The Student Room Group

UPenn (Wharton) vs LSE?

I got accepted into Wharton (UPenn) and LSE for Maths and Econ. I've visited both and they both have there pros and cons.

So this is really down to a "where do you want to work" in that case:

-Singapore
-Hong Kong
-Japan
-China
-Australia

Which university has a better reputation in these places?
Reply 1
Both are awesome. Very hard to differentiate between the two tbh, you're set either way. I can't really comment on reputation over there though what I will say is that LSE will be very well known in east Asia
Reply 2
I think LSE > UPenn in that region.
LSE.

Much, much cheaper. For the difference in reputation (hardly anything), you may as well save a few thousand, awesome parties n stuff.
Reply 4
Got this from Wikipedia about destinations for undergrads:

'Over 50% of Wharton's typical undergraduate class of 500 students go into investment banking with the majority employed at a bulge bracket firm earning a typical base salary of $70,000, a typical signing bonus of $10,000, and a year-end bonus for first year analysts as high as $100,000.[13][14][15][16][17][18] The next most common industry after investment banking is consulting, with firms like McKinsey & Co., Boston Consulting Group, Bain & Company and many other firms hiring approximately 30% of the students. A number of students also enter the buy-side with offers from top hedge funds such as Citadel LLC or private equity firms such as Silver Lake Partners or Blackstone Group.[15] A number of students, particularly those in the M&T Program, enter the technology industry with offers from employers such as Google and Microsoft.'

LSE in no way can match this.

Lol, being negged by LSE fanboys it seems. I'm not hating on LSE, all I'm saying is that Wharton statistically will set you in a better stead for applying to those industries. Part of this is down to the nature of Wharton's course (it's a lot more business/career orientated than LSE Maths and Econ) and its exclusivity (only 500 Wharton grads each year instead of 1000's of LSE grads)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
You get a lot of people saying LSE because it's the economics subsection of an english forum but Wharton has a much better reputation than LSE in the world of business.

If you want to work elsewhere than the city go for UPenn.
Reply 6
Beside from the 'Where do I want to work?' question, you should also ask 'What exactly do I want to study?'

Wharton is a true Business school, and you can take some really cool classes (I think something like 43% of your degree can be completed by taking classes outside of Wharton?); while at LSE you will take mainly classes in Maths and Econ.

But congratulations on getting both of these offers! Very impressive :smile:

Also, if I was in your position, I'd choose Wharton (but obviously don't let that affect your decision).
I don't think people on TSR are familiar with Wharton if they claim LSE is better, but yeah Wharton kicks LSE's ass to be honest.
Reply 8
There is a significant LSE (and Warwick for that matter) bias in TSR. Other than their econ department, most of their courses don't deserve the hype they receive here; most choose LSE because of the supposed higher salaries. People choose lse over imp for subjects like maths, which is quite laughable if you consider the academic strength of the two department.

Don't use this forum to make a decision.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by twig
There is a significant LSE (and Warwick for that matter) bias in TSR. Other than their econ department, most of their courses don't deserve the hype they receive here; most choose LSE because of the supposed higher salaries. People choose lse over imp for subjects like maths, which is quite laughable if you consider the academic strength of the two department.

Don't use this forum to make a decision.

LSE doesn't offer a straight maths course, only with/and economics... so firstly, if people did choose LSE over Imperial in this field it'd probably be for a very valid reason, and secondly your point is nonsensical due to the differences in the courses. And by and large LSE's is very strong in every area. In this case though Wharton is the winner if the OP wants to go into high finance/consultancy/business.
Reply 10
Original post by RocknRap
LSE doesn't offer a straight maths course, only with/and economics... so firstly, if people did choose LSE over Imperial in this field it'd probably be for a very valid reason, and secondly your point is nonsensical due to the differences in the courses. And by and large LSE's is very strong in every area. In this case though Wharton is the winner if the OP wants to go into high finance/consultancy/business.

But I still think LSE's maths course are not on the same level as ox/cam/war/imp.

I know that there is only maths w/and eocn; yet many applicants choose to make straight maths applications elsewhere (e.g. places like Warwick, which offer both maths, maths & econ course). They apply because of the name and a relatively lower offer (e.g. no admissions tests). For example, it is possible for the Maths and/w econ students and Accounting and Finance students to share 75% of the same classes in first year; which when compared to other maths courses show a lack of focus, and (i may be wrong here) hence does not cover the same volume of maths content. Departments like A&F, econ, and some others are excellent though, as expected.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply