The Student Room Group

Declining Offers

Is it just a personal issue of mine, to feel a bit of sadness when one decline an offer of admission?.

Today I have been declining and I had that sensation :frown:.

Please feel free to comment.....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You were declining in order to take up something else (UCL?) though I presume?
Reply 2
Original post by Econla
Is it just a personal issue of mine, to feel a bit of sadness when one decline an offer of admission?.

Today I have been declining and I had that sensation :frown:.

Please feel free to comment.....

:hugs:

Spoiler

Reply 3
I felt sad too...:colondollar: not just you x
Reply 4
Original post by Akkuz
:hugs:

hahahha......yeah, now I'll have to change my nick to "the sentimental" or something like that I think :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by jb1206
I felt sad too...:colondollar: not just you x

See!!...the thing is that with some options maybe you dreamed or imagine yourself there and you put all your effort in your SOP; they made their effort too by reviewing your application; sent you the a warm offer......and now you say to them: sorry but I have a better one :frown::smile:.

Strange feelings
Reply 6
Original post by sj27
You were declining in order to take up something else (UCL?) though I presume?

Yeah....all the suffering for UCL :angry::s-smilie::banana:
Reply 7
Original post by Econla
See!!...the thing is that with some options maybe you dreamed or imagine yourself there and you put all your effort in your SOP; they made their effort too by reviewing your application; sent you the a warm offer......and now you say to them: sorry but I have a better one :frown::smile:.

Strange feelings

Yeah thats exactly how I felt :colondollar: so guilty...lol
Reply 8
Well, they know you could do it, and they give out more offers than places available.
I did not decline any offers yet, I want to keep my options opened. Only one expired because I did not pay the deposit (Bristol). I am still somewhat unsure, esp. between Oxford and LSE, both have pros and cons, and Edinburgh is still a good back up. Who knows what may happen, they keep people "waitlisted" why can't we keep them waitlisted, too?
Reply 9
I declined Edinburgh. I really liked the programme, specially because they have interesting electives in finance, but in front of UCL by overall and department ranking, mathematical rigour, potential placement both for Phd or industry + location, it was hard for me to accept Edin and decline UCL, but if I had not been accepted to UCL I would have taken the scottish programme.
Reply 10
you think the admission team will be sad when they reject your application???

Hence what for be sad when declining an offer?

It is how the world works.
If it was going to make me sad then I wouldn't decline it.
Reply 12
Spare a thought for those having to decline offers because they can't raise funding (seems to be a number in the Oxbridge forums) rather than because they have something better...that's something to feel sad about.
Reply 13
I think it depends on the interaction you had with a particular adcom. In my case, there was a special issue with the application so one of the departments was very kind with me, in fact there was a personalized email announcing me that I was accepted (this department don't do this) and it was before than UCL (which I accepted), so I was very happy when I heard the new.

But on other side, I can say that UCL gave me an offer in just 4 weeks, cold but still an offer, so they were very kind too :smile:.

Now, as sj27 says declining for not having the money.....that is sad!!!!......
Reply 14
Original post by Sternumator
If it was going to make me sad then I wouldn't decline it.

What, would you accept it?, just to avoid the sadness?:curious:
Original post by Econla
What, would you accept it?, just to avoid the sadness?:curious:

Well if I had a better alternative then I would go with the that. If that was the case then why would I be sad about rejecting it? I am doing something better than what I am missing out on so there is no reason to be sad. Thats like having a choice between winning £1million and £2million, picking £2million and then being sad about losing the £1million. And if I didn't have a better alternative then I would accept it. My point is you shouldn't be sad about a decision you make because if you have a decision then you can always pick the best option.
Reply 16
Well if I had a better alternative then I would go with the that. If that was the case then why would I be sad about rejecting it? I am doing something better than what I am missing out on so there is no reason to be sad. Thats like having a choice between winning £1million and £2million, picking £2million and then being sad about losing the £1million. And if I didn't have a better alternative then I would accept it. My point is you shouldn't be sad about a decision you make because if you have a decision then you can always pick the best option.

May be that I am doubting now of my good criterion to choose:confused:
Reply 17
Original post by Econla
I declined Edinburgh. I really liked the programme, specially because they have interesting electives in finance, but in front of UCL by overall and department ranking, mathematical rigour, potential placement both for Phd or industry + location, it was hard for me to accept Edin and decline UCL, but if I had not been accepted to UCL I would have taken the scottish programme.

Actually from what I could gather UCL has better academic reputation, but when it comes to industry Edinburgh is preferred by most employers. So, I guess, for PhD UCL is better choice, but if one wants to get a job Edinburgh may be better, esp. in Finance, since they have specific Econ Finance option.

Another consideration is cost - London is a lot more expensive to live in than Edinburgh.

Oh, and regarding "kindness" - Edinburgh is indeed extremely kind and caring, responding to emails and communicating. Again, from the information I could find UCL is ranked lower by students in terms of satisfaction, and communicating with both confirmed it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18

It is not always as clear cut as 1 million and 2 million. Sometimes it is apples and oranges, - which one is better? Who knows?

Also, do not forget that applying is not like picking a lottery ticket - you have to do some work, you emotionally invest into it, you write SOP... sometimes you communicate with department, make personal contact... It is hard to just through it all off the window.
Reply 19
Original post by janjanmmm
Actually from what I could gather UCL has better academic reputation, but when it comes to industry Edinburgh is preferred by most employers. So, I guess, for PhD UCL is better choice, but if one wants to get a job Edinburgh may be better, esp. in Finance, since they have specific Econ Finance option.

Another consideration is cost - London is a lot more expensive to live in than Edinburgh.

Oh, and regarding "kindness" - Edinburgh is indeed extremely kind and caring, responding to emails and communicating. Again, from the information I could find UCL is ranked lower by students in terms of satisfaction, and communicating with both confirmed it.

Well, in my personal case finishing the programme I am 70/30 between continuing my career in IB and going for a PhD. If this 30% increase during the time I study in UCL and then I decide to go for the last, I believe UCL is better option than Edinburgh. On the other hand, if I choose the industry afterwards, giving just location factor, UCL is better (e.g: walk 10 blocks and have your interview....they need to reschedule 30 minutes before??...no problem).

As you say, it is true, Edinburgh has more finance options than UCL, but only two more or perhaps only one.

The programme in UCL offers a course called "Topics in Money and Finance" which is a typicall financial economics course, that could be similar to the "Asset Pricing" one in Edinburgh.

It doesn't offer a course in "Corporate Finance" and this would be the only one subject that they are at disadvantage with Edinburgh.

The other finance course that Edinburgh offers is "International Finance". For this one a UCL student could take Birkbeck's "International Economics" where you see almost the same content or as an alternative you have a course in Macroeconomic Policies which is a topic highly appreciated in the financial industry to understand potential outcomes of economic decisions taken by relevant authorities and how they can impact to agents playing in the financial markets. Now if you want something "new" for financial industry and that is getting more relevant day after day, you can take a course on "Behavioural Economics" to which if you add some econometrics, you can make some nice forecasting models.

Quick Reply

Latest