The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Only one English university other than Oxfordbridge has succeeded in propelling someone to the highest position in the land... thus the answer is undeniably..... The University of Birmingham.

It was Neville Chamberlain though, so maybe that counts as minus points.

Edit: Sorry all, Freudian slip slightly undermined the joke there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Tsunami2011
I apologise for my mistake, I could have sworn that I've seen Durham claim to be the third oldest university in England:s-smilie:

Durham has a reputation for attracting a certain type of Oxbridge reject, which I'm sure you're aware of. I don't think that claim would hold true anymore, Durham is just one in a long list of destinations for Oxbridge rejects.

Yes it does claim. But so do about a few other universities. There's a wiki page on it. It depends on how you look at the information.

This is true. I've been subjected to more Durham propganda than say from Bristol or Warwick. :colone:

<3 x

EDIT: Why the neg?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MancStudent098
Only one English university other than Oxford has succeeded in propelling someone to the highest position in the land... thus the answer is undeniably..... The University of Birmingham.

It was Neville Chamberlain though, so maybe that counts as minus points.

Baldwin attended Birmingham (before it attained university status) and Cambridge.

Campbell Bannerman attended Cambridge (he also attended university in Scotland).

Balfour attended Cambridge

Many prime ministers are claimed by City University which has taken over the Inns of Court School of Law.
Durham?
Reply 24
Seems like this is a duel between Warwick and Durham, right now Warwick has the lead

At 100 votes:
Warwick 26
Durham 23
St Andrews 15
Endinburgh 12
(edited 12 years ago)
Surely it depends on the discipline at hand?
Reply 26
Durham overall but of course it varies according to subject matter. :rolleyes:
Reply 27
Original post by Sam Walters
Surely it depends on the discipline at hand?

Indeed it depends on the discipline, however in overall terms it is Warwick :rolleyes:
Durham, Bristol and Warwick, I'd say - can't pick one of them.
Original post by Hippysnake
Harvard.

You just made my day :biggrin:
Original post by Spairos
Which university is the best in UK after Oxbridge according to you (excluding London based universities) in overall terms?

EDIT: I voted Warwick for the following reasons:
The University of Warwick is one of only five universities never to have been rated outside the top ten in terms of teaching excellence and research. Entrance is highly competitive, with around nine applicants per place. Warwick is the second most-targeted university in the UK by top employers.
It also falls within the top 50 universities of the world. (However it is not based in London, so its preferable for people having related preferences)

Durham and Warwick are tied, Durham being the older, more *traditionally* prestigious, but Warwick the up-and-coming beast of a university. There's no choosing between them until you choose a course, and even then they're so evenly tied that I can't honestly vote on the poll :frown:
Where's Bristol ?
Original post by shyopstv
They don't. Unless by "they" you mean Durham students in which case it doesn't really count.

Awkward how they do though. And by "they" I mean most people.
Original post by Like a BAWS
Where's Bristol ?

Durham and Warwick are clearly better so there's no need for it to be on there.
Reply 34
Bristol... ?
Reply 35
Original post by HuyTaa
Bristol... ?

He meant where's Bristol on the poll. I'm not even sure why OP put Manchester and Lancaster there tbh over Bristol and Exeter.
Original post by Junaid96

WHat makes you say that they're clearly better ?
Reply 37
Original post by Junaid96

I recall son looking at five universities having failed the Cambridge interview. They were Sheffield, Nottingham, Leicester, Warwick and Birmingham. He was not too keen on Sheffield, hated Warwick, Liked Leicester and Birmingham but eventually chose Nottingham, He has never regretted it.
Lancaster, 'cos I firmed it :biggrin:
Original post by olddad
I recall son looking at five universities having failed the Cambridge interview. They were Sheffield, Nottingham, Leicester, Warwick and Birmingham. He was not too keen on Sheffield, hated Warwick, Liked Leicester and Birmingham but eventually chose Nottingham, He has never regretted it.

That depends on when your son went to university, though. To be honest at the moment not many people applying to Cambridge would choose Sheffield, Nottingham etc. as that is a huge drop in standard of university. The majority will be going for something like Cambridge, UCL/LSE/Imperial, Warwick, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh etc. and then something like Leicester as a reserve choice.

Latest

Trending

Trending