The Student Room Group

Please be kind ... I need some advice

My daughter is in Y12

Bright ... went to a Comp that was in Special Measures but achieved 3A* and 6A grades ... best results in the school

Moved for 6th form to a very good school ... she had to do an admissions test and score in the top 10% so this reassured us that she was better than the GCSEs suggested

Studying Biology Chemistry Maths History (and FM AS over 2 years)

She wanted to go into medicine

BUT ... she is finding Chemistry really hard ... we have discussed the reasons with teachers and some of it is down to the poor GCSE teaching :frown: ... she is aiming for at least a B in AS and thinks she can get the A but is scared of A2 being even harder

So ... my question ... if Chemistry is hard for her should she give up on medicine or could she consider a Medical Science or Biomedical Science degree and look for graduate Medicine ... is this a viable route

I want to support her whatever she aims for but am scared of being a pushy Mum who is focussed on medicine even though that is not sensible

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks for reading

Scroll to see replies

I would only advise that, whatever she decides upon, be it medicine or medical sciences, she should be happy in doing it. The worst thing is to be pressured into doing medicine.

However, if she really is determined to do medicine, then she might find that B very quickly turning into an A.
Keep in mind that the graduate entry route is extremely competitive (more competitive than normal entry, so I've heard), and it would mean spending 3 years of her life on a subject she doesn't really want to do. However, if she finds the whole process of applying and getting straight As just a bit too daunting and is genuinely interested in, say, medicinal chemistry, then nothing should hold her back in that respect. See how she feels down the line.
Make sure she feels certain that she does want to do medicine, as it's a career that really requires commitment, and that's shown through the application process!

Best of luck to your daughter :smile: I hope she gets what she wants, whatever that may be.
Chemistry is generally tough compared to other subjects for a lot of people doing A level, I'd say keep working at it if she really wants to do medicine - it's not impossible to get an A; if other people can get it, so can she.

It's worth trying to get that A anyway, what's the point in giving up.
Reply 3
Original post by TheDannyManCan
... ...

Thank you for your reply

She has been looking at some BioMedical degrees and TBH she does seem interested in them in their own right ... so that has reassured me that it would not only be a means to an end ... many of them seem to offer plenty of options in their 2nd and 3rd years meaning that she could shift more towards or away from medicine once she started degree level study
Reply 4
Original post by Waterstorm
Chemistry is generally tough compared to other subjects for a lot of people doing A level,

Thanks for this

I have said this too her

I am a mere mathematician so anything beyond that and physics is impossible imo :smile:

but it is good to here that this may be typical and not just her
Reply 5
Hi, sorry to hear your daughter is having a hard time with chemistry.

I myself was quite upset when I tried to study for chemistry. When I decided that I wanted to pursue medicine, I knew chemistry would be a challenge.

I had always been a visual learner - diagrams, pictures, charts helped me understand certain topics better than regular words. For chemistry, I decided to go on YouTube and search for the topics I didn't understand because I was a visual learner. There were many channels that used various methods to help the students to grasp the concept.

Khanacademy was probably the channel I used the most when I was trying to grasp any chemistry concepts.

My main point is - she should really think about her learning style and use the online resources available in order to fully understand the topic she may have problems with. I have always had troubles with chemistry, but by utilizing the resources available around me, I was able to achieve my milestone and successfully got into the medical school of my choice.

Make sure to provide her with encouragement and support (which I am sure you already are), and motivate her to overcome that challenge and reach her final goal.

As many have said, do not concentrate on the problem - concentrate on finding the solution. :smile:

Best of luck to your daughter and your family!
K2
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm a first year medic and I went to a comp. on special measures. I stayed there for 6th form so essentially had to teach myself most of A-level chemistry. It was HARD but, so far, I don't think I've encountered anything quite as hard during my time at medschool. If your daughter really wants to study Medicine, I recommend she gives chemistry all the work and time that it requires to get the best grade - my medschool says that it is a compulsory part of the offer because this is the level of chemistry required for medicine and that they don't have any time to teach it - so finding chemistry hard should definitely not detract people from studying medicine.

Also, may I ask which exam board she is on? For OCR, it's a hell of a lot easier to retake the AS exams in year 13 once you have cemented the basics - many of my friends got D/Es at AS then went on to get A/B at a-level through retaking the earlier exams.
Reply 7
Original post by TenOfThem

BUT ... she is finding Chemistry really hard ... we have discussed the reasons with teachers and some of it is down to the poor GCSE teaching :frown: ... she is aiming for at least a B in AS and thinks she can get the A but is scared of A2 being even harder

To be honest, that is not an excuse. Everyone finds A level chemistry hard...that is why it is one of the required subjects to get into medicine, not because you really need it, but more because it 'separates the men from the boys'. GCSE chemistry wasn't very helpful for A levels.
Reply 8
Original post by doctork2

K2

Thank you ... your advice is sound :smile:

She has recently started using KhanAcademy and we bought a revision guide that was recommended on here that she is finding useful

She has used these this holiday and does seem to be more confident ... it is now that she is saying the A may be possible

I think that Chemistry has been the biggest jump from GCSE for her and she does just need to find her way with it

Thank you again
Original post by doctork2
Hi, sorry to hear your daughter is having a hard time with chemistry.

I myself was quite upset when I tried to study for chemistry. When I decided that I wanted to pursue medicine, I knew chemistry would be a challenge.

I had always been a visual learner - diagrams, pictures, charts helped me understand certain topics better than regular words. For chemistry, I decided to go on YouTube and search for the topics I didn't understand because I was a visual learner. There were many channels that used various methods to help the students to grasp the concept.

Khanacademy was probably the channel I used the most when I was trying to grasp any chemistry concepts.

My main point is - she should really think about her learning style and use the online resources available in order to fully understand the topic she may have problems with. I have always had troubles with chemistry, but by utilizing the resources available around me, I was able to achieve my milestone and successfully got into the medical school of my choice.

Make sure to provide her with encouragement and support (which I am sure you already are), and motivate her to overcome that challenge and reach her final goal.

As many have said, do not concentrate on the problem - concentrate on finding the solution. :smile:

Best of luck to your daughter and your family!
K2

Khanacademy is a great resource! (I love Sal :biggrin:)
Reply 10
Original post by lpassby
I'm a first year medic and I went to a comp. on special measures. I stayed there for 6th form so essentially had to teach myself most of A-level chemistry. It was HARD but, so far, I don't think I've encountered anything quite as hard during my time at medschool. If your daughter really wants to study Medicine, I recommend she gives chemistry all the work and time that it requires to get the best grade - my medschool says that it is a compulsory part of the offer because this is the level of chemistry required for medicine and that they don't have any time to teach it - so finding chemistry hard should definitely not detract people from studying medicine.

Also, may I ask which exam board she is on? For OCR, it's a hell of a lot easier to retake the AS exams in year 13 once you have cemented the basics - many of my friends got D/Es at AS then went on to get A/B at a-level through retaking the earlier exams.

That is really useful information regarding the level not getting harder ... thanks for that

She does OCR B Salters
Reply 11
Original post by digitalis
To be honest, that is not an excuse. Everyone finds A level chemistry hard...that is why it is one of the required subjects to get into medicine, not because you really need it, but more because it 'separates the men from the boys'. GCSE chemistry wasn't very helpful for A levels.

Thank you

I appreciate what you are saying and that is why she and I are now asking these questions re the possibility of medicine

We are ready to accept that it may be too much :frown:
Original post by Waterstorm
Chemistry is generally tough compared to other subjects for a lot of people doing A level, I'd say keep working at it if she really wants to do medicine - it's not impossible to get an A; if other people can get it, so can she.

It's worth trying to get that A anyway, what's the point in giving up.

I barely passed chemistry. got E. :colondollar:
Reply 13
Would help to know what parts of Chemistry she is finding difficult. I thought AS was a bit more difficult than A2 because of all the organic reactions I have to memorize for my exam board... In my exam board there's more emphasis on physical chem in A2 which is easier for me.
Reply 14
Those GCSEs are really good - you don't need to make excuses for them! ("...better than the GCSEs suggested...")

By what measure is she 'struggling' - have you actually had poor test results, or is it just how your daughter feels, which may be unfounded.

If you daughter really is set on medicine, she needs to use that motivation to do well now. Graduate entry is far more competitive and not an option you want to resort to. It sounds like you are being really supportive about this - keep it up, even if you're feeling a little mean at times :wink:
Original post by TenOfThem
My daughter is in Y12

Bright ... went to a Comp that was in Special Measures but achieved 3A* and 6A grades ... best results in the school

Moved for 6th form to a very good school ... she had to do an admissions test and score in the top 10% so this reassured us that she was better than the GCSEs suggested

Studying Biology Chemistry Maths History (and FM AS over 2 years)

She wanted to go into medicine

So ... my question ... if Chemistry is hard for her should she give up on medicine or could she consider a Medical Science or Biomedical Science degree and look for graduate Medicine ... is this a viable route

I want to support her whatever she aims for but am scared of being a pushy Mum who is focussed on medicine even though that is not sensible

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks for reading

People only find Chemistry difficult because they don't understand the basics (like you said). Have you considered getting her a Chemistry tutor?
Reply 16
Original post by nexttime

By what measure is she 'struggling' - have you actually had poor test results, or is it just how your daughter feels, which may be unfounded.

She achieved an A on her Coursework but has had a mix of As and Bs in tests ... with a lot of hard work

I think it is about her perception and more to do with a fear of it being even harder next year

Part of it is that she is a good mathematician a natural Biologist (she understands stuff that makes no sense to me) and she is also a good historian so the fact that Chem is hard throws her :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by NutterFrutter
People only find Chemistry difficult because they don't understand the basics (like you said). Have you considered getting her a Chemistry tutor?

Tutors locally are non-existent or poor

As we found when we were looking for GCSE
Reply 18
Original post by bmqib
Would help to know what parts of Chemistry she is finding difficult. I thought AS was a bit more difficult than A2 because of all the organic reactions I have to memorize for my exam board... In my exam board there's more emphasis on physical chem in A2 which is easier for me.

I try to pretend I understand but have no idea
If she is struggling with chemistry I imagine medical sciences or biomedical science would be harder for her than medicine. At least in medicine the science is somewhat 'diluted' by the clinical stuff. I'm rubbish at chemistry, but I've not found that to be much of an issue in med school so far. Might be worth getting her a chemistry tutor. It would help her both understand the subject and feel more confident about it.

Latest

Trending

Trending