The Student Room Group

Deferring then reapplying

So I'm in a situation where I am taking a gap year. I had offers for entry in 2012, but asked for these to be deferred to 2013. I just wanted to check that if I accept this deferred offer, I am then still able to reject it after receiving my grades, so that I can reapply?
Also, do you have to reject them, or can you just reapply and keep your deferred offers just in case?
Reply 2
You can't reapply whilst holding a deferred offer. If you want to reapply you need to contact the uni and tell them to release you - or if you decide immediately after results day you follow the information on the AS12 letter UCAS send you. Yes, you can change your mind and decide you don't want that place.
Reply 3
Original post by crazy1234
So I'm in a situation where I am taking a gap year. I had offers for entry in 2012, but asked for these to be deferred to 2013. I just wanted to check that if I accept this deferred offer, I am then still able to reject it after receiving my grades, so that I can reapply?

Hey didn't you get into Bath? Where do you want to re-apply? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Yash13
Hey didn't you get into Bath? Where do you want to re-apply? :smile:

Yeah I did :smile: Is that where you are firming?

Depending on grades (otherwise wherever i defer), I'm going to reapply, hopefully something like Durham, UCL, LSE, Bath, (maybe Oxbridge) :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah I did :smile: Is that where you are firming?

Depending on grades (otherwise wherever i defer), I'm going to reapply, hopefully something like Durham, UCL, LSE, Bath, (maybe Oxbridge) :smile:

Yeah I firmed Bath. :smile:

I am going to wait for my grades as well. Then if they are as predicted then I'll re-apply to similar universities as well. 18th August will be the day I decide my fate :O
Reply 6
Original post by Yash13
Yeah I firmed Bath. :smile:

I am going to wait for my grades as well. Then if they are as predicted then I'll re-apply to similar universities as well. 18th August will be the day I decide my fate :O

Wicked :smile: Did you go to the open day for Bath? The whole campus is actually really good, and the course pretty good too, it even tempted a few of my mates with offers from Warwick/UCL.

What are your predicted grades then? And what would you do during a gap year?

Also are you Indian, as yash is an indian name?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Wicked :smile: Did you go to the open day for Bath? The whole campus is actually really good, and the course pretty good too, it even tempted a few of my mates with offers from Warwick/UCL.

What are your predicted grades then? And what would you do during a gap year?

Also are you Indian, as yash is an indian name?

Yeah I did. The place is breathtaking and just feels like a place I'd like to take a holiday. The course is well structured and the placement year is a nice proposition. Lol I saw someone on the studentroom who rejected Warwick for Bath :O Really shows how great it is but I am just unsure whether I can get a place in the Top 5 if I reapply.

I have been predicted A*A*A*. I think I would find some work, do some travelling, retake anything I need to and research Universities properly this time. Maybe even take SATs :biggrin: Wbu?

Yup haha. Are you? Not that Crazy is an Indian name but usually when someone asks me it because they are too xD
Reply 8
Get three A*s and you will get a place at a top 5 :smile:

I've got a place on the KPMG gap year scheme so I'll do that, probably do further maths if I reapply, see if I can get an internship somewhere else, then travelling for a couple of months.

Actually I was looking at the SATs aswell, probably going to look into a bit more over the summer, because I was reading somewhere that a few american universities and some other international ones accept completed A-levels, and an SAT in critical reading or something like that.

Yeah I am :smile:
Reply 9

I've got a place on the KPMG gap year scheme so I'll do that, probably do further maths if I reapply, see if I can get an internship somewhere else, then travelling for a couple of months.

Actually I was looking at the SATs aswell, probably going to look into a bit more over the summer, because I was reading somewhere that a few american universities and some other international ones accept completed A-levels, and an SAT in critical reading or something like that.

Its going to be hard though!! I hope so otherwise I'm going to look a bit retarded haha.

Awesome, congratulations. There were none left in London or Reading so I didn't apply (it was in Manchester LOL). I want to do Further Maths (full a level) next year but people were telling me that will look bad because its A levels over 3 years but I am not retaking I just made a bad choice by not taking it. I need to get some work experience I hope I can find some, if I take a gap year that is (not sure atm).

Really? That would be awesome. I need to look into it as well. I think the gap year allows to me to make better decision tbh. Its just I am so eager that I just don't mind going to Bath, even though its lovely I am not sure if its the best place for me.

Oh lol wicked.

As someone who is currently on a gap year and decided they wanted to apply to the US at the very last minute, I'm happy to offer advice (just for the record critical reading is a part of the main SAT; you haven't researched this quite enough :wink:).
Reply 11
Original post by NothingCrushesUs
As someone who is currently on a gap year and decided they wanted to apply to the US at the very last minute, I'm happy to offer advice (just for the record critical reading is a part of the main SAT; you haven't researched this quite enough :wink:).

Thanks :smile: I'll PM you a few questions after exams are finished so in July, if you don't mind?

Where are you going next year then?
Thanks :smile: I'll PM you a few questions after exams are finished so in July, if you don't mind?

Where are you going next year then?

Hiya,

No problem, I'm happy to help. Just for the record, if you are going to leave it until the summer, make sure that you keep good relations with all your teachers and heads of year etc. as they will have some very perculiar references and things to write for you (totally different to what was put on UCAS). Also, keep an eye on http://www.fulbright.co.uk/news-events/usa-study-events/usa-college-day.

I have a place at Oxford :smile:
Reply 13

i have recently decided that i want to take a gap year, i have some offers for next year but haven't firmed anything. how do i defer a year or is it too late now?
Original post by elc48
i have recently decided that i want to take a gap year, i have some offers for next year but haven't firmed anything. how do i defer a year or is it too late now?

Phone the admissions team at the university that you want to go to, and ask them if they can defer your offer.
Reply 15
Original post by elc48

What NothingCrushesUs said, or you can email the admissions team. This is what I did, as it gives them time to think about it, if that's what they need...

Quick Reply