not Irish. I am British. There's two different parts - like North and South America' which usually gets it across... (I keep getting asked when I'm on holiday because 'oh my god, your accent's adorable!')
Reply 34
The Irish look seems to be very very very pale with light coloured eyes but generaly darker hair of course there are afew gingers but beeping part Irish and most of my being completely or part Irish none of them are ginger. There also seems to be a particular shade of blue eyes that is common in people of irish decent it's a very light piercing blue. Green eyes are also relavitly common
Reply 35
English

Scottish

Welsh

Irish

(edited 12 years ago)
The non-British people I know stereotype the British look as:

- extremely pale
- freckles
- ginger/light brown hair
- super posh OR chav
Reply 37
Original post by -starlight-
The non-British people I know stereotype the British look as:

- extremely pale
- freckles
- ginger/light brown hair
- super posh OR chav

Ethnic stereotyping ftw! Really looking forward to being a minority nationally, not just in London, Birmingham, etc. I'm sure you'll treat us with the same amount of political correctness when british people are the minority, right? No resentment? It's gonna be fun! :colone:
Reply 38
White?
Reply 39
I honestly don't know why or what gives them away, but English people are very easy to spot for some reason. I can't put my finger on what it is about their appearance, but before they open their mouths I can guess nearly every time that they're English. I haven't noticed this so much with other countries. Bit bizarre.

Latest

Trending

Trending