Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Surrey Accommodation

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Heya,

I was just wondering what accommodation people would reccommend for Surrey University?? What Band room? On campus or Off campus? Single sex or mixed sex flats??

Thanks x
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You already know how I feel about single sexed flats (most people feel the same way), so I won't mention it again

I'd recommend on campus above all else, manor park is only a 15 minute walk away, but that can really add up when you have to do it every time you want to get to and from campus for lectures, see friends, go to the union (walking back at 3am really sucks!). The rooms aren't nicer in themselves at manor park, but they are all en-suite, so if you really must have an en-suite room, applying for manor park is the best way to get one, as most people want to be on campus for the obvious reasons.

Band C and Band D are the two main choices, band C being a standard room, and band D having an en-suite, but costing £20 a week more for it. I'd recommend a band C, as saving yourself a few seconds walk to the toilet isn't worth £20 a week. But it will differ person to person. Just bear in mind that most people claim they "need" an en-suite, and 3 weeks into term are regretting it as sharing showers/toilets is never anywhere near as bad as people imagine it to be beforehand. Toilets and showers are in separate rooms, and cleaned every other day, plus in all my time in Band C rooms I've never once had to queue to use one, as there's a good number to go around.

Hope that helps
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd recommend Band B. Yes it can get quite cramped and yes the buildings are falling apart, however for £80 a week it's worth it. I don't really see the point in going for Band C for an extra £10 a week when you have access to more or less the same facilities, and your location probably won't be as nice (Band B rooms are in quieter part of campus than most Band C accommodation). Band C rooms are nicer, don't get me wrong, but personally I'd rather have £40 more a month.

Don't go for Manor Park. Everybody there seems to moan about how quiet it is and how little they see their flatmates. So yeah, personally I think Band B represents the best value for money, but I'm sure many would disagree as admittedly the Band B buildings are in questionable condition .
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, which buildings are the Band B rooms in? I'll be in my 4th year this year and I don't think I've ever actually been to one! :O
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1909)
    Out of curiosity, which buildings are the Band B rooms in? I'll be in my 4th year this year and I don't think I've ever actually been to one! :O
    They're in Guildford Court, the little red-ish-coloured tiled buildings behind the big stag. Rumour has it, however, that in a couple of years they're going to be knocked down. One of the five terraces has already been deemed unfit too dangerous to live in and has had to be sealed off . Still, they're good value for money and in a nicer location so I'd still recommend them.

They're these ones here (if the link works) - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=guil...id=po-19569678
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    From what you've heard and your own experiences, do most people get their first choice of accommodatiom??
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fward)
    From what you've heard and your own experiences, do most people get their first choice of accommodatiom??
    It depends where you apply for, as some are more more in demand than others.

If you apply for on campus band C, or off campus anything, you'll be near enough guaranteed to get it. However if you apply for on campus band D, then you've got less chance, as this is the one that around 70% of people apply for, and has far fewer rooms as most of the on campus rooms are band C.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends where you apply for, as some are more more in demand than others.

If you apply for on campus band C, or off campus anything, you'll be near enough guaranteed to get it. However if you apply for on campus band D, then you've got less chance, as this is the one that around 70% of people apply for, and has far fewer rooms as most of the on campus rooms are band C.
    Is it possible to apply for the same band on and off campus?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fward)
    You can apply for on and off campus Band D, however I would not recommend it.

Band D's are massively oversubscribed, in general, both on and off campus. I still quote the statistic I was given a just over a year ago. 8 applicants for each Band D room, many people will be disappointed. If you put down Band D's for both your first and second choice, then you may then have put down Band C as your 3rd (or if you are desperate for an en-suite, you might have Band E as your 3rd). This then puts you behind all those who 2nd(/3rd) preferences is a Band C and behind those whose first preference is a Band C. Then you have to consider slipping down to Band B or A, your 4th/5th choices. I know of this happening to people.

I would recommend if you really want an en-suite that you simply put it as your first choice (on or off campus) and then continue from there.

Side note; hold **** there is now Band F's... god dammit why -.-
    http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodatio...ooms/index.htm
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fward)
    Yeah you can do, but what The Beaver said is true. The only thing I'll add is that usually, off campus band Ds are less subscribed than on campus band Ds.

(Original post by The Beaver)

Band D's are massively oversubscribed, in general, both on and off campus. I still quote the statistic I was given a just over a year ago. 8 applicants for each Band D room, many people will be disappointed. If you put down Band D's for both your first and second choice, then you may then have put down Band C as your 3rd (or if you are desperate for an en-suite, you might have Band E as your 3rd). This then puts you behind all those who 2nd(/3rd) preferences is a Band C and behind those whose first preference is a Band C. Then you have to consider slipping down to Band B or A, your 4th/5th choices. I know of this happening to people.

I would recommend if you really want an en-suite that you simply put it as your first choice (on or off campus) and then continue from there.

Side note; hold **** there is now Band F's... god dammit why -.-
    http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodatio...ooms/index.htm
    I've seen those being built, but had just assumed they would be more band Ds, or possibly Cs. I wonder how many people will be okay paying £173.50 a week!?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any student nurses or paramedics? I applied for normal accommodation but a bit confused about what happens when we go on placements? Do we get to live in nursing accommodation or something?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

So for example would i apply for 1) Band D on/off campus 2)Band C on campus 3)Band B on campus ect??

I've seen those being built, but had just assumed they would be more band Ds, or possibly Cs. I wonder how many people will be okay paying £173.50 a week!?
    Only the rich buggers ...there is no way i could afford Band F, even if they are bloomin nice rooms
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fward)
    So for example would i apply for 1) Band D on/off campus 2)Band C on campus 3)Band B on campus ect??

Only the rich buggers ...there is no way i could afford Band F, even if they are bloomin nice rooms
    They're all seperate options, for example your list to choose from may be like this:

"Please choose 3 from the options below, in order of preference:

Band B - On Campus
    Band C - On Campus
    Band D - On Campus
    Band E - On Campus
    Band D - Off Campus Manor Park
    Band D - Off Campus Hazel Farm
    Band F - Off Campus Manor Park"

So you can choose any of those in order of which you would like most. It's then lucky dip as to who gets what, there's no order based on first come first served. You can't choose specific courts though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you can do, but what The Beaver said is true. The only thing I'll add is that usually, off campus band Ds are less subscribed than on campus band Ds.

I forgot to mention that, that is important, if en-suite matters more to you than location, then Manor Park as your first.

I am not too happy with seeing this, unless there has been specific need drawn from students on premium accommodation (which I doubt there is) then I do not see this as a good move. When the consultation with the union was on a year and a bit back on additional rooms at Manor Park, what was mainly on the cards was more Band D accommodation, as it is so oversubscribed and it costs a relatively small amount to make D's over C's (whether D's are needed instead of C's is another matter though), and the pay back on rooms from D's is apparently faster, which allows for more accommodation to be built faster, if needed.

(Original post by Fward)
    I would say that is the best option, safer to get a C if you don't get a D, B if you are unlucky, it can happen since it is a lottery.

For my side note, check out this on page 13, premium giant studio flat with 2 rooms, £140.63 single, per week, cheaper than a Surrey Band F yet better, disappointed (I saw this when looking at UEA for a MSc, couldn't afford one of these though )
    http://www.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/A...uide+2012-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)

Don't go for Manor Park. Everybody there seems to moan about how quiet it is and how little they see their flatmates. So yeah, personally I think Band B represents the best value for money, but I'm sure many would disagree as admittedly the Band B buildings are in questionable condition .
    No way...i get woken up 3/4 times every night. Although it mainly depends on where you live. If you live on the main road near the reception, it would be difficult to get any sleep
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playa10)
    No way...i get woken up 3/4 times every night. Although it mainly depends on where you live. If you live on the main road near the reception, it would be difficult to get any sleep
    How do you find living at Manor Park?? is the 15 min walk annoying?
    Also what band are you living in??
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to mention that, that is important, if en-suite matters more to you than location, then Manor Park as your first.

I am not too happy with seeing this, unless there has been specific need drawn from students on premium accommodation (which I doubt there is) then I do not see this as a good move. When the consultation with the union was on a year and a bit back on additional rooms at Manor Park, what was mainly on the cards was more Band D accommodation, as it is so oversubscribed and it costs a relatively small amount to make D's over C's (whether D's are needed instead of C's is another matter though), and the pay back on rooms from D's is apparently faster, which allows for more accommodation to be built faster, if needed.

Agree with you entirely there, I'd be happier to see more band Cs or Ds, although I guess anything is better than nothing, as the people in the Fs will free up a few more rooms in the lower bands. Definitely could have been put to better use though from a student perspective. There's probably more going on behind the scenes though, as to why the uni would want more "premium" rooms, I'm sure they'll come in useful, and I'm sure they won't be empty!

(Original post by Fward)
    How do you find living at Manor Park?? is the 15 min walk annoying?
    Also what band are you living in??
    Apart from the Band Fs, which aren't available yet, manor park is entirely band D (as far as I know).
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the Band Fs, which aren't available yet, manor park is entirely band D (as far as I know).
    Looking at surrey website...Band E is also at Manor Park...so they are all ensuites
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fward)
    Looking at surrey website...Band E is also at Manor Park...so they are all ensuites
    Ah, I'd no idea there were Es at Manor Park. Learn something new every day I guess. But yes, they're all en-suite. Electronic keys to the doors too, not really important, but they make a nice beep.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I'd no idea there were Es at Manor Park. Learn something new every day I guess. But yes, they're all en-suite. Electronic keys to the doors too, not really important, but they make a nice beep.
    Are there not electronic keys on campus as well??

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 30, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.